Honestly, how did Axl even get Buckethead to join in the first place?

Josh Freese had known Buckethead, and suggested him to Axl to replace Finck while he was out with NIN. Bucket likely helped in bringing in Brain also, since the two collaborated a lot in the 90's.

The story about Axl bringing him a rare Leatherface doll for xmas is a cute story :P

honestly, can we talk about what really matters on mygnr? can we talk about when axl releases the next new gnr record? can we talk about something serious?

can we talk about the official cd title? the official tracklisting? the official appearances on guitar solos? what stores will sell it? will it be free? iTunes? can we talk about it?

i'd rather get serious talking about and getting official info on the next gnr cd before 2014 closes rather than the same old ha ha he he ho ho shits giggles talk

No.

• Like 1

it's a cute story. cute stories don't get me any closer getting real official info about next gnr cd

You're getting all worked up for something that may or may not even exist one day..the forum would be dead if we only talked about breaking news from the GnR camp :P

He had ambitions back in the day of being a "rock star" and not just a studio guitarist playing on soundtracks and having a small niche following, but the stress from touring, bandmates and illness became an issue; I'm curious if Bucket and Axl have tried to remain friends since then

Bucket has played in bands/supergroups that resemble GnR since his time there..nothing as mainstream with stadium tours, but a few albums

Science Faxtion

Praxis

Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains

I think it was the same way he got all these guys to sign on back in 1999 or whenever.

They were taking a flyer on a guy who at one time was huger than huge. Would he be able to replicate it? Who knows? But they were willing to take a shot.

And I think a common denominator in all the guys that left was their coming to the realization that not only was he not going to be able to replicate it, he wasn't even really going to try.

(Just replying to this to bump it past the pockets drama and add my 2 cents)

Tough to imagine now, but in those days Axl was still just a few years removed from wrapping up the biggest, rockingest tour ever, the UYI's were fairly fresh in the rear view (TSI was a brief hiccup for all we knew), and the future should've been nothing but more awesomeness.

What a difference 15 years or so can make- imagine any self-respecting (or even not self-respecting) musician signing up with this permanent holding pattern today...

Tough to imagine now, but in those days Axl was still just a few years removed from wrapping up the biggest, rockingest tour ever, the UYI's were fairly fresh in the rear view (TSI was a brief hiccup for all we knew), and the future should've been nothing but more awesomeness.

What a difference 15 years or so can make- imagine any self-respecting (or even not self-respecting) musician signing up with this permanent holding pattern today...

Yep, yep.

At the time, it wasn't a bad bet. Both Axl and Guns N' ROses were so huge. And there was a void in the rock band genre at the time, so that only made it even more attractive.

But look how it all went. Imagine this sales pitch, circa 1999 :

"Well, the hope it to have the album out by 2008. And just so we're clear, I won't lift a finger to promote it and draw some attention to your work. Just want to make sure we are on the same page there.

We won't start touring for over a year after that, and really won't tour our own country until 2011. Then, fingers crossed, by 2012 we'll be playing smaller club type venues in Las Vegas by. That goes well, we do it again in 2014.

This is all best case scenario, obviously. We're going to have to get a little bit lucky and have all this play out just like this.

You in?"

• Like 2

I think it was the same way he got all these guys to sign on back in 1999 or whenever.They were taking a flyer on a guy who at one time was huger than huge. Would he be able to replicate it? Who knows? But they were willing to take a shot.And I think a common denominator in all the guys that left was their coming to the realization that not only was he not going to be able to replicate it, he wasn't even really going to try.

Be fair, he tried for a while. It's not his fault rock music as a commercial force died while he was busy making plans.

Amazing how much reminisce there is in this thread... but to add my 2 cents worth, if CD had been released in 2002-4, that band had stayed together, and put out CDII by 2008... imagine where they could have got to...

Bucket was the best thing that happened to NuGnr - it took the band in a new modern direction, a new sound, and did this with both the live concerts when covering classic GNR, and more importantly on the album. He was the single best thing on CD. And when he and then Robin left, it was all downhill.

With 2000-2004 era we had a band that was forging a new sound for the band, that many now miss.

The 2010-2014 is weirdly a nostalgia act both for original Guns and NuGNR - you've got BBF (as much as I like him) and DJ (don't like him) brought in to replicate BH and Robin, AND Slash.

Axl could do a lot worse than bring back BH.

I remember reading a post on here a while ago, and who knows if it's true, that detailed Buckethead's journey in Guns. It claimed to be from "an insider's perspective" but who knows with those things.

Allegedly, Bucket was a big GNR fan and was very interested in the idea of working with Axl and taking the band's sound in a wild new direction. He then grew frustrated with the lack of recording, the lack of releasing what was already there, the missed tour dates, the riots and the eventual cancelled tour etc. and he bailed. This was coupled with (again, allegedly) a rivalry with Robin and Bullying from the likes of Tommy & Del because he did not fit the GNR image.

Take it for what it's worth. There's always the money factor too.

I think long term, it was doomed from the start. Bucket is too prolific as an artist to ever be in a band with Axl.

But he was there for 4 years. He probably recorded a ton of music for Axl in the studio. Even when you take into consideration it probably wasn't 4 full years, with Bucket's improvisional style of working he must have created a lot of riffs and solos for Axl to use.

Bucket's abilities worked well with Robin's style on Chinese. It worked, but Axl was as almost always too late, and they quit.

I think a big factor of Buckethead leaving the band was the 02/03 tour cancellation being blamed entirely on him from Axl's press statement, on top of the internal harassment and frustrations with getting an album out.

• Like 1

I think a big factor of Buckethead leaving the band was the 02/03 tour cancellation being blamed entirely on him from Axl's press statement, on top of the internal harassment and frustrations with getting an album out.

Also a big factor: Axl's lunacy.

I remember reading a post on here a while ago, and who knows if it's true, that detailed Buckethead's journey in Guns. It claimed to be from "an insider's perspective" but who knows with those things.

Allegedly, Bucket was a big GNR fan and was very interested in the idea of working with Axl and taking the band's sound in a wild new direction. He then grew frustrated with the lack of recording, the lack of releasing what was already there, the missed tour dates, the riots and the eventual cancelled tour etc. and he bailed. This was coupled with (again, allegedly) a rivalry with Robin and Bullying from the likes of Tommy & Del because he did not fit the GNR image.

If there was bullying, it's through outright jealousy.

And how was the tour cancellation Bucket's fault? I must have missed that Axl quote.

And how was the tour cancellation Bucket's fault? I must have missed that Axl quote.

Following the euphoria of [the band's appearance at the] Rock in Rio [concert], I jumped the gun and arranged a European tour as our plan was to have the new album out this year. Unfortunately, Buckethead's illness not only stopped the tour, but it slowed down our progress on Chinese Democracy. I am very sorry to disappoint our fans, but I can assure them that this is not what Axl wanted, nor is it 'Another page from the Howard Hughes of rock,' as some media will no doubt portray it. I made a plan, and unfortunately it did not work out.

The band has been put in an untenable position by guitarist Buckethead and his untimely departure. On behalf of Guns N' Roses and myself I apologize to the fans who planned to see us at Rock In Rio - Lisbon. The festival and its tradition mean a lot to me personally and I sincerely do not enjoy being robbed by one of our own of the opportunity to be the first artist to play it for the third time. I would also like to express my gratitude to those who chose to embrace Buckethead's role in Guns and support our new line up. We greatly appreciate Bucket's contributions and remain open to 'discussions' as there are obviously several issues to resolve. In the meantime rather than dwelling on the negative, Guns will be moving forward and surprisingly (without giving away any details) this unfortunate set of circumstances may have given us the opportunity to take our recording that one extra step further. Regardless we hope to announce a release date within the next few months.

The band has been put in an untenable position by guitarist Buckethead and his untimely departure. During his tenure with the band Buckethead has been inconsistent and erratic in both his behavior and commitment - despite being under contract - creating uncertainty and confusion and making it virtually impossible to move forward with recording, rehearsals and live plans with confidence. His transient lifestyle has made it impossible for even his closest friends to have nearly any form of communication with him whatsoever. Last time I talked to Bucket, he called to tell me he had bought a bootleg DVD off EBay and how proud he was to be in Guns and how impressed he was with everyone's performance. Then, in February we got word from Brain that Bucket had called him and said he was back in Guns!? Apparently, according to Bucket he had been "Gone" but had turned himself around and was really excited to do Rio-Lisbon and a European tour. Somewhere in the following month things changed once again. According to those who have actually spoken with Buckethead it appears his plans were to secure a recording contract with Sanctuary Records which I encouraged my management to make available to him, quit GN'R and to use his involvement in the upcoming Guns release to immediately promote his individual efforts...Nice guy!

Yeah, very true. "Bullying" also makes it sound lame, but it could really boil down Tommy & Del being dicks to him, plus the lack of progress on touring and recording. Can't blame him for jumping ship if that was the case. For the life of me though I wish I could find the story on here that claimed to lay all of this shit out in detail.

Following the euphoria of [the band's appearance at the] Rock in Rio [concert], I jumped the gun and arranged a European tour as our plan was to have the new album out this year. Unfortunately, Buckethead's illness not only stopped the tour, but it slowed down our progress on Chinese Democracy. I am very sorry to disappoint our fans, but I can assure them that this is not what Axl wanted, nor is it 'Another page from the Howard Hughes of rock,' as some media will no doubt portray it. I made a plan, and unfortunately it did not work out.

The band has been put in an untenable position by guitarist Buckethead and his untimely departure. On behalf of Guns N' Roses and myself I apologize to the fans who planned to see us at Rock In Rio - Lisbon. The festival and its tradition mean a lot to me personally and I sincerely do not enjoy being robbed by one of our own of the opportunity to be the first artist to play it for the third time. I would also like to express my gratitude to those who chose to embrace Buckethead's role in Guns and support our new line up. We greatly appreciate Bucket's contributions and remain open to 'discussions' as there are obviously several issues to resolve. In the meantime rather than dwelling on the negative, Guns will be moving forward and surprisingly (without giving away any details) this unfortunate set of circumstances may have given us the opportunity to take our recording that one extra step further. Regardless we hope to announce a release date within the next few months.

The band has been put in an untenable position by guitarist Buckethead and his untimely departure. During his tenure with the band Buckethead has been inconsistent and erratic in both his behavior and commitment - despite being under contract - creating uncertainty and confusion and making it virtually impossible to move forward with recording, rehearsals and live plans with confidence. His transient lifestyle has made it impossible for even his closest friends to have nearly any form of communication with him whatsoever. Last time I talked to Bucket, he called to tell me he had bought a bootleg DVD off EBay and how proud he was to be in Guns and how impressed he was with everyone's performance. Then, in February we got word from Brain that Bucket had called him and said he was back in Guns!? Apparently, according to Bucket he had been "Gone" but had turned himself around and was really excited to do Rio-Lisbon and a European tour. Somewhere in the following month things changed once again. According to those who have actually spoken with Buckethead it appears his plans were to secure a recording contract with Sanctuary Records which I encouraged my management to make available to him, quit GN'R and to use his involvement in the upcoming Guns release to immediately promote his individual efforts...Nice guy!

Very interesting. Had obviously seen the quote about when he left... but not the other two. What illness did he have? If he was ill then it clearly wasn't his fault.

I know they are legit quotes, but you have to question them when they say things like "we hope to have a release date within the next few months"...!

What was most interesting about this situation though was that Axl was open to "discussions", and after that whole Dr Pepper thing he said he'd share his with Bucket, so he obviosly has good feelings for the guy.