some questions for Marc

nico_france

Dear Marc,

First I have to congratulate and thank you for your fantastic book on the early days of Gnr. It it is amazing and it is such a great pleasure to read. I've grown with UYI and Appetite and Gnr has always been a special band for me…

I want share some thoughts and specific questions with you.

I think there exists, for many fans, a very big frustration that comes from the fact that:

1) The band which is currently called Gnr cannot be accepted as Gnr (despite of the talent of Axl) because it lacks too much of the sound and personality of real Gnr (Chinese Democracy illustrates that: very good songs, but there is not the quality, style, interplay of the duo Slash/Izzy… even with 6 guitarists (!) on it ).

2) Axl seems not to care about what fans feel, and in the same time speaks badly of Slash (inside himself I ‘m sure he knows that he lost so much with the departure of Slash - no to mentioned Izzy or Duff).

Something should have happened that we don’t know, but it is a mystery. To illustrate my point, here’s an extract from a French interview from 1993 (re-published in Hard Force Magazine, rare non-serie #1, 1994, trad. by myself):

Q: Axl, do you think that your popularity exceeds that of Guns N Roses?

A: I’m gonna say to you the plain truth! Nothing will be able to trouble the Slash/Axl union . As long as Slash and me are on the same page, Guns N Roses will exist. Anyway, if I become even more worshiped, it will only help the group. In fact, I don’t care about all of this because I have attained my goal in life, with Guns N Roses. This band is my life and I need it.”

So, my questions are:

- How is it possible that Axl has forgotten why Gnr was a unique band?

- Is Axl aware that many Gnr fans are hurt of the situation? (I mean, even without reunion, if peace was between Slash and Axl it would be already much).

- And finally, do you think a Gnr reunion for a unique date would be possible? Would it be possible even for them to refuse a reunion for half a billion dollars ? (information much discussed, but Robert Plant is said to have refused an 800 million dollars - offer from Richard Bronson for a Led Zep reunion)

Axl wouldn't do a reunion gig or tour for Money as long as he feels the way he does about Slash. However I think he would do it if it was a trade off for the cure to cancer because Axl is a good guy and would take one for the team to save peoples life's.

Axl does care about the fans but the fan don't understand how Axl feels about Slash and thats there is no way for money or the fans that he would work with Slash as things stand now between them. I know that sucks for everyone including the band but thats just the way it is. In 1995 I thought it would boil over in a year or so but I was wrong.

Edited by recklessroad

Axl wouldn't do a reunion gig or tour for Money as long as he feels the way he does about Slash. However I think he would do it if it was a trade off for the cure to cancer because Axl is a good guy and would take one for the team to save peoples life's.

Axl does care about the fans but the fan don't understand how Axl feels about Slash and thats there is no way for money or the fans that he would work with Slash as things stand now between them. I know that sucks for everyone including the band but thats just the way it is. In 1995 I thought it would boil over in a year or so but I was wrong.

This story gives such an impression of waste. I have to recognize that it is easy to put the blame on Axl, but he cannot be seen as the only responsible for the situation.