Tommy vs Duff: You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory

WFA

Tommy Stinson vs Duff McKagan  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Both are fuckin' dreadful, Johnny Thunders is who does that song right...cuz it's his. First of all it's written to be sung softly, not fuckin' grizzled out. It's not a merry pissheads 'punk-goes-ballad' sing-a-long thing, it's a really sad, resigned and defeated song. There's a subtlety to it that just totally appears to've escaped Duff and The General, love them both though i do.

• Like 2

Both are fuckin' dreadful, Johnny Thunders is who does that song right...cuz it's his. First of all it's written to be sung softly, not fuckin' grizzled out. It's not a merry pissheads 'punk-goes-ballad' sing-a-long thing, it's a really sad, resigned and defeated song. There's a subtlety to it that just totally appears to've escaped Duff and The General, love them both though i do.

Yeah, but Tommy came closer to that than Duff.

True, at least Tommy appears to be trying. I don't even think Johnnys album version is the best version of this song, it's best when it's just plain accoustic.

There's this fantastic album which is a Johnny greatest hits called Born Too Loose: The Very Best of Johnny Thunders, were there's a version where it's just Johnny and his guitar and it sounds fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhuhuhuhuhuuhucking fantastic :)

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1

True, at least Tommy appears to be trying. I don't even think Johnnys album version is the best version of this song, it's best when it's just plain accoustic.

There's this fantastic album which is a Johnny greatest hits called Born Too Loose: The Very Best of Johnny Thunders, were there's a version where it's just Johnny and his guitar and it sounds fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhuhuhuhuhuuhucking fantastic :)

I've got that album, it's fucking amazing

True, at least Tommy appears to be trying. I don't even think Johnnys album version is the best version of this song, it's best when it's just plain accoustic. There's this fantastic album which is a Johnny greatest hits called Born Too Loose: The Very Best of Johnny Thunders, were there's a version where it's just Johnny and his guitar and it sounds fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhuhuhuhuhuuhucking fantastic :)

You want to get your hands on 'Hurt Me' - pretty much a whole album of just Johnny and his guitar.

True, at least Tommy appears to be trying. I don't even think Johnnys album version is the best version of this song, it's best when it's just plain accoustic. There's this fantastic album which is a Johnny greatest hits called Born Too Loose: The Very Best of Johnny Thunders, were there's a version where it's just Johnny and his guitar and it sounds fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhuhuhuhuhuuhucking fantastic :)

You want to get your hands on 'Hurt Me' - pretty much a whole album of just Johnny and his guitar.

Had it since i was a kid man, its brilliant. He co-wrote that song with Richard Hell yknow. In fact i've heard every Johnny album out there :)

• Like 1

Compare Tommy with Duff? Can only be a joke.

Duff is an icon. the timbre of the his bass is remarkable and imitated , amazing composer ... a complete musician.

Only the blindest of fanboys don't look at the preview image of the videos they're ranting about. If you had, you would clearly see that neither of them are holding a bass. Edited by Damn_Smooth
  • Like 1

Thought you might have. :) A near-perfect album - just wish he'd done a full version of It Ain't Me Babe instead of the 22 second cocktease we get!

Anyone seen the recent Looking For Johnny doc? Worth seeking out?

I haven't no, i been wanting to see that, the dude who made it recently made one on The Clash which was quite impressive. I'll tell you one I have seen though, it's by Lech Kowalski who did DOA, it's The Last Rock n Roll Movie, it's all about Johnny and FUCK ME if it ain't the most grim documentary I've ever seen.

Reason only got 22 seconds is cuz Johnny was always too fucked to remember the words, just like Eve of Destruction, he's done in a billion times, never proper right ever i don't think, bless his wax-looking forearms.

• Like 2

Neither

It's a boring song for pretentious so called "punks" who make millions

Y'know Johnny died almost skint.

Yes, but Stinson is a Johnny-wannabe. Stinson's about as fake as they come, poser in the true sense of the word.

On the road aged 13 with The Mats in 1980 when punk was still punk, touring, putting in work? That dont sound like no wannabe to me, that sounds born and bred. The guy is a legend on The Mats alone, him being in GnR to me is like, just a weird cool coincidence, his dues are to do with what took place there for him.

• Like 1

Neither

Yes, but Stinson is a Johnny-wannabe. Stinson's about as fake as they come, poser in the true sense of the word.

On the road aged 13 with The Mats in 1980 when punk was still punk, touring, putting in work? That dont sound like no wannabe to me, that sounds born and bred. The guy is a legend on The Mats alone, him being in GnR to me is like, just a weird cool coincidence, his dues are to do with what took place there for him.

Joining GNR is the absolute most poser-ish thing to do. Acting like a punk wearing Versace suits? Please. He's a phony.

The Mats were far from a punk band, and you should know that, of all people. Just because revisionist history labels them as punk, along with Soul Asylum and the Goo Goo Dolls, for fuck sake, doesn't make it true. Great band? Debatable. They certainly made a few good records but it's all Westerberg's doing, with a nice heaping of Bob Stinson. Tommy was just along for the ride, riding off of his brother's drunk coattails and he once again is riding of someone else's coattails with his faker than fake oh so punk drunk sneer.

Neither

Joining GNR is the absolute most poser-ish thing to do. Acting like a punk wearing Versace suits? Please. He's a phony.

The Mats were far from a punk band, and you should know that, of all people. Just because revisionist history labels them as punk, along with Soul Asylum and the Goo Goo Dolls, for fuck sake, doesn't make it true. Great band? Debatable. They certainly made a few good records but it's all Westerberg's doing, with a nice heaping of Bob Stinson. Tommy was just along for the ride, riding off of his brother's drunk coattails and he once again is riding of someone else's coattails with his faker than fake oh so punk drunk sneer.

I mean when punk was still punk as in they worked that circuit, that minutemen, Black Flag that circuit, they played to, to a greater of lesser degree, that scene and made their bones on that shit, thats the point i was trying to make. I wouldn't lump em in with Soul Asylum or The Goo Goo Dolls, thats just plain unfair :lol:

I think The Mats are fuckin amazing, more than that even if they ain't punk at all I'll tell ya one thing, their debut album sounds like better punk than a lot of punk I've had pass my way.

Out of interest, do you have any reasons other than the stated to dislike the guy?