Aussie fans: An intimate workshop with Richard Fortus Nov 20th 2014

Forgot to mention this is a FREE event

To celebrate the release of The Dead Daisies’ brand new EP ‘Face I Love’ and upcoming Australian Tour, Allans Billy Hyde is giving you the chance to experience the magic that is Richard Fortus, in a rare and exclusive workshop! And it’s all for the love of music.

Two workshops only! Limited spaces! FREE!

Thursday 20 November, 7pm

@ Allans Billy Hyde

Level 1, 197 Church St, Parramatta

Monday 1 December, 7pm

@ Allans Billy Hyde

152 Bourke St, Melbourne

Event just finished, about one and a half hours. Richard gave a bio of his musical career, played his recent SA solo to a backing track, the country picking part before the Transylvania solo song, and parts of Dead Daisies songs along with some of "Better".

During the workshop and in the meet and greet following, he was kind enough to talk a bit about GNR songwriting which led to small bits of info that may be new to some of you. I also asked his permission to share the info on a forum and he was fine with that.

Ill write up more when I get home, about an hour or so.

Edited by rhiad85

Event just finished, about one and a half hours. Richard gave a bio of his musical career, played his recent SA solo to a backing track, the country picking part before the Transylvania solo song, and parts of Dead Daisies songs along with some of "Better".

During the workshop and in the meet and greet following, he was kind enough to talk a bit about GNR songwriting which led to small bits of info that may be new to some of you. I also asked his permission to share the info on a forum and he was fine with that.

Ill write up more when I get home, about an hour or so.

Sounds interesting. Looking forward to the full story.

I brought up the question of songwriting in GNR, mentioning quotes like Ron saying they’ve never written material together, DJ sending 10 demos to Axl etc. Possible new music in contention includes unreleased Buckethead/Finck material, DJ and Richard have written together, and Axl has been building songs based on ideas from the band. There are even some bits originating from Slash, which I assume are from the 95-96 sessions and rerecorded by an existing member. As for Ron, I should be careful because I can’t quote Richard directly, but my understanding was that he (Ron) hasn’t made any contributions.

Axl is “as we speak” working on new music (not sure if this means composing and/or recording vocals), and when Richard finishes with Dead Daisies in Australia, he is returning to GNR sessions. He also repeated the line about 2 or 3 albums of material in the can - I asked if that includes vocals/lyrics, and he said there are, but not on everything. A 2015 release could/should happen, but he is not in a position to know any plans etc.

Some other small bits of info - quoted the “Checkmate” song (aka all cautions made, every chance was given etc), but he didn’t recognise it. I asked him about the 2006 orchestral intro - this is part of a new/unreleased song, but he wasn’t sure if it was still in contention. Buckethead and Finck’s guitar parts are also still intact.

Probably not groundbreaking information, but I tried.

This made me :lol: If it is a legit new song, how sad is that? I bet many members here would instantly recognize it, while GNR's guitarist doesn't? That's just pathetic. For the record: not sure who's more pathetic, us or Richard :lol:

He's the guitar player, been in the band for 10+ years now and is "not in position to know any plans". Real band, not Axl's solo project. Sure.

I'm sure some kid will tell you "BUT TOMMY HAS BEEN IN THE BAND LONGER THAN DUFF!!11" and "RICHARD HAS BEEN IN THE BAND LONGER THAN IZZY!!11" so this is the TRUGNR!!11.

Can you imagine Lars Ulrich or Nikki Sixx saying they are not in a position to know any plans?

Still props to the Rhiad fella for trying to get some info for us. You can't shoot the messenger. It's cool to know Bucket's parts are still around. It'd be great if Slash had a writing credit on the next Gn'R album even if it was from a 20 year old riff.

Edited by xGNRxSTARx
  • Like 1

I brought up the question of songwriting in GNR, mentioning quotes like Ron saying they’ve never written material together, DJ sending 10 demos to Axl etc. Possible new music in contention includes unreleased Buckethead/Finck material, DJ and Richard have written together, and Axl has been building songs based on ideas from the band. There are even some bits originating from Slash, which I assume are from the 95-96 sessions and rerecorded by an existing member. As for Ron, I should be careful because I can’t quote Richard directly, but my understanding was that he (Ron) hasn’t made any contributions.

Axl is “as we speak” working on new music (not sure if this means composing and/or recording vocals), and when Richard finishes with Dead Daisies in Australia, he is returning to GNR sessions. He also repeated the line about 2 or 3 albums of material in the can - I asked if that includes vocals/lyrics, and he said there are, but not on everything. A 2015 release could/should happen, but he is not in a position to know any plans etc

Some other small bits of info quoted the “Checkmate” song (aka all cautions made, every chance was given etc), but he didn’t recognise it. I asked him about the 2006 orchestral intro - this is part of a new/unreleased song, but he wasn’t sure if it was still in contention. Buckethead and Finck’s guitar parts are also still intact.

Interesting that they could be using material from the mid 90s when Slash was still around. I'm glad to know that Buckethead and Finck guitar parts are still intact. That could sound good.

A shame that a lead guitarist of the band is not in the position to discuss any plans. Then people say that this is a band and not Axl solo show. A complete utter joke.

Thanks for the info, rhiad85. I appreciate your effort.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

Just to clarify, I did not directly quote any word for word answers from Richard, I gave my best recollection or understanding of what he was saying, summed up. So he didn't say word for word that he doesn't know what new album plans are - this was in the context of a longer comment about Axl keeping things under wraps until the time is right, different logistical factors etc. I couldn't really sit down and make notes of exactly what he said. Someone else can do a better job than I did in Melbourne.

Edited by rhiad85
  • Like 1

huge thanks to you rhiad. there's a lot of big interesting tidbits in there.

Not only do we have to look forward to the 2004ish era Richard material but we get to look forward to Richard/DJ written material as well. I'm guessing the problem with Ron not contributing is that he's not 'emailing' his ideas to the band since he has always stated he wants to get in a room together.

Hopefully some youtube videos pop up because I want to hear Richard talk about this stuff and hear him play Better.

There was someone else there who asked about The General and Soul Monster. He was a member of this forum but I can't remember what his screen name was. Good to talk to him. That led to my question about song writing. That guy filmed the workshop and is going to post it on youtube at some point. You'll hear most of what I mentioned above, but I also asked him a little more at the signing afterwards.

Probably not important but me and the other guy were raving to Fortus about Finck and the 2006 era. He brought up Wembley and the acoustic show ie "Sailing", "Back in the USSR" etc

That's about it I guess.

Axl is “as we speak” working on new music (not sure if this means composing and/or recording vocals), and when Richard finishes with Dead Daisies in Australia, he is returning to GNR sessions. He also repeated the line about 2 or 3 albums of material in the can - I asked if that includes vocals/lyrics, and he said there are, but not on everything. A 2015 release could/should happen, but he is not in a position to know any plans etc.

Some other small bits of info - quoted the “Checkmate” song (aka all cautions made, every chance was given etc), but he didn’t recognise it. I asked him about the 2006 orchestral intro - this is part of a new/unreleased song, but he wasn’t sure if it was still in contention. Buckethead and Finck’s guitar parts are also still intact.

That's some news right there

i wonder why this fella was unregistered.....