Aussie fans: An intimate workshop with Richard Fortus Nov 20th 2014

So nobody's worked on stuff with Bumblefoot?

What about Axl using Slash "seeds"?

That could get interesting re copyright. Maybe this is where some of the reunion talk/camps in talks rumours have sprung from.

My guess too. I'm amazed that he still considers to release it one day. Bunch of 20 years old riffs and ideas.

I dont blame him for not using Bumbles ideas, they were pretty awful.

They don't sound like GNR, too cocky, but in the wrong direction. But he is an outstanding guitar player.

Edited by Silent Jay

That could get interesting re copyright. Maybe this is where some of the reunion talk/camps in talks rumours have sprung from.

My guess too. I'm amazed that he still considers to release it one day. Bunch of 20 years old riffs and ideas.

I dont blame him for not using Bumbles ideas, they were pretty awful.

They don't sound like GNR, too cocky, but in the wrong direction. But he is an outstanding guitar player.

I agree, hes an amazing player, definitley has the chops. But being a great song writer and a great guitarist are two seperate things. And with what he said were intended to be ideas for Guns songs i can see why they werent used. Edited by ChineseIRS

This can only be good news. Fortus and Dj seem very central to the next record, but Axl maybe be working on even more tracks than what was done around 2006 (30 songs). 2 or 3 albums seems like 30-40 songs in the mix. CD II is done it's just whether they add some more recent songs.

A Dj/Fortus/Axl song could potentially rock.

yeah because Slash

DJ probably steal some ideas from him

There's a Slash and Izzy song on CD II?

The reunion is on.

This can only be good news. Fortus and Dj seem very central to the next record, but Axl maybe be working on even more tracks than what was done around 2006 (30 songs). 2 or 3 albums seems like 30-40 songs in the mix. CD II is done it's just whether they add some more recent songs.

yeah because Slash

The reunion is on.

Chinese democracy III will be the ultimate fuck you to reunionists by Axl, a full album of slash and izzy riffs but no reunion or slash involvement :D

• Like 1

I would guess that any work Slash did for GnR in 1996 would belong to Geffen?

I would guess that any work Slash did for GnR in 1996 would belong to Geffen?

It almost certainly would.

I'm still waiting to hear just how intimate this 4tus thing was. I mean, was there cuddling after?

yeah because Slash

The reunion is on.

Chinese democracy III will be the ultimate fuck you to reunionists by Axl, a full album of slash and izzy riffs but no reunion or slash involvement :D

Slash, Izzy, Duff all guest on CD III with song writing credits and drop in for some live shows. If you think about it that's all they can do, they can't collab for a whole album or do full shows waiting for Axl in hockey arenas. But they can half ass it for the fans.

Ok drop me out of the helicopter I'm ready to storm to the village and burn it to ground.

yeah because Slash

The reunion is on.

Down by the ocean starts now

yeah because Slash

The reunion is on.

If Axl did that it would be the ultimate "fuck you" to everybody including Axl and all his worshippers who said he didn't need those guys any more.

In fact, if he did that and didn't get the original guys in he would look incredibly bitter as well as creatively bankrupt.

Slash would emerge looking like the man who was right about everything all along....

Edited by Intercourse

Fortus is a killer guy and player .. Just left dead daisies gig here in Perth after meeting him, he should be given more solos and bring that classic rock vibe to gnr.

He's a great guitarist, no doubt about that. The band should be Bumblefoot and Fortus only. I will never understand why Axl decided to hire Ashba. I mean, for what, exactly?

• Like 1

Fortus is a killer guy and player .. Just left dead daisies gig here in Perth after meeting him, he should be given more solos and bring that classic rock vibe to gnr.

He's a great guitarist, no doubt about that. The band should be Bumblefoot and Fortus only. I will never understand why Axl decided to hire Ashba. I mean, for what, exactly?

Remember he didn't even audition. Didn't they know eachother for a few years too? I guess he just assumed he was good and asked him to replace Finck. Not to mention he's another Indianna boy.

Transcript by Blabbermouth:

GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Richard Fortus took part in a workshop on November 20 in Sydney, Australia. You can watch video footage of the event in three parts below. A couple of excerpts follow (transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET).

On how much he contributed to the writing process for 2008's "Chinese Democracy":

Fortus: "On 'Chinese Democracy', I was adding to ideas that were already there. That entire record was written when I joined the band 13 yers ago. Except I wrote the chorus to 'Better'. A lot of the new stuff [that ended up on that album] that [we were] working on, some of that stuff [are ideas that came] from nothing and some of the stuff is stuff that [we had] been working on that were ideas that were already there. Some of the stuff Slash did that was the beginning of the seed of the song that's been around for a while."

On the progress of the songwriting sessions for the follow-up to "Chinese Democracy":

Fortus: "DJ [Ashba, GUNS N' ROSES guitarist] and I have worked on stuff… Nobody's worked on stuff with Ron ['Bumblefoot' Thal, GUNS N' ROSES guitarist].

"There's so much stuff that's recorded, there's so much stuff that was done. I mean, there's three albums' worth of material, easy…

"I know this week he's [GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose] recording a lot of stuff, vocally.

"That camp is very… I don't know why. It's just that they're very… Axl is very secretive. He doesn't want stuff getting out. He wants to create stuff and then release it when it's ready. Which I… I get it. He's also a bit of a perfectionist, as you can imagine.

"The way [Axl] generally works is that he doesn't wanna take an idea that DJ sent and… What he'll do is he'll take a little piece that I sent, he'll take a little piece that DJ sent on another track, and he's always done that. Back even with the 'Appetite [For Destruction]' stuff, he would take a little bit from this, a little bit from that, and then put it together. And when you listen to it, you can sort of hear it. When you listen to the tracks, you can hear that it's… Especially on 'Illusions' [the 'Use Your Illusion' albums], the opuses, [where] he took little bits from different people and put them together. He's got a real talent for that."

Ashba said in a recent chat with Legendary Rock Interviews that GUNS N' ROSES has both recording and touring plans in 2015. He revealed, "We are planning on doing quite a bit of touring this coming year. The focus is getting in a studio and putting together what we all feel is the best GUNS N' ROSES record. Lack of material is not an issue. We have tons of stuff."

Ashba added. "Axl has two full albums that he has recorded. He has played me a bunch of songs off of that that are incredible! I can't wait to get in and kind of dive into those as well. I've written tons of songs and demoed up a bunch of stuff. I think it is just a matter of getting in and sifting through the piles of material."

The last GUNS N' ROSES album, "Chinese Democracy", came out in 2008 and ended a 17-year gap between collections of all-new material.

Axl Rose, keyboardist Dizzy Reed and other members of the current lineup have hinted at material recorded during the "Chinese Democracy" sessions that has yet to surface.

Reed told The Pulse Of Radio that there is both older and newer material lurking around. "We've all been at it," he said. "We've all been, you know, handing files back and forth to one another in various combinations of different people, but also there is quite a bit of material that still needs to be finished and needs to be released. And so one or both of those things is gonna happen."

Rose is the only original member of GUNS N' ROSES still in the current lineup, which has toured intermittently since 2006 and played its second Las Vegas residency earlier this year.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richard-fortus-on-new-guns-n-roses-album-axl-rose-wants-to-create-stuff-and-release-it-when-its-ready/#5GFzp5PGbseGrAWR.99
Edited by Rdeyahlxp

WTF does this line mean?

"Fortus: "DJ [Ashba, GUNS N' ROSES guitarist] and I have worked on stuff… Nobody's worked on stuff with Ron ['Bumblefoot' Thal, GUNS N' ROSES guitarist]."

I find it hard to believe that's the case. Unless Ron's not wrote with the other guitarists, but he has to have wrote for Axl I'm sure.

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2014-12-05/guns-n-roses-slash-music-next-album

Video inside...

Richard Fortus says ex-axeman’s work is used as “seed of song”

Guns n’Roses guitarist Richard Fortus has suggested their next album could include music written by former axeman Slash – nearly 20 years after he left the band.

Speculation has been rife in recent months that Axl Rose is close to confirming the long-awaited follow-up release to 2008’s Chinese Democracy.

Speaking at a workshop event last month, Fortus said: “There’s so much stuff that’s recorded. There’s three albums worth of material, easy. Axl is very secretive – he doesn’t want stuff getting out. He wants to create stuff then release it when it’s ready. He’s also a bit of a perfectionist, as you can imagine.”

He added: “Some of the stuff comes from nothing and some of the stuff were ideas that were already there. Some of the stuff Slash did – it was the beginning of the seed of a song that’s been around for a while.”

Meanwhile, Rose has laughed off his most recent death hoax, after a scam website published a news report saying his body had been found at home. He tweeted a ghost-like picture from his studio and later asked: “If I’m dead do I still have to pay taxes?”

Slash is currently touring the UK in support of third solo album World On Fire.

What in the world is the purpose of created three albums worth of material if you aren't going to release that music for your millions of fans to enjoy?

In Axl time, three albums worth of material means a 25-year releasing time table. Nobody wants to see a 65 year old Axl on stage singing "welcome to the Jungle."

I think that Axl underrates himself as a song writer/song creater. He wants to release masterpieces..........and that's awesome. Because he has the ability to do that. BUT I don't think he realizes that fans love his songs that wouldn't be considered "epic masterpieces" that change rock music.

Is there ANYBODY here that would be mad or disappointed if every 3 years Axl released albums that were made up of songs like SCOM, PC, Nightrain, You Could Be Mine, You're Crazy, RocketQueen, Yesterdays, It's So Easy, Better??? Every song doesn't have to be Coma, Estranged, TWAT and November Rain.

Give your fans your Masterpiece album every 15 years. But in the meantime, continue to release kick ass songs like Nightrain and Rocketqueen every 3-4 years.

• Like 1

The good news about Axl recording vocals is he had to get his voice in shape to do it. Last time we know Axl was in studio recording vocals it was late 2005-2006...the years following he had some of his best vocals. I think this was a result of preparing his voice for the album and studio work.

So what we should see is a huge improvement in his vocals next time guns n roses is touring. I think that's exciting in itself.