Talks under way to make Reckless Road into a movie. Marc Canter confirms it will not be a documentary.

Marc, didn't you say Axl doesn't want to support anything to do with the old band and the history of the old band? Wasn't that part of why he backtracked on supporting your book, and one of

the biggest reasons you don't talk anymore? Because if that still holds true, I can't imagine him being supportive of this. I can't imagine him not being a huge legal thorn on your side. I thought you said he wants to keep focus exclusively on the current lineup. Unless....unless.....

Oh fuck me :lol:

As you all know Axl doesn't support anything to do with the old band except playing their songs live. However I do think he will be happy with the fact that it will clear up some stories that have been said about him from those days that were told incompletely. So setting the record straight on some of those evens will be a good thing for him to see happen. Axl should know by now that I have his back and that it will be done right. Even though there are a few things that some of the cast talking in the book got wrong, doesn't mean they will end up in the movie.

Some things when wrong with my publisher right before the book came out and I lost control of having the chance to edit some of that stuff out. I was not there when Spencer or Desi was interviewed and when I saw what was in the book that Spencer said, I asked for it to be removed because it was not true. I didn't even get to see what Desi had to say, we found her days before the book went to print and Jason my co author interview her by phone. Thats how fucked up things were at the time with my publisher having a breakdown because he spent the investors money on his own personal live style, he thought we would pre sale enough books to cover that money he spent and knew he was going to go down for it. The last 3 weeks before the book went to print were not good times for me. As you also know there are also over 100 typos in the book because of the fact that the book was not edited. I wanted to also add some more of my own thought to different parts of the book.

I did get Axl a draft copy of the book about a month before it went to print but never heard back from him. If there was something he wanted to add, it would have got added.

Edited by recklessroad

My draft of the book from 1994 didn't have any typos but after doing all the added interviews that were done in 2007, those were Transcribed and then put in the book as place holders to help design the text along with the photos. A lot if it did get edited but still went to press before it was done

The reason the book sat 12 years was because my agent was too greedy and wanted too much money from publishers and the band sort of fell apart so no one wanted to pay a lot of money to put out the book. I just wanted to get it out to the fans and didn't care about any advance.

The truth is the book would still probably be not out if I didn't bump into the people that helped me get it out

Edited by recklessroad

Marc - being that the book was delayed for over 10 years can you give some insight on why it was never edited? I don't know the history of the delays so please don't take this question as accusatory.

Sort of like the insert for CD!!!

Marc - best of luck with this project. I can't wait to watch it.

It would be really cool if Axl was willing to look things over to make sure "he" thought everything concerning him was portrayed accurately.

Obviously an endeavor like this will never please all parties. Wasn't it Duff that said that "everybody has their own version of the truth".....

And thank you for your book and for posting on this forum. Most of us appreciate it.

I hope they pick young unknown actors. Jared Leto is an amazing actor but he's over 40 and this is about Axl and the band in their 20's.

I hope they find someone who looks like Axl did back then. he was so cute with his reddish hair and green eyes. Anyway, this is one movie I would really love to see.

I hope neither Axl or any other band member tries to stop it from being made or released. I think it's time to see what actually happened back then. Maybe some people will stop blaming Axl for everything that went wrong with the band.

I hope they pick young unknown actors. Jared Leto is an amazing actor but he's over 40 and this is about Axl and the band in their 20's.

I hope they find someone who looks like Axl did back then. he was so cute with his reddish hair and green eyes. Anyway, this is one movie I would really love to see.

I hope neither Axl or any other band member tries to stop it from being made or released. I think it's time to see what actually happened back then. Maybe some people will stop blaming Axl for everything that went wrong with the band.

That brings up an interesting question, will this movie only cover the birth of the band documented in Reckless Road, or will it extend to the AFD/UYI eras? If it's about their origins I imagine it ends around the time AFD went to #1, and wouldn't cover when things "went wrong".

I think it will be terrible. I still cannot get the image of a b-move actor in a Slash wig out of my head. Where is the storyline? GN'R getting together is not much of a story: a bunch of seedy lowlifes form a band, make some decent rock music, get a record contract, and success - oh, their lead singer is as mad as a hatter. It is not much of a storyline, is it? I can only see b-movie actors touching this. Marc, make a documentary film. Use your archives and film some interviews to produce a classy documentary. Some of these documentaries are really, cinematic, these days. Duff is doing a film like this I believe. Do a Reckless Road version. It would be the ultimate tribute to Guns. Do not do a made-for-tv movie!!

Edited by DieselDaisy

I'm very excited to see the result. To be honest, my hope's still not that big that it will see the light of day due to legal rights and Axls veto, but if it does I've no doubt it will be worth the wait.

I can't really imagine what it will look like as a movie since the book it self is more of a documentary, but with the right people Marc will manage it to works ;)