Marshall AFD100 demo

For all you Appetite For Destruction tone fans, here's a quick demo of this amp I recorded today.

Didn't used any mic / cabinet (only a dummy load), instead I used Impulse Responses to simulate a cabinet.

Added reverb after recording.

• Like 1

I like it a lot, great tone.

It's trebly but that's what AFD and UYI tone is all about.

The only thing I really dislike is that you can't run away from this tone, it's a one (great) tone machine and that's all.

• Like 1

Yeah to be honest, I can't get into the AFD, the treble that you mentioned really does it for me; and I know that's a common complaint. Though to be fair, I've only heard YouTube videos and such, I'm sure in person I'd love the thing. I have the SL5, and I really like it, can easily plug it into a 4x12 as well.

• 7 months later...

I have the SL5, and I really like it, can easily plug it into a 4x12 as well.

Been thinking about getting the SL5 for a while now, have been using a shitty practise amp for too long and the SL5 looks like a real beauty, although most places have discontinued it and it's pretty hard to come across, especially at a reasonable price.

Would you say it's worth the money?

Edited by Towelie

Been thinking about getting the SL5 for a while now, have been using a shitty practise amp for too long and the SL5 looks like a real beauty, although most places have discontinued it and it's pretty hard to come across, especially at a reasonable price.

Depends, I actually sold mine to fund another purchase. It was a very good amp though. If you can find one in good condition for ~$500 that would be a good deal. Out of nowhere 2-3 months ago people started to think these things were worth $700+ due to the fact that it was a limited run.

You could find used a used DSL5C, DSL15C, or DSL40C for way less, and probably get just a good tone, though it wouldn't sound the same as an SL5.

As far as just little practice amps go, there's nothing I've played that I've liked better than my Roland MicroCube. Thought my Cube even sounded better than the Vox Night Train and the H&K Meister.

Depends, I actually sold mine to fund another purchase. It was a very good amp though. If you can find one in good condition for ~$500 that would be a good deal. Out of nowhere 2-3 months ago people started to think these things were worth $700+ due to the fact that it was a limited run.

You could find used a used DSL5C, DSL15C, or DSL40C for way less, and probably get just a good tone, though it wouldn't sound the same as an SL5.

As far as just little practice amps go, there's nothing I've played that I've liked better than my Roland MicroCube. Thought my Cube even sounded better than the Vox Night Train and the H&K Meister.

Thanks for the tips.

Ha, yes, the trusty old Roland Microcube. I bought one when I first started playing guitar ten years ago and it's the only amp I've ever used. I've never used another amp in my life (other than in guitar shops) and I really want to venture outside of my little practise amp. The SL-5 is not considered a practise amp though, or is it? I want one that could be used for recording as well as practise.

Thanks for the tips.

Ha, yes, the trusty old Roland Microcube. I bought one when I first started playing guitar ten years ago and it's the only amp I've ever used. I've never used another amp in my life (other than in guitar shops) and I really want to venture outside of my little practise amp. The SL-5 is not considered a practise amp though, or is it? I want one that could be used for recording as well as practise.

I got my first Cube in 2005, it was my first amp. I'd still have to this day is some jebroni didn't spill OJ/vodka all over it. But he bought me a replacement :lol:.

The SL5 is weird in terms of "what it is." It can get very loud, but it's not really loud enough to play with a band - unless you plug it into an external 2x12 or 4x12. But it's definitely not a quiet amp. I used it in my apartment mostly, but I really only stayed in 1 watt mode with the volume around 10 o' clock most of the time.

If you have a basement or even if you don't but you're in a house, you could definitely get away with turning it up more. But for an apartment, it's quite loud. Like I said, still manageable, but it has the odd quality of being both a loud and quiet amp at the same time, without really fitting well into a either category by itself.

Bottom line: if you can find a good deal, get it - apartment or house. If it's too loud, or you don't like, you will be able to flip it reasonably quickly for at least what you paid for.

• 3 weeks later...