What's "Hooray for tolerance"?

ManetsBR

I don't see what the big deal is personally. I mean, it's not illegal to say the word N!gger or F@ggot, so why the issue? It's such a tired old fuckin' bullshit discussion that I'll not patronise any of you good folk with that whole spiel of 'just saying the word N!gger doesn't make you racissss' cuz you're all of you more intelligent than to warrant that old bollocks.

So whats the issue? The 'N Word', give me a fuckin' break, it's N!gger, N!gger N!gger N!gger N!gger, who is it that's afraid and ashamed of this word, cuz it ain't fuckin' black people (or rather black Americans). It's such a ridiculous charade.

Almost as ridiculous as 'reclaiming' it for the black race, how can you reclaim something that weren't never yours to begin with? I'll never understand this odious tendency we have to like, take an aspect of life that doesn't sit well with us and then attempting some bullshit rationalisation of it based on intellectualism, you seriously think when black people started using that word towards each other they all had a massive roundtable conference and went 'right lads, these white folks have taken the piss long enough, lets bring this word back where it belongs!', there's no reason why black people call each other that just like there's no reason why my lot call each other paki lately, it's a way to belittle and denigrate which evolved itself based on variances in context...and thats ALL it is, people just like to make themselves seem more high fallutin and intellectual than they actually are, it's a bullshit rationalisation that serves no purpose whatsoever other than making human history seem a little more an act of intellectual design as opposed to a bunch of arseholes just following their nose like it really is.

AdriftatSea, on 15 Nov 2014 - 06:24 AM, said:snapback.png

I don't think of it as representing bad words. I think of it as stamping out bad words. Yes, what P5 said, it's a positive term.

There are no bad words, there is literally no such thing as a bad word. It's a way of communicating something and that's all it is. If N!gger is a bad word per se, in and of itself, meaning it's mere utterance is a crime then how the fuck did the first bastard who stood up and called it bad manage to do so without being a criminal of equal culpability as the rest of the folks using it? :lol:

I can see him now on the podium, doing the speech the first time!

Man: It's a bad word!

Crowd: Pray, what is?

Man: Uh, i can't tell ya!

Crowd: OK...can we go now please?

Do you see how ridiculous that is? And honestly, why is it OK then, if that word is bad, to say 'the N word'? It's a by-proxy way of communicating the same thing, the exact same thing. Thats like going, hey, y'know what, f@ggot is a bad word....OK, we'll replace it with scarymaryhairybeary which will from this day forth mean that word that begins with a F that we can't say :lol:

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 4

I don't see what the big deal is personally. I mean, it's not illegal to say the word N!gger or F@ggot, so why the issue? It's such a tired old fuckin' bullshit discussion that I'll not patronise any of you good folk with that whole spiel of 'just saying the word N!gger doesn't make you racissss' cuz you're all of you more intelligent than to warrant that old bollocks.

So whats the issue? The 'N Word', give me a fuckin' break, it's N!gger, N!gger N!gger N!gger N!gger, who is it that's afraid and ashamed of this word, cuz it ain't fuckin' black people (or rather black Americans). It's such a ridiculous charade.

Almost as ridiculous as 'reclaiming' it for the black race, how can you reclaim something that weren't never yours to begin with? I'll never understand this odious tendency we have to like, take an aspect of life that doesn't sit well with us and then attempting some bullshit rationalisation of it based on intellectualism, you seriously think when black people started using that word towards each other they all had a massive roundtable conference and went 'right lads, these white folks have taken the piss long enough, lets bring this word back where it belongs!', there's no reason why black people call each other that just like there's no reason why my lot call each other paki lately, it's a way to belittle and denigrate which evolved itself based on variances in context...and thats ALL it is, people just like to make themselves seem more high fallutin and intellectual than they actually are, it's a bullshit rationalisation that serves no purpose whatsoever other than making human history seem a little more an act of intellectual design as opposed to a bunch of arseholes just following their nose like it really is.

I don't think of it as representing bad words. I think of it as stamping out bad words. Yes, what P5 said, it's a positive term.

There are no bad words, there is literally no such thing as a bad word. It's a way of communicating something and that's all it is. If N!gger is a bad word per se, in and of itself, meaning it's mere utterance is a crime then how the fuck did the first bastard who stood up and called it bad manage to do so without being a criminal of equal culpability as the rest of the folks using it? :lol:

Do you see how ridiculous that is? And honestly, why is it OK then, if that word is bad, to say 'the N word'? It's a by-proxy way of communicating the same thing, the exact same thing. Thats like going, hey, y'know what, f@ggot is a bad word....OK, we'll replace it with scarymaryhairybeary which will from this day forth mean that word that begins with a F that we can't say :lol:

It hurts people's feelings. That's why you don't say it.

And no, it doesn't mean that word, it means just what I said, it means we've gotten rid of that word.

Edited by AdriftatSea

And no, it doesn't mean that word, it means just what I said, it means we've gotten rid of that word.

Yeah but all kinds of words hurt SOME peoples feelings, thats not reason enough to ban em. Use them with sensitivity then if thats the issue...but banning a word (not having a go at the forum here, or you or anything dearie, just discussing the principle here) is just plain ridiculous.

So then write it out of like, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, or Frederick Douglasses work or...any number of great works of literature that include it, do you understand the ridiculousness here, somebody might be writing an anti-racist tract but they can't use the word N!gger cuz the invisible Gods of propriety say so.

Language belongs to no one, no one has the right to ban words, no one. And you haven't gotten rid of it at all, and y'know what, i'll tell you this for free...you never will. Words are functional components of communication, words are how we affirm our existence, to ban words is to attempt to drown our collective souls.

it's not even striking a blow for anti-racism, in fact you're kinda absolving its sins by pretending that the words used under it or the actions under it didn't existt and trying to wipe them from the face of humanity.

Edited by Lennie Godber

Yeah but all kinds of words hurt SOME peoples feelings, thats not reason enough to ban em. Use them with sensitivity then if thats the issue...but banning a word (not having a go at the forum here, or you or anything dearie, just discussing the principle here) is just plain ridiculous.

So then write it out of like, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, or Frederick Douglasses work or...any number of great works of literature that include it, do you understand the ridiculousness here, somebody might be writing an anti-racist tract but they can't use the word N!gger cuz the invisible Gods of propriety say so.

Language belongs to no one, no one has the right to ban words, no one. And you haven't gotten rid of it at all, and y'know what, i'll tell you this for free...you never will. Words are functional components of communication, words are how we affirm our existence, to ban words is to attempt to drown our collective souls.

it's not even striking a blow for anti-racism, in fact you're kinda absolving its sins by pretending that the words used under it or the actions under it didn't existt and trying to wipe them from the face of humanity.

You're pontificating now! How's that for a word! :lol:

• Like 1

Language is the most precious thing we have, men and women have died for our right to say say and write and express what we want.

You're pontificating now! How's that for a word!

A word that pretty squarely encapsulates my entire posting history on this forum to date :lol: See now what if people wanted to ban that, based on it's blasphemous connotations towards the Pope? Actually I wouldn't be suprised if they did back in the day, there were stranger things you could get beheaded for back in the day :lol:

That was my sermon on the mount, did ya like it? It shall, from this day forth go down in history as The 'Call a Spade a Spade' speech. (see, now THATS racist :lol:)

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1

It's annoying. If it's something you want people to avoid using warn them when they use it and suspend them if they don't follow simple rules. Personally I don't see the big deal with either word, but if it offends others I don't really mind if they're not allowed. The word filter is annoying though. At least change it back to "black person" and "person" again.

You're wrong, Powerage, nobody likes the phrase, they are making fun of it.

I'd like to add though that I find the whole politically correct bullshit that goes on in America about what blacks are or aren't supposed to be called is ridiculous. Afro-Americans? Really? Do you call white Americans for Straight-Haired Americans? African Americans? Yeah, because you also call the white people for European Americans, right? They are either American or they aren't. I find the terms African American and Afro-American far more racist than just naming them after their skin colour.

Edit: God damn I wish I could like my own posts, because this is a great post.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

It's annoying. If it's something you want people to avoid using warn them when they use it and suspend them if they don't follow simple rules. Personally I don't see the big deal with either word, but if it offends others I don't really mind if they're not allowed. The word filter is annoying though. At least change it back to "black person" and "person" again.

I'd like to add though that I find the whole politically correct bullshit that goes on in America about what blacks are or aren't supposed to be called is ridiculous. Afro-Americans? Really? Do you call white Americans for Straight-Haired Americans? African Americans? Yeah, because you also call the white people for European Americans, right? They are either American or they aren't. I find the terms African American and Afro-American far more racist than just naming them after their skin colour.

You've never been in the states have you SS? :) The term Afro-American hasn't been used in 40 years, not since the '70's. :lol:

• Like 1

You've never been in the states have you SS? :) The term Afro-American hasn't been used in 40 years, not since the '70's. :lol:

Apart from by elderly Republicans who laughably think that using the term makes them sound progressive and inclusive.

• Like 1

Apart from by elderly Republicans who laughably think that using the term makes them sound progressive and inclusive.

LOL, where do you live tom? They don't do that anymore either! That's what the elderly Republicans did in the '70's. :lol: I love you guys! You're making my day!

• Like 1

Speaking of racism, I love the Uncle Toms in old Bette Davis films: ''Yes Mrs Marston, Y'all take your bags for you Mrs Marston. It sure is a fayne day Mrs Marston''. There was this hilarious moment when she turns to one and says, ''stop standing there with your big bulging eyes''. Another scene as one of these Uncle Toms, who had escaped capture, say, ''I blend into the night much better than yous white folks''. Classic old school racism.

• Like 1

A couple of people were complaining a lot (rightfully I guess) about the word filter. f*****t would change to "person" and n*****r would change to "black person".

I didn't want to deal with it at the time, but didn't want to completely ignore the issue either. So one day I just changed the filter to something dumb. It was meant to be a temporary measure until there was time to decide what to do... guess it just kind of stuck in the end. :tongue2:

• Like 4

A couple of people were complaining a lot (rightfully I guess) about the word filter. f*****t would change to "person" and n*****r would change to "black person".

I didn't want to deal with it at the time, but didn't want to completely ignore the issue either. So one day I just changed the filter to something dumb. It was meant to be a temporary measure until there was time to decide what to do... guess it just kind of stuck in the end. :tongue2:

I keep saying this but it's so weird you not being a mod. I'm almost afraid to talk to you, like a cold war thing y'know, anybody with a Nev or an Isky on the end of their name and it kinda makes you ill at ease :lol:

You still work for them, don't you? C'mon, you can tell me :lol: Seriously though man, it's tragic, like the time Superman fell in love with Lois but he had to give up his powers to be a human so he weren't Superman no more and instead just some gimpy looking four eyes with an Indian civil servants haircut :lol:

Can you just tell me what to do one last time, for old times sake? In that delicious authoritarian way? Could you end it with the word *locked* too? And then say 'RIVERSIDE MOTHERFUCKER!' :lol:

Oh how i miss my old Voltage :(

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1