Philae scientist shirt row

alfierose

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/11232986/Matt-Taylors-sexist-shirt-and-the-day-political-correctness-officially-went-mad.html

What does everyone think about this? Should he be above criticism?

I can't believe he didn't question the wisdom of his wardrobe choice, especially after the backlash Mary Beard got for not brushing her hair!

He clearly wasn't expecting the reaction he got.

IMO he can wear whatever he likes. What does it matter? I thought it was funny :shrugs:

Of course he can, within reason. I'm just surprised he didn't think twice before appearing on TV during a major interview. It's sort of in the same category as job interviews...unless you're in a band or maybe a tattooist.

IMO he can wear whatever he likes. What does it matter? I thought it was funny :shrugs:

Of course he can, within reason. I'm just surprised he didn't think twice before appearing on TV during a major interview. It's sort of in the same category as job interviews...unless you're in a band or maybe a tattooist.

Must admit I haven't followed this closely. I just read up on it. I agree with Facekicker. Are we so shallow to condemn the man for his clothes? I just don't see how that matters. He's a scientist, what does it matter what he wears? I wish he hadn't apologized for it though. Or that his sister and wife hadn't said that he's so often distracted and has no orientation at all. WTF? Just say he's a brilliant scientist with a passion for what he does.

• Like 3

Must admit I haven't followed this closely. I just read up on it. I agree with Facekicker. Are we so shallow to condemn the man for his clothes? I just don't see how that matters. He's a scientist, what does it matter what he wears? I wish he hadn't apologized for it though. Or that his sister and wife hadn't said that he's so often distracted and has no orientation at all. WTF? Just say he's a brilliant scientist with a passion for what he does.

His wife and sister probably make a good point. My Dad is a retired scientist and has worn some odd things in his time. He spent about 2 years wearing a too small Leeds United beanie hat, even indoors. Lol

The man just landed something on a comet - the pinnacle of his professional career: he probably didn't care what he was wearing. It was probably the least of his worries.

I totally agree, I just wonder if the media savvy people who run broadcasts and media should have seen this coming. This sort of thing happens a fair bit now on Twitter.

I feel quite sorry for him, public relations is probably a whole new universe to him compared to the science world.

The man just landed something on a comet - the pinnacle of his professional career: he probably didn't care what he was wearing. It was probably the least of his worries.

I totally agree, I just wonder if the media savvy people who run broadcasts and media should have seen this coming. This sort of thing happens a fair bit now on Twitter.

I try to avoid most of the absolute filth people spew on Twitter - just people trying to cause trouble, one way or another generally.

I can see your point - but public relations teams were probably more interested in getting the word out and explaining the situation, rather than what one eccentric scientist may or may not be wearing!

I try to avoid most of the absolute filth people spew on Twitter - just people trying to cause trouble, one way or another generally.

I can see your point - but public relations teams were probably more interested in getting the word out and explaining the situation, rather than what one eccentric scientist may or may not be wearing!

They probably were, just seems like a lot of people these days can find themselves in the public eye for whatever reason and be totally unprepared for it. Social media has changed a lot of things and not always for the better. I think it's worth taking a bit of time for PR advice, the importance of the event has been overshadowed a little and it's a shame.

They probably were, just seems like a lot of people these days can find themselves in the public eye for whatever reason and be totally unprepared for it. Social media has changed a lot of things and not always for the better. I think it's worth taking a bit of time for PR advice, the importance of the event has been overshadowed a little and it's a shame.

Again though, he's a scientist - he's probably done that his whole career, and it only becomes an issue because a few random people are suddenly sensitive to it :lol:

People are the problem: not the shirt.

• Like 1

No, Alfie, I think we shouldn't give in to stupidity. God forbid anyone wearing anything else than a grey suit!

No, Alfie, I think we shouldn't give in to stupidity. God forbid anyone wearing anything else than a grey suit!

I don't think he should have worn a suit but just maybe the whole situation could have been avoided. I don't like social media witch hunts but they seem to have become inevitable. It was misjudged choice that's caused him a load of grief, I'd just like to see people better advised before being thrust into the spotlight.

I don't think he should have worn a suit but just maybe the whole situation could have been avoided. I don't like social media witch hunts but they seem to have become inevitable. It was misjudged choice that's caused him a load of grief, I'd just like to see people better advised before being thrust into the spotlight.

Why is wearing something he feels comfortable in 'misjudged'?

I get what you mean, but we can't be giving in to social media witch hunts. Honestly, who are those people making a big deal out of this? I personally can't imagine anyone I know having a problem with him, much less call him a misogynist. I can imagine chuckling at his weird choice of clothes, but nothing worse than that.

Can we have some content please, or should we all just look at the packaging?

Why is wearing something he feels comfortable in 'misjudged'?

Just on the basis that it's created a distracting storm from the original subject. I think that's how he described it when speaking about it or words to that effect.

I get what you mean, but we can't be giving in to social media witch hunts. Honestly, who are those people making a big deal out of this? I personally can't imagine anyone I know having a problem with him, much less call him a misogynist. I can imagine chuckling at his weird choice of clothes, but nothing worse than that.

Can we have some content please, or should we all just look at the packaging?

Isn't that how most job interviews work though, we wear safe clothing so nobody can make judgements about us other than on our credentials. I'm not saying that's ideal, I don't really care how people dress but it's one of those societal rules that people go along with.

OK so, lemme get this straight, he's worn a shirt with some crumpet on it annnnnnd some people in Twitter got the hump so now he's crying? :lol: To me they're all cunts then quite frankly, and him on an even level, what the fuck you crying about for you big bastard, honestly, fuckin' stand up and take a good look at yourself in the mirror, you look like the Pacman that ate Kevin Smith, what you fuckin' crying about? :lol:

So what was wrong with the shirt, did they have their bristols out of what? :lol:

In a world where this is allowed I say let the man who LANDED A SPACESHIP ON A COMET wear whatever he wants. :shrugs:

Kim-Kardashian-Paris-Fashion-Week-Balmai

Yeah, you go stand over by Kevin Smith doppelgänger and I'll get in the queue behind Kimberley here :lol:

The sad truth about this is it will now haunt him for the rest of his career.

If he is in any position of authority over female workers this could be used against him.

Ditto for if he ever decides to go into academia to pass on his knowledge.

Just google his name and look what comes up - this bullshit and accusations that he is a misogynist.

• Like 1