Your opinion: Is Axl currently "looking very seriously at what we're doing in that regard"?

Very seriously  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wonder if in hindsight he wishes he had just started again under his own name. In theory it could have eliminated so many problems.

Obviously he would have had to give back the huge advance from the record company but I have two opinions about that:

a) he wasted thousands of it hiring equipment that sat unused for months

b) why does it have to be a super-slick, hyper-produced album drenched in bells and whistles and pro-tooled to fuck? I absolutely fucking love Chinese but I always choose to listen to live versions of all the songs where Axl totally outperforms his studio vocal.

On their last couple of albums, Maiden have gone back to recording everything as live as possible in the studio and their stuff sounds so much better for it. But i'll always still go for a superior live version. Why the fuck does recording an album in these modern times have to mean so much hassle and stress over production and shit. Like when Finck or whoever would go in and try out 30 different guitars that Axl had hired or Brain would try fifty drums to get one that sounded like that bit Roger Taylor played on one song etc?

I get that since Illusions Axl has wanted to have a high quality product in terms of sound and production values and not sounds like a garage band just bashing some shit out. And I appreciate him wanting to try out new sounds, technology and ideas etc. But there's got to be a line somewhere.

The best sounding records that were all made in the 60s and 70s were all recorded as live as possible with minimal overdubs and fuckery in usually a matter of a few months from start to finish. I'm not suggesting that people didn't care about their instruments; sound; producer; engineer etc because they obviously did but they got results whilst spending little money over little time on old analogue equipment without wanking over a fucking pro-tools setup and pasting a million different takes and fucking with all this shit.

I read an interview the other day with William Orbit where he said that all of today's producer's hate that they don't have the knowledge to re-produce the sounds of the records from the 60s and 70s because many of the producers and engineers of that era had cut their teeth back in the 30s, 40s and 50s recording orcehstras, big jazz bands and all sorts that required a depth of knowledge and understanding that you simply cannot learn from trying to record modern pop/rock bands with modern equipment.

Axl tried to teach himself to produce and engineer inbetween working with Moby, Baker, Caram and whoever the fuck.

And frankly, i'll take a live version of Better, TIL, Madagascar, Twat, Catcher, SoD etc over the studio versions any day.

Axl and the band wrote some fantastic songs. He wrote great lyrics and melodies; they wrote great solos, bass lines and drum parts. Why does the writing of the songs have to be a part of some ridiculously convoluted recording process? Why not write the songs, record them as live as possible, sprinkle your orchestras and harps over the top then go play the fuckers live?

Edited by Jordan Rose
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I don't think so because the other members of GNR are either out of the band or with another band and I think if there is a new album to be made it should include all the members of GNR.

Unless of course, this is material that Axl has had recorded in the past and is just getting it ready for release, but I doubt it. Very sad.

LOL

The reality for Guns N Roses is that music is the LAST thing this is about anymore. The fact they have to think and work so hard to even decide whether they are going to put out new music shows that music has NOTHING to do with it at all anymore.

The only person who is working on a new Guns N Roses album is DJ.

You know something is seriously wrong with GNR when the musical direction of the band is determined by a DJ. How things have changed :D

You know he's not a DJ, right? I agree that it's sad though.

You know something is seriously wrong with GNR when the musical direction of the band is determined by a DJ. How things have changed :D

Duh, no shit.

Duh, no shit.

Oh.. you were trying to be funny. Right.

Last time we saw Axl he wasn't dancing very well but good god his voice was much improved. Idk what he's doing during this layoff, but I really hope he got serious and started excercising these vocals daily.

Just a side note, did anyone else notice how he said "bored" in it's so easy. Sounded different but funny to me anyways.

• Like 1

Duh, no shit.

Okay, thanks for everything, captain obvious. See you next time!

Duh, no shit.

You're always welcome.

Duh, no shit.

You're always welcome.
Cool. I guess?

I really think we won't see any GNR touring in 2015, because I believe there is work in the studio, maybe for an album release in 2016 or 2017.

I understand if you think I'm being delusional but if I don't have hopes for new music, what's the point of being fan of band which is "stuck".

Personally, really liked Chinese Democracy, it represents the evolution of the band, I mean Axl's vision.. and i'm really loking forward seeing some of that sometime, who knows.

Edited by valengf

I really think we won't see any GNR touring in 2015, because I believe there is work in the studio, maybe for an album release in 2016 or 2017.

I understand if you think I'm being delusional but if I don't have hopes for new music, what's the point of being fan of band which is "stuck".

Personally, really liked Chinese Democracy, it represents the evolution of the band, I mean Axl's vision.. and i'm really loking forward seeing some of that sometime, who knows.

I don't think Axl has a band at the moment. He couldn't call on them to tour this year because they are all off doing their own stuff. Bumble is gone.

I'm not saying Axl can't record by himself, but he has an excuse now to do nothing. All the times we thought he was preparing the next album he was doing nothing. I'm just not sure that anything has changed. It's hard to start a new project, but it's harder to pick up an old one.

But according to Axl the album is finished. I guess we are just waiting on the right time for a release...

I would be willing to bet the farm that nothing needs to be done in the studio, and that if there was work done (that wasn't recording actual, new songs with this current band) it would be tinkering like pasting DJ over the top of Robin or Paul.