Bird-watching is racist now

Amir

After accidentally posting this in the Philae scientist thread, thought it deserved a thread of its own.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/09/140923-bird-watching-diversity-environment-science/

"In the past three years, a group of birders has pulled together to try to bring more minorities into their community, staging a series of conferences called Focus on Diversity: Changing the Face of American Birding.

The meetings have covered a range of reasons why minorities may find it hard to embrace birding, including concerns about how onlookers might react to seeing a black or Hispanic man with binoculars wandering the woods—or a suburban neighborhood—at dusk, dawn, or night. ("Nocturnal birding is a no-no" is Lanham's Rule 4.)"

Or maybe because it's so terribly boring? :lol:

"Amir, our token ethnic friend, would you care to sit in a field on a rainy day with a pair of binoculars for a few hours?"

"Sorry chaps, just remembered I'm plucking my pubes out with rusty tweezers that afternoon!"

It's not just birdwatching. Different geographies and cultures offer differing leisure activities which are popularly participated in. I didn't realise this until I started working for a cycling magazine.

In the last three years, I've seen probably around 1m photos of cyclists from around the world. The quantity of times I've seen a non-white cyclist: one. I've brought this up at work, and was told that if they knew anyone of non-white skin who would participate in a feature, they'd jump at the chance.

The thing is, this also means that us whiteys are missing out on some serious funtimes that we don't know about. Amir, Len, Sunny, what are the pastimes of your people?! :P

It's not just birdwatching. Different geographies and cultures offer differing leisure activities which are popularly participated in. I didn't realise this until I started working for a cycling magazine.

In the last three years, I've seen probably around 1m photos of cyclists from around the world. The quantity of times I've seen a non-white cyclist: one. I've brought this up at work, and was told that if they knew anyone of non-white skin who would participate in a feature, they'd jump at the chance.

The thing is, this also means that us whiteys are missing out on some serious funtimes that we don't know about. Amir, Len, Sunny, what are the pastimes of your people?! :P

Gracii, I don't think that plotting the downfall of western civilisation and prison rape are really suitable topics of discussion for a cycling magazine. :lol:
  • Like 4

My mates joke that while on appearances I'm the Token Brown Friend, at heart I'm whiter than any of them. I was shocked to see another young brown man at the Neil Young gig in Hyde Park this summer (though I didn't go quite as far as wearing double denim and a bandana...), and I'm not sure I saw any non-white people apart from me at the ELO concert :lol:

I do have my limits, though. No Phish or Morris dancing for me :P

Gracii, I don't think that plotting the downfall of western civilisation and prison rape are really suitable topics of discussion for a cycling magazine. :lol:

That is an extremely narrow-minded view of brown people's interests, Dazey.

You forgot grooming of white teenage girls :lol:

That is an extremely narrow-minded view of brown people's interests, Dazey.

You forgot grooming of white teenage girls :lol:

I'm from Middlesbrough buddy. White teenage girls don't get groomed a lot but their grandkids get plenty of action. :lol:
  • Like 1

This reminds me of a tv show we had here a few years ago. It was called Allez Allez Zimbabwe and it involved five or six African cyclists being trained in Belgium by former Belgian champions. It didn't work out so well, as they couldn't handle the heavy training schedules and were much too slow to make it. I never heard of any of them afterwards. They did impregnate and marry young Belgian girls to be able to stay in Belgium afterwards though.

• Like 1

This reminds me of a tv show we had here a few years ago. It was called Allez Allez Zimbabwe and it involved five or six African cyclists being trained in Belgium by former Belgian champions. It didn't work out so well, as they couldn't handle the heavy training schedules and were much too slow to make it. I never heard of any of them afterwards. They did impregnate and marry young Belgian girls to be able to stay in Belgium afterwards though.

When I was working on a summer camp in the US about 15 years ago there was a Romanian girl working in the kitchens. A few of the councillors used to joke that she was only there to marry an American so she could stay in the country. Apparently they were right. She got engaged to the camp director's nephew after being there for about 6 weeks. :lol:
  • Like 1

Shagging. Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1