Albums where your favourite artists or bands turned to complete shit.

Towelie

Anyone who says the Black album by Metallica sucks has poor taste in music.

Load and Reload? ......Well, yeah I agree.

I think that most people say the Black album is crap because it seemed like an attempt to change their sound to be more radio friendly,a kind of sell out. But I always liked it.

Encore is probably the best example. The staggering drop in quality from TES to Encore is unheard of. MMLP2 was ok, but nothing he's done since has really been in the same league as anything he did before it, bar a song or two.

I don't think there's a difference in quality in terms of his rhymes...in fact they got better. I don't think there was a lacking in the production. I think he was just rich and bored and totally out of subject matter, I mean when you make a song like Big Weenie you gotta be a bit fuckin' like...jaded. It says something in and of itself that nothing knocked Eminem off, he just appeared to get bored with it.

Most albums from Wu-Tang members after their first set of solo albums.

Supreme Clientele, Immobilarity, N!gga Please, Tical 2000: Judgement Day would like a word with you.

How does anyone put the Black album by Metallica here? Seriously how? Wherever I May Roam, Unforgiven, Enter Sandman, Through the Never, Of Wolf and Man, The Struggle Within etc........ I mean to me, anyone who says the black album is shit just sounds like they are trying way too hard to be cool. "Oh Metallica broke massive and went mainstream, they must be shit." Gimme a break. The black album kicks all sorts of ass and everyone knows it, even if they pretend to think otherwise

• Like 4

How does anyone put the Black album by Metallica here? Seriously how? Wherever I May Roam, Unforgiven, Enter Sandman, Through the Never, Of Wolf and Man, The Struggle Within etc........ I mean to me, anyone who says the black album is shit just sounds like they are trying way too hard to be cool. "Oh Metallica broke massive and went mainstream, they must be shit." Gimme a break. The black album kicks all sorts of ass and everyone knows it, even if they pretend to think otherwise

But there were a lot of cool moments throughout the album. I don't like it as an album, but can't deny some quality stuff it includes like Kirk's Unforgiven solo for example. Nailed it and the way he came up with it is really cool. Mostly improvised.

Edited by Rovim

I loved Load and Reload. Great tracks on there.. fucking classic stuff. But very very far from the Metallica of the 80's.

No problems with the Black album or Load. It is St Anger I loath.

What about Lulu?

Edited by Russel Nash

I loved Load and Reload. Great tracks on there.. fucking classic stuff. But very very far from the Metallica of the 80's.

What about Lulu?

Absolutely 'orrible.

Death Magnetic I like incidentally, accepting that it has some production issues.

What about Lulu?

Absolutely 'orrible.

Death Magnetic I like incidentally, accepting that it has some production issues.

I agree on that. I fucking hate Rick Rubin's loud mixing. Fucking ruining everything.

If Load had been one album with the best of both Load and Reload, it would be my favourite Metallica album (tied with Puppets, at least).

Put Fixxxer, Where The Wild Things Are, Devil's Dance, and maybe Low Man's Lyric on Load, and take out Poor Twisted Me, Ronnie, The Thorn Within, and either Cure or Wasting My Hate (or both). And yeah, Mama Said should be on there, so fuck off :P

there were a lot of cool moments throughout the album. I don't like it as an album, but can't deny some quality stuff it includes like Kirk's Unforgiven solo for example. Nailed it and the way he came up with it is really cool. Mostly improvised.

That documentary was so good. It's like the original Some Kind Of Monster, but about a great album. Reminds me of Pink Floyd's Pompeii movie in the sense that they had cameras rolling in the studio as they were about to break through with that album they were building. It's like they knew.

But there were a lot of cool moments throughout the album. I don't like it as an album, but can't deny some quality stuff it includes like Kirk's Unforgiven solo for example. Nailed it and the way he came up with it is really cool. Mostly improvised.

the unforgiven is one of the best metallica songs written.

i have listened to enough albums and enough metallica, i dont "pretend" anything, i think the album is just meh

Edited by bran

Metallica has some good songs but you can't deny it's a change in sound from their earlier albums. Some people don't like the change, that's why they list it. Stop pretending your opinion is the fucking be all end all.

• Like 1

They slowed down their songs from Bay Area thrash to more, mid-tempo Heavy Metal, while streamlining their arrangements; there were also two ballads in there, 'Nothing Else Matters' and 'The Unforgiven'. There is no doubt that the Black Album had the potential for mass appeal which their prior discography did not. Whether they deliberately 'sold out' is debatable. They could have inadvertently wished to simply pursue this direction, however, it is interesting that they started to put out loads of singles (five), with accompanying music promos, at this time. Formally, they had confided themselves to just one promo ('One') and around one-two single releases per LP.

I think the question is, would another thrash album in the RTL-AJFA style have been better than the stylistically different, Black Album? Another thrash album released 1991 may have been tired, or self-parody.

They slowed down their songs from Bay Area thrash to more, mid-tempo Heavy Metal, while streamlining their arrangements; there were also two ballads in there, 'Nothing Else Matters' and 'The Unforgiven'. There is no doubt that the Black Album had the potential for mass appeal which their prior discography did not. Whether they deliberately 'sold out' is debatable. They could have inadvertently wished to simply pursue this direction, however, it is interesting that they started to put out loads of singles (five), with accompanying music promos, at this time. Formally, they had confided themselves to just one promo ('One') and around one-two single releases per LP.

I think the question is, would another thrash album in the RTL-AJFA style have been better than the stylistically different, Black Album? Another thrash album released 1991 may have been tired, or self-parody.

The problem is not with trash. Not with the main genre they chose to express themselves. Whatever music you're making as a musician now is cool as long as it reflects you and it's honest. They took it pretty far with AJFA, it was progressive trash, and it was great imo.

The Black album was still metal. Called Metallica not Trashtallica, even though I feel they don't sound as much as themselves when they don't do trash. After 4 great trash albums it makes sense.

But The Black album wasn't as good as those 4 previous albums. Still pretty good and later on they tried blusier stuff so at least they didn't just stood still artistically speaking.

St. Anger was kinda nu metal/trash and Death Magnetic was the first time they gave up for me. It went backwards and they tried to work with a familiar formula and kinda make a hybrid of what worked before, not really pushing themselves forward.

Edited by Rovim