Guns N’ Roses vs. Bon Jovi – Ultimate Classic Rock Hall of Fame Semifinals

The poll is in ultimateclassicrock, not that Poison and Ratt are anything close, but Nirvana and Soundgarden were part of the first generation of bands that weren't really timeless. It's because of them and the movement they inspired, that rock fell off the top charts.

What's your definition of timeless music? Cause all I know is Nirvana and especially Soundgarden still kick ass.

Not them, Hendrix, The Who, The Doors, old man rock. That'll be with us long after we're dead. I have serious doubts Nirvana or Soundgarden will be.

• Like 2

Gnr wins as Bon jovi isn't rock music one bit

well bon jovi used to be kind of rock music

GNR earned everything they got. They made themselves. Bon Jovi bought their success from Desmond Child.

can you explain that a little what do you exactly mean with bought their success?

They "co-wrote" their biggest hits with Desmond Child, a professional songwriter whose purpose was to write songs tailored towards commercial success. I'm sure they had to pay him.

GNR earned everything they got. They made themselves. Bon Jovi bought their success from Desmond Child.

can you explain that a little what do you exactly mean with bought their success?

They "co-wrote" their biggest hits with Desmond Child, a professional songwriter whose purpose was to write songs tailored towards commercial success. I'm sure they had to pay him.

aah so pretty much like every populair bullshit so called musician of nowadays pop thats kinda laughable

There shouldn't even BE a vote. Why? Bon fuckin' Jovi used (look it up people, it's all on wikipedia via song writing credits) professional song writers to write most of their big fluffy 80's radio anthems and thus, were nothing more than a rock and roll version of One Direction.

If you have to use professional song writers to write hits for you, you are a fucking fraud....PERIOD. No discussion, no debate.

Edited by combos

LOL Ratt beat Nirvana in a suck-off and Poison somehow beat Soundgarden. This poll is a joke.

Not surprised, Ratt and Poison are awesome rock3 nirvana had one good album, smells like teen spirit. I can't even name a song from Soundgarden that isn't black hole sun, and even that has nothing on something as awesome as Nuthin But A Good Time or Talk Dirty To Me :headbang:
  • Like 1

LOL Ratt beat Nirvana in a suck-off and Poison somehow beat Soundgarden. This poll is a joke.

Not surprised, Ratt and Poison are awesome rock3 nirvana had one good album, smells like teen spirit. I can't even name a song from Soundgarden that isn't black hole sun, and even that has nothing on something as awesome as Nuthin But A Good Time or Talk Dirty To Me :headbang:
Are you bitching at me over a bunch of homo bands?

I hugely disliked Bon Jovi & Sambora when I heard how they treated Skid Row.

Do you dislike all bands because of the way they treated their openers more than 25 years ago? Do you care how much money JBJ has raised/donated to charity?

I really base my like/dislike of bands based on the music they release and not because of what kind of people they are in real life. These guys aren't my friends. They don't care about you and I. They put out music. If I like it, I pay for their CD, merchandise and pay to go to their shows. They want my money - I want their music. That's our relationship. Axl Rose and Buddy Holly are my favorite singers of all time. I don't care if they are pricks in real life or the nicest guys in the word.

Its the fact that Bon Jovi & Sambora owned Skid Row's publishing rights, which were worth quite a lot of money after their debut album went five times platinum. Sambora gave his share of the rights back to Skid Row but the steel horse riding Bon Jovi never did.

Wow.

So because of a business deal that was made 25 years ago, one that Skid Row readily agreed to......one where Sebastian bach himself says he has "forgiven" JBJ.........you hate a singer because of that?

So the bands that Bon Jovi made the same deal with that ended up failing as bands......do you hate John for those deals as well?

Too funny. You hate JBJ because the guys in Skid Row made a business deal that cost them money.

The things that get posted on this forum never cease to amaze me.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused why you keep harping on this.

So John has a co-writer that he has had tons of success with........this bothers you a lot.

I think we can all agree that Axl's best work was done with the help of Izzy and with Slash/Duff/Izzy?

I'll agree with you that I think Axl Rose is a better song writer than Jon Bon Jovi.

And I'd much rather listen to GnR than Bon Jovi.

So I'm not exactly sure what your complaint is.

We aren't talking "personal favorite" in a poll that asks what band is better.

I like November Rain better than any Bon Jovi ballad. I could give a f*ck if Adler wrote November Rain or if Beta wrote it. I like the song that Guns n Roses delivered to me.

Whether you like it or not, or whether or not Justin Bieber wrote the songs..........GnR was a bigger band from 88-92. But from 84-87 and 93-2014, Bon Jovi has been the more successful band. BJ was the top touring band of 2013. Us liking GnR better doesn't hide the fact that Bon Jovi has been way more successful and popular over the last 20 years than GnR has been.

Demond Child is a song writing beast. I just looked up who he has written songs with:

Aerosmith

Kiss

Scorpions

Alice Cooper

Chicago

Joan Jett

Carry Underwood

Dream Theatre

Meat Loaf

Katy Perry

Weezer

Garth Brooks

Hall and Oates

Billy Squier

Joss Stone

Kelly Clarkson

I guess we should downgrade all those band's "success" levels as well?

So John has a co-writer that he has had tons of success with........this bothers you a lot.

I think we can all agree that Axl's best work was done with the help of Izzy and with Slash/Duff/Izzy?

I'll agree with you that I think Axl Rose is a better song writer than Jon Bon Jovi.

I like November Rain better than any Bon Jovi ballad. I could give a f*ck if Adler wrote November Rain or if Beta wrote it. I like the song that Guns n Roses delivered to me.

Whether you like it or not, or whether or not Justin Bieber wrote the songs..........GnR was a bigger band from 88-92. But from 84-87 and 93-2014, Bon Jovi has been the more successful band. BJ was the top touring band of 2013. Us liking GnR better doesn't hide the fact that Bon Jovi has been way more successful and popular over the last 20 years than GnR has been.

Demond Child is a song writing beast. I just looked up who he has written songs with:

Aerosmith

Kiss

Scorpions

Alice Cooper

Chicago

Joan Jett

Carry Underwood

Dream Theatre

Meat Loaf

Katy Perry

Weezer

Garth Brooks

Hall and Oates

Billy Squier

Joss Stone

Kelly Clarkson

Yes.

Aerosmith

Kiss

Scorpions

Alice Cooper

Chicago

Joan Jett

Carry Underwood

Dream Theatre

Meat Loaf

Katy Perry

Weezer

Garth Brooks

Hall and Oates

Billy Squier

Joss Stone

Kelly Clarkson

Aerosmith, Kiss & Alice Cooper already made their own success in the 70s. They bought songs from Child in the late 80s to regain commercial relevance.

You don't see a significant difference between two guys just writing music for the love of it like Axl & Izzy, and a band having a guy come in and write songs for them/alter their songs for radio play/commercial success? There's a difference between being an artist and just a performer.

• Like 1

LOL

at all you nerds who come in swinging saying Bon Jovi sucks and we can't lose to Bon Jovi and Bon Jovi isn't real rock and blah blah blah I'ma badass rock music fan and macho as macho gets. Shut up! Every single one of you has rocked out to and enjoyed songs like Livin on Prayer, Bad Medicine, Blaze of Glory, Wanted Dead or Alive, Believe, and you've all had a soft spot for songs like I'll Be There For You and Always and etc etc etc. You are NOT more of a man by pretending to hate Bon Jovi.

Having said that I am surprised Bon Jovi is winning.

Edited by Bono

Smooth,

For me it's about the music produced.

If Axl came out and said he wrote Estranged while high as a joke song and that he only did it because he needed money for more drugs and for a new sailboat, and that the song had no emotional meaning to him at all.........that would change my love for the song at all.

All these polls and arguments just turn into people arguing about which band they personally like better.

How do you judge which band is "better".........if you can't use albums sold, albums released, chart rankings, tour attendance numbers, length of career relevancy....only a select few of us are able to look at these situations/polls honestly. The majority just fight for the band they "like" the best.

Aerosmith

Kiss

Scorpions

Alice Cooper

Chicago

Joan Jett

Carry Underwood

Dream Theatre

Meat Loaf

Katy Perry

Weezer

Garth Brooks

Hall and Oates

Billy Squier

Joss Stone

Kelly Clarkson

Aerosmith, Kiss & Alice Cooper already made their own success in the 70s. They bought songs from Child in the late 80s to regain commercial relevance.

You don't see a significant difference between two guys just writing music for the love of it like Axl & Izzy, and a band having a guy come in and write songs for them/alter their songs for radio play/commercial success? There's a difference between being an artist and just a performer.

How do you know that Axl and Izzy wrote out of "love" and not because they wanted to be rich and successful?

Didn't Axl say that he wanted to release an album that blew Appetite out of the water?

I get where you are coming from.

And for the third or fourth time - I think Axl is a better song writer than JBJ.

But in terms of the success of a band..........I'll just go with the cold hard facts instead of my own personal love of Guns n Roses.

And I'll give JBJ props for being smart enough to team up with a song writer that helped his band release dozens of songs that millions of fans loved.

Because at the end of the day - that's what I want from my favorite bands. Albums full of music. A band that releases music for THAT BAND's fans to enjoy.

The poll is in ultimateclassicrock, not that Poison and Ratt are anything close, but Nirvana and Soundgarden were part of the first generation of bands that weren't really timeless. It's because of them and the movement they inspired, that rock fell off the top charts.

What's your definition of timeless music? Cause all I know is Nirvana and especially Soundgarden still kick ass.

Nirvana and Soundgarden as good as they were don't transcend time. their music sounds painfully 90s. Even Posion as an 80s hair metal band has music that doesn't sound that dated specifically. Yes it sounds old and from the 80s but their music is more timeless in my opinion. It's kinda hard to explain I guess and it's not saying those bands are better than Nirvana and Soundgraden(although I enjoy posion more than both of those bands).

That right there says everything we need to know about you. You think the type of music you listen to makes or breaks you as man and reflects your sexuality. The fact is thinking that way makes you douchebag and someone who is completely insecure with their own sexuality. I see you spew this shit all the time. Homo bands this, hooray for tolerance! music that, gay pussy band whatnot. Honestly dude STFU

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

Nirvana and Soundgarden as good as they were don't transcend time. their music sounds painfully 90s. Even Posion as an 80s hair metal band has music that doesn't sound that dated specifically. Yes it sounds old and from the 80s but their music is more timeless in my opinion. It's kinda hard to explain I guess and it's not saying those bands are better than Nirvana and Soundgraden(although I enjoy posion more than both of those bands).

That right there says everything we need to know about you. You think the type of music you listen to makes or breaks you as man and reflects your sexuality. The fact is thinking that way makes you douchebag and someone who is completely insecure with their own sexuality. I see you spew this shit all the time. Homo bands this, hooray for tolerance! music that, gay pussy band whatnot. Honestly dude STFU

Quit crying to me because I really don't give a shit. Your bleeding heart means absolutely nothing. Deal with it.

Groghan- arguing about which band you like better is the point of these stupid polls to begin with. They definitely aren't meant for any deep meaningful discussion. Of course idiots like bono will freely run around insulting whatever and whoever they want then get disgustingly butthurt whenever someone insults one of their idols, but thankfully morons like that are few and far between.