Any chefs in the house?

Chris1989

I've just started getting into making more food from scratch, I used to do bits but it's time consuming and I fell into eating easy cook simple foods.

Lovely Tikka last week, chucked in a bit of extra chilli powder and flakes (I know, tikka isn't meant to be hot)

Been making marble cake, pizza as well.

Anybody else cooking some fancy creations?

Edited by Chris1989
  • Like 1

Running the risk of turning this into merely another 'what are you eating?' thread, but here is a fairly typical meal for me, cooking for three people,

- Tomato Egg Flower Soup

- Chinese chicken with Cashew Nuts, and, rice

- Sichuan Veg (side dish)

All Ken Hom who is my hero.

You're getting off lightly. A man who knows how to cook in Newcastle can get called far worse than a 'kin hom. :lol:

I love to cook when I have the time which is rare these days. I have a lot of recipes (I use the term loosely) handed down to me by my Italian Grandmother and Aunt who were both amazing cooks of the most delicious traditional Italian food. But they never measured anything, so I learned by just watching them over the years. I also have a small collection of books and clippings of things I've tried and have actually come out surprisingly well.

I've learned though that I just can't do desserts. I've tried many times to make brownies and different cakes from scratch and they just don't ever come out right for some reason.

• Like 1

I made cookies this year, cut them out, when I returned later I found I had 1 big cookie shaped like the baking sheet sort of burnt on the edge and soft in the middle.

I still ate it though.

I make my own pattys.

I buy mince, from the butcher when they mince it is good (almost bought a mincer, cba in the end) - meat, 1 egg and shape.

My father is old school.

He bakes his own bread, everyday (rolls, loafs, baguettes). - He himself had a phase of making his own pasta I recall too - For his home made Spaghetti Bolognese.

I love his Bolognese, so much so, that I asked him to teach me it once; So I know my father's recipe, am pleased to say - I can do it. :)

Edited by Snake-Pit

I cook Chinese and Japanese food, probably at least three times a week. Tried my hand at other things also, Paella, Italian food.

I have made paella a number of times and I find it the toughest dish I have tried, to get it really good. And I just can't serve it if it isn't really good. Made a batch a couple of weeks ago for a soccer party. Let's just say the guys enjoyed the pizza I ended up serving.

But when I nail it, it is the best paella I have ever had.

I cook Chinese and Japanese food, probably at least three times a week. Tried my hand at other things also, Paella, Italian food.

I have made paella a number of times and I find it the toughest dish I have tried, to get it really good. And I just can't serve it if it isn't really good. Made a batch a couple of weeks ago for a soccer party. Let's just say the guys enjoyed the pizza I ended up serving.

But when I nail it, it is the best paella I have ever had.

It is hard, isn't it? I have had one or two paella disasters. And they make it look so easy when they cook it in Spain in those massive rectangular pans, just throwing everything in. The thing with a paella is it is meant to be relatively dry. If there is too much stock remaining, you basically have a risotto, not a paella. I find it hard getting the balance between stock, and the required cooking time. I also once burnt a paella and the whole thing, all this expensive seafood, tasted of burn.

I can cook the best chili con carne, and the best chicken curry (I do a sweet potato version for veggies which is even nicer than the chicken one).

Have put the Jamie's Comfort Food recipe book on my Christmas list, and over just started my own food magazine, so I might be trying a few recipes from that soon. :)

Running the risk of turning this into merely another 'what are you eating?' thread, but here is a fairly typical meal for me, cooking for three people,

- Tomato Egg Flower Soup

Did you watch Exploring China: A Culinary Adventure? One of my favourite cooking series ever.

- Tomato Egg Flower Soup

Did you watch Exploring China: A Culinary Adventure? One of my favourite cooking series ever.

Yes. BBC Iplayer actually still have that up (presumably BBC4 or somebody is repeating it). Ching He is quite hot.

I like to cook and youtube/masterchef is a blessing as I need to see how it's done. Pizza is my favorite! Tomorrow I will attempt to make a savoy/brussels sprouts/potato stew which goes well with sausage (the vegetarian kind for me) and some mustard to give it some sharpness.

Edited by Bumblefeet

- Tomato Egg Flower Soup

Yes. BBC Iplayer actually still have that up (presumably BBC4 or somebody is repeating it). Ching He is quite hot.

That was my next point. :lol:

I don't cook much because I live with my parents and more often than not dinner time is fairly insufferable with them (i.e. I eat fast food or pour myself a bowl of cereal and get the fuck out of the kitchen).

In college though I had the luxury of making myself a proper meal. I had a thing called 'Wine Wednesdays' where more often than not I'd cook up some chicken alfredo and drink a bottle of wine, chop up a good salad in the process etc. I had a breakfast for dinner phase too where I'd make eggs, hash browns, bacon, toast and a bloody mary.

Fish tacos, Chinese stir fry, yeah I like to cook but it's expensive for one after awhile unless you're just eating the same meal every night.