Obama - 5 years in- your thoughts?

Dr. Who

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I will be highly surprised if Clinton wins in 2016.

i feel the same, i just dont see how she is electable. she is not nearly as popular as her husband, democrats have taken a pounding in 8 years, and usually the american people will vote for the other guys just as a change of pace. the big key will also be the black turn out, can she get near the turnout of obama? women and independents will be interesting as well, in the midterms both swung republican.

i just dont see the Inevitable clinton win a lot of people predict. no one knew who obama was going into the democrat primaries but he created so much momentum and it carried him to the presidency. the republicans have to get their shit together before 2016 in terms of lining up an electable candidate that will fire up the millions of registered voters that didnt show up in the last election.

No what is needed is a viable third party candidate.

Has there even been a third party that's been able to get a respectable number of votes since Bull Moose?

Ross Perot says hi.

the_return_of_ross_perot_syndrome-460x30

;)

I've gotten as many electoral votes for president as this man has.

Hey, he got almost 19% of the popular vote, which was unprecedented for a 3rd party candidate at the time. Clinton won thanks to him taking conservative votes away from Bush.

I do think that history will be kinder to his administration than how he is perceived today. Considering he presided the U.S.'s recovery from the financial crisis of 2008, bailed out the auto-sector that saved hundreds of thousands of jobs, got U.S. out of Iraq (and soon Afghanistan), pulled the trigger (figuratively) on bin Laden, passed comprehensive healthcare and banking reform, somehow achieved a higher tax rate for upper earners despite facing a very conservative opposition, and now has got the ball rolling with immigration - I do think those facets will be eventually celebrated.

Granted, many will argue the opposite, that his healthcare plan and decision to remove U.S. forces out of Iraq and Afghanistan were a mistake. But I still hold the position that history will vindicate him in much the same way that history vindicated the presidencies of Lincoln, TR and FDR.

And in a direct comparison with Ronald Reagan in relating to their economic records as President, even Forbes magazine conceded that in many metrics Obama has done better:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/09/06/its-official-president-obama-is-the-best-economic-president-in-modern-times/

It's tough to give a President too much credit (or blame) since a lot of things are out of his control. Had former Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke turned off the QE taps when Republicans wanted him to (i.e. when a black guy was in the white house) the economy would be far worse off. It's also tough to give a President much credit when few Americans have seen a rise in their incomes in the past five years. Highs in the stock market and low inflation is great for the top one percent, but tepid wage growth has rendered economic improvements meaningless to most Americans.

The guy still has two more years and I think we'll see him govern more assertively now that he doesn't have to worry about his own election and the election of congressmen and senators who he relies on for legislative support. We'll likely see more actions like the one he committed to immigration reform in the next two years. Efforts to compromise with his opposition (who never wanted to compromise in the first place) are over. Will be fun to watch.

• Like 1

However, he...also repealed Glass-Steagall.

Fortunately for Hillary, the blame for the recession was placed on Barney Frank instead of where it mostly belongs with the repeal you mention.

If Republicans want to guarantee a win in 2016, take charge on an immigration bill to overwrite the EO, get more states to run their own exchanges and remind the people that repealing Glass-Steagall allowed previously illegal behavior that screwed the economy and still affects us all.

I expect them to worry about Benghazi, repealing Obamacare and crying about legality of the EO.