Why do we want another album, anyway?

Dr. Who

if anyone here can name me an album by an artist over 50 that was on par with their more youthful material, let me know.

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

RATT - Infestation

Dylan - Time Out of Mind

Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill

Rush - Clockwork Angels

Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue

Relevancy should be the debate. People are just naming off every band that they like/have liked that is still putting out records today.

I'd love a new album but it wouldn't be relevant. After an initial splash and chatter it would eventually be the topic of another VH1 show 5 years from now where 'C-List' Celebrities talk about how disastrous it was.

Relevancy should be the debate. People are just naming off every band that they like/have liked that is still putting out records today.

I'd love a new album but it wouldn't be relevant. After an initial splash and chatter it would eventually be the topic of another VH1 show 5 years from now where 'C-List' Celebrities talk about how disastrous it was.

Right, however by the same token unless GNR reunites with Slash and puts out new music I genuinly think that GNR's relevance is gone in terms of the current music scene. And it has been gone for a long time, before Chinese Democracy came out even. Like people IMO can try and justify Better not being a radio hit by saying CD never got the right promotion however I believe that GNR just isn't gonna have a huge hit ever again (without the original lineup, that is). And even if the original lineup puts out new music after the inital exitement of the reunion their relevance is on a short timestamp too from my perspective

For me all I care about is good music. At this point I say pull a Robert Plant and not worry about relevancy just put out quality music that has strong songwriting and performances.

Edited by WhazUp

if anyone here can name me an album by an artist over 50 that was on par with their more youthful material, let me know.

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

RATT - Infestation

Dylan - Time Out of Mind

Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill

Rush - Clockwork Angels

Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue

Mötley Crüe - Saints of Los Angeles

Mötley Crüe - Sex

Aerosmith - Just Push Play

Aerosmith - A Little South of Sanity

I waited years to hear Chinese Democracy, in the lead up to it we were told 'Axl has 2 or 3 albums worth of material', if that material was recorded with Finck, Bucket and Brain then I want to hear it... if it's been butchered by BBF, Ferrer and DJ then I don't want to hear it.

I waited years to hear Chinese Democracy, in the lead up to it we were told 'Axl has 2 or 3 albums worth of material', if that material was recorded with Finck, Bucket and Brain then I want to hear it... if it's been butchered by BBF, Ferrer and DJ then I don't want to hear it.

Funniest post I've read in a long long time...Even if the record comes out as butchered (as you said) by BBF, DJ and FF, you will complain it sucks but you will still hear it ...how do you know it's been butchered if you don't listen to it ...LOL

Funniest post I've read in a long long time...Even if the record comes out as butchered (as you said) by BBF, DJ and FF, you will complain it sucks but you will still hear it ...how do you know it's been butchered if you don't listen to it ...LOL

The leaks on ChiDem sound better than the finished album, there's my reference. Of course I'll still hear it, but I doubt it'll attract me in the same way if I find out that a Bucket solo has been replaced by a BBF solo or that Frank has re-recorded drum parts for songs.

Axl is a 52 year old man, soon to be 53. Let's say he was to write, record and release a brand spankin' new album in 2015...Why would we want it? What I mean is...Most 50something rockstars, when they put out new material, it isn't really anything as good or special as what they put out in their prime. I mean, if anyone here can name me an album by an artist over 50 that was on par with their more youthful material, let me know. I'm not saying an new album would be crap simply because Axl's older...But it ain't going to be anything special either. It's like what Axl himself said in the '80s when asked if he listened to new Elton John material; he said no, the new stuff was aimed at an older audience and lacked the fire of the original releases.

I mean when the Stones were in their 50s, they put out Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge. Good albums but...Nothing like the '60s and '70s. When Plant and Page were around the same age as Axl they put out Walking into Clarksdale...Which isn't even really remembered. I'm just saying...for those who want a new album, why do we want it?

Personally, I don't. The GnR name is ruined, the current band is pathetic, Axl's voice is ruined and worst of all DJ Ashba is in Guns n' Roses.

I don't want any new album from this mess at all and I just want Axl to lay GnR to rest.

All I still want is the 1998-2008 11 disc box set Chinese Leftovers and material of the original (real) Guns n' Roses. Or a reunion.

Also, your remarks about the Stones are bollocks. I'm glad they made their post-80's material. Plus they still blow the travesty that calls itself Guns n' Roses away live.

Edited by username

The leaks on ChiDem sound better than the finished album, there's my reference. Of course I'll still hear it, but I doubt it'll attract me in the same way if I find out that a Bucket solo has been replaced by a BBF solo or that Frank has re-recorded drum parts for songs.

You might as well not even bother with it then. You'd have to be clinically brain dead to believe that parts won't have been re-recorded.

You might as well not even bother with it then. You'd have to be clinically brain dead to believe that parts won't have been re-recorded.

I've very much expecting the tracks to be re-recorded, still holding out a slight bit of hope though!

I hope he layers the re-recordings over the old recordings to make them extra complex.

Needs more cowbell.

Adler's only chance to be featured on the next record.
They can bring him in as the special cowbell guest and have him beat that fucker as hard and fast as he can on every track. It will be a revolution in the music industry.
  • Like 1

GN'R have never been relevant since the 1980s. If relevancy is what you require, you need to delve into the field of rap/RnB.

Horseshit. Unless you're a herd-mentality goatsniffing retard, music is an objective medium and relevance (not relevancy, doucheinski) much like quality, enjoyability, and whether or not it's good to fuck to is all in the eye of the beholder (or the ear of the listener).

If you want to equate relevance to 'having an impact on the world' (which you shouldn't cause a Hank Williams song can be relevant to one person, an Enya song can be relevant to one person who's fingerblasting themself in the bath), pretty much music in general is irrelevancy at this point.

Even by your own narrow, whadderdakoolkidsinto standard I'd say having the #1 and #2 album in the US in 1991 as well as some huge songs, chief among them that little ditty about Octembuary Precipitation, made them oh just a wee bit relavinski.

I hope he layers the re-recordings over the old recordings to make them extra complex.

Needs more cowbell.

Adler's only chance to be featured on the next record.
Or indeed any other that people actually buy. Edited by tomfriend