Some CD love emerging...!?

I have seen this article before, definetely a repost (from last year???). As for the album: it has some golden moments, but most is ruined by cheesy or bad lyrics and it doesn't feel like the songs fit together at all. Especially Shackler's feels out of place.

I have seen this article before, definetely a repost (from last year???). As for the album: it has some golden moments, but most is ruined by cheesy or bad lyrics and it doesn't feel like the songs fit together at all. Especially Shackler's feels out of place.

Exact. was for the 5 years anniversary.

Still the best rock album of the last decade, imo

Maybe. But it's easy to do it, when you have 14 milions dollars, Buckethead and 10 years to spend on it.

Edited by Silent Jay

Maybe. But it's easy to do it, when you have 14 milions dollars, Buckethead and 10 years to spend on it.

I don't think the 14 million dollars made anything easier, more then likely it made things a whole lot more difficult. Sure it gave him great resources at his disposal but i think he became a slave to the label that gave him that money always having to fight and struggle with countless people wanting to do it there way.. According to Chinese whispers the Axl was ready to roll he was done with the album happy with it lets put this bad boy out.. In comes I forgot which guy and says it's shit lets make it better.. Holy fuck what was that man thinking this was Axl rose do your home work you can't tell a man with his Psyce that his work is shit.. I don't remember which songs were already done but That album probably would have sold plenty of records off of the gnr name and the fact it was still early 2000's.. If Axl gets that album he wanted out in 20001 or watever we would have the trilogy by now..

I don't think the 14 million dollars made anything easier, more then likely it made things a whole lot more difficult. Sure it gave him great resources at his disposal but i think he became a slave to the label that gave him that money always having to fight and struggle with countless people wanting to do it there way.. According to Chinese whispers the Axl was ready to roll he was done with the album happy with it lets put this bad boy out.. In comes I forgot which guy and says it's shit lets make it better.. Holy fuck what was that man thinking this was Axl rose do your home work you can't tell a man with his Psyce that his work is shit.. I don't remember which songs were already done but That album probably would have sold plenty of records off of the gnr name and the fact it was still early 2000's.. If Axl gets that album he wanted out in 20001 or watever we would have the trilogy by now..

I think when Bob Ezrin said to Axl that he has 2 and a half great songs on the record, he was right. Hired Baker after this and all the Interscope bullshit was a big mistake (like tommy said before), but Axl believed in them.

That's why you have nu-outdated whatever songs like Shackler, Scraped, Rhiad, Madagascar and so on.

I look at it as the album that shows up Axl as being the Emperor with no Clothes.

That's a very fair assessment, in my opinion.

I've said this a bajillion times, but I actually like through to love the songs on Chinese Democracy, but not as they are on the actual album.

The (Finck lineup) live renditions and leaks are so much better than what ended up on the album...too many cooks spoiled the broth.

And I have no doubt that if another album comes out it will have Ron, Frank and DJ pasted over the top of material they had nothing to do with creating.

My daughter(13) found CD on my cds collection. She never liked GNR, i rarely play GNR in the house. Somehow she is in love with CD, Better and Street of Dreams seems to be the most played, also If the World.

She's been a fan of Queen for some time, so that could explain why she prefer CD over the old GNR stuff.

So there's hope for the new generation.

I like how there is another narrative emerging that suggests people who love Queen and the Illusions material somehow "get" CD as opposed to fans of Appetite who seemingly cannot comprehend its "brilliance".

Very amusing.

- Yours,

A fan of Queen, Appetite and the IIlusions who happens to think CD is tripe.

• Like 1

I like how there is another narrative emerging that suggests people who love Queen and the Illusions material somehow "get" CD as opposed to fans of Appetite who seemingly cannot comprehend its "brilliance".

Very amusing.

- Yours,

I'm not sure if anyone is saying a fan of appetite wouldn't be able to releaize cd's "brilliance"as you say. More saying that if you like axls work on the illusions you know those piano driven over the top balads then you would be more prone to liking his work on Chinese. It's no mystery and kind of the concensus around the forum that Chinese is not filled with straight up 80s rockers

I think slash himself said he started to hate all that over the top stuff starting during the illusions era

Edited by Estranged Coma

Very amusing.

- Yours,

Good for you.

but i never said that. anyway im not sure if you are talking to me.

The few fans of CD just can't accept that so many people see it for what it is - a mediocre album with only hints of the brilliance of old.

So they increasingly come up with ludicrous explanations for why people don't "get it" not realising that there is nothing to get.

The most susceptible are those whose awe of Axl Rose has gotten the better of their judgement.

I do accept that some people genuinely like it for what it is. They just have shit taste. I don't have a problem with that.

The few fans of CD just can't accept that so many people see it for what it is - a mediocre album with only hints of the brilliance of old.

So they increasingly come up with ludicrous explanations for why people don't "get it" not realising that there is nothing to get.

The most susceptible are those whose awe of Axl Rose has gotten the better of their judgement.

I do accept that some people genuinely like it for what it is. They just have shit taste. I don't have a problem with that.

I missed those comments from fans in this thread.

I missed those comments from fans in this thread.

So?

I think Chinese Democracy is kinda overrated outside this forum. For an inconsistent album from an old LA rocker trying to mix Linkin Park guitars and beats with Elton John piano it gets way too much praise IMO.

Edited by ProstituteComa

Could really give a shit what other people think. I like it and thats all that matters to me. If people wanna come to a message board, and bash it everyday thats their perogative.

No one comes here just to bash CD every day. Some people don't like it and they voice that opinion which is totally fine.

Could really give a shit what other people think. I like it and thats all that matters to me. If people wanna come to a message board, and bash it everyday thats their perogative.

No one comes here just to bash CD every day. Some people don't like it and they voice that opinion which is totally fine.

I didnt say they did. I said "if people want to..," hypothetically.

CD suffered from the monumental hype and expectations attached to it. It could never live up to it

This is the biggest misperception repeated often on the forum. There was increasing chatter about the album over the years, not sure I'd call it hype as it was based mostly around the intrigue of the album taking so long and some crazy related rumors why(most reinforcing negative old impressions of Axl). It became a running joke and expectations amongst industry types and I'd say most fans was actually very low without the old band. A very large % of people expected him to either never release the album or, if he did, odds favored a pile of dung. People were holding his reported "I want to deliver the greatest album ever" over his head to make the awaited fall that much bigger. IMO, the generally low expectations is why the album was reviewed OK.

In the end he delivered exactly the album a realistic fan could expect--a wildly uneven record that did show occasional bits of Axl brilliance, but weighed down heavily by a collection of half baked ideas and over indulgence that went unchecked within the band(Ezrin was right, sorry Tommy). But if you're that into Axl, I can see why you'd dig it as the output screams Axl. It represents him perfectly.