Megadeth- Shawn Drover and Chris Broderick Suddenly Quit

Bro-mero

Heavy rumors swirling that Alex Skolnick and Mike Portnoy are joining Megadeth

Dave Ellefson tweeted something about "exciting things happening this week" or something to that effect...I have no idea how to link it here since I'm an old fuck....Skolnick and Portnoy tweeted the exact same thing btw

Edited by Sixes

How different is he compared to Broderick? Not familiar with his guitar playing, wouldn't it be all the same?

jeff loomis was the lead guitarist for nevermore(chris broderick played live for nevermore as well), he is a shredder and a very good one. the main difference is where chris broderick has a more classical style to him, jeff is more progressive oriented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juqbOWDy6Ic

as for skolnick i absolutely love his guitar playing but if he does join i hope he doesnt leave testament, testament are on a roll right now and their last album was killer.

Edited by bran

How different is he compared to Broderick? Not familiar with his guitar playing, wouldn't it be all the same?

jeff loomis was the lead guitarist for nevermore(chris broderick played live for nevermore as well), he is a shredder and a very good one. the main difference is where chris broderick has a more classical style to him, jeff is more progressive oriented.

as for skolnick i absolutely love his guitar playing but if he does join i hope he doesnt leave testament, testament are on a roll right now and their last album was killer.

any news on a new testament album?

any news on a new testament album?

yeah its supposed to be released in early 2015, and it is said to sound like their gathering album which is fucking awesome and had a killer lineup with dave lombardo on drums and steve digiorgio on bass(who just returned to the band this year)

• Like 1

I love Skolnick. One of my favourite guitarists. It would be interesting to see him in Megadeth, but I don't want him leaving Testament either. I'm still drooling over the possibility of another Gathering-type album with Skolnick on leads. Oh my.

All things considered, since they're not disbanding Drover and Broderick leaving might have been the best news in a long time for this band. Hopefully this will develop in Megadeth putting out modern Testament-quality material. Recent albums all felt stale, predictable and lacked something in general for me. Especially after Super Collider it was obvious some change was needed. I still have my doubts tho, because they can get another skilled drummer and lead guitar player, but those cannot fix Dave's voice. They played everything in D-tuning on the recent tour, because he just can't reach the notes anymore.

Edited by Rdeyahlxp

All things considered, since they're not disbanding Drover and Broderick leaving might have been the best news in a long time for this band. Hopefully this will develop in Megadeth putting out modern Testament-quality material. Recent albums all felt stale, predictable and lacked something in general for me. Especially after Super Collider it was obvious some change was needed. I still have my doubts tho, because they can get another skilled drummer and lead guitar player, but those cannot fix Dave's voice. They played everything in D-tuning on the recent tour, because he just can't reach the notes anymore.

• Like 1

Lol I saw that video (and the performance on Kimmel) just after Endgame was released, fucking horrible. Love the band, but he sounds like Daffy Duck with throat cancer in that chorus.

"Like I have said in the past, I don't rule out rejoining MEGADETH and the opportunity would be totally cool. I'm open to whatever could possibly happen. That's up to Dave. Right now I'm focused on writing and demoing songs with [fellow former MEGADETH members] Chris Poland [guitar] and James Lomenzo [bass]."

make it happen dave

"Like I have said in the past, I don't rule out rejoining MEGADETH and the opportunity would be totally cool. I'm open to whatever could possibly happen. That's up to Dave. Right now I'm focused on writing and demoing songs with [fellow former MEGADETH members] Chris Poland [guitar] and James Lomenzo [bass]."
make it happen dave

Well yeah, what's he going to say. He's Nick Menza. You're not really hearing a lot about him aside from Megadeth. Why wouldn't he jump on now and say "well yeah, I wouldn't turn that down." Of course he wouldn't. As happy as he may be, he doesn't have anything else mainstream really going on for him. He'd be stupid to say he wouldn't even think about joining. You've gotta be a Marty Friedman or someone who's left it all behind to convincingly say you haven't given any thought to joining. For Nick, thats a massive paycheck there and I would only believe him joining when Dave says something like "that could be fun." Until then, its all wishful thinking.

lol at menza. just last year this happened

Menza, who was a member of MEGADETH from 1989 to 1998 and appeared on four of the band's studio albums, wrote on his Facebook page earlier today: "I had a blast at NAMM hanging with fans and old friends I also made a major mistake for trying to saying hello to Dave Mustaine at the Dean booth, [which] he totally blew me off and wouldn't even look at me then had his hired goons / bodyguard tell me go away, pretty lame! I'm over it and life goes on!!!"
He added: "I don't hate Dave nor was I trying to get back in the band. [i just wanted to say a] friendly hello, that's all. Nothing more nothing less!
"I have so many other things going on right now that even if Dave asked me back in the band, I would have to turn down the offer."
  • Like 1

Surely Lombardo or Portnoy are no brainers, there's rumours of Jordison, he's a damn good drummer too. The guitarist is the most intriguing part. Super Collider was decent, 13 was good, Endgame was brilliant, United Abominations was good. I think Dave releases things far too often, if he took an extra year they could all have been classics, it's insane how the guy is so consistent but he seems an utter control freak but hey it usually works.

• 2 weeks later...

Well its definitely not gonna be Lombardo.

Forgive me for the ignorance, but I didn't know who he was. I knew the name but forgot what band he was from. He was in Slayer and was recently fired last year and has a name band called Philm. He's on Eddie Trunk's newest podcast today, and it couldn't be clearer that that band is his main focus. Eddie doesn't ask him about Megadeth, obviously, and Dave doesn't say anything like "I'm not gonna be the new Megadeth drummer", but its obvious from how they talk that its not even on his radar. He has a new band who's album just came out and apparently the band already has another album of material.

Just figured he might as well be taken off the table. I'm sure if I knew more about him initially someone could have said that weeks ago, but now having learned about his current priorities, its extremely clear he probably wouldn't even take the job if it was offered to him. No need to really mention him further, unless I have something way wrong. Apparently his band's new album came out in September so I'm surprised he seems to be being mentioned everywhere. He couldn't be any busier.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

There's always going to be reunion/lineup rumors especially when album anniversaries come up, I don't rule out Megadeth doing a run of shows at one venue and Metallica's the surprise band. I'd like to see him writing with Lars and James for each others' albums before they get too old to do it, or just do an EP.