Your Best Albums of 2014

username

It's that time of year kids! Best albums that came out in 2014! I know we're a bit early, but that's ok.

I won't include compilations and live albums.

For me:

- Pink Floyd - The Endless River

- Eric Clapton & Friends - The Breeze: An Appreciation Of JJ Cale

- Leonard Cohen - Popular Problems

- Slash - World On Fire

- Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series Vol 11: The Basement Tapes Complete

- Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes

Still have to listen to Rock Or Bust by AC/DC.

Really, for me, not that much came out this year.

• Like 1

St. Vincent - St. Vincent

Beck - Morning Phase

Jack White - Lazaretto

U2 - Songs of Innocence

Robert Plant - Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - Give the People What They Want

Temples - Sun Structures

Swans - To Be Kind

The War on Drugs - Lost In The Dream

• Like 2

insomnium- shadows of the dying sun

nightingale- retribution

persuader- the fiction maze

bloodbath- grand morbid funeral

ne obliviscaris- citadel

appalachian winter- the epochs that built the mountains

triptykon- melana chasmata

agalloch- the serpent and the sphere

burzum- the ways of yore

mastodon- one more round the sun

novembers doom- bled white

empyrium- the turning of the tides

wolves in the throne room- celistite

opeth- pale communion

cannibal corpse- a skeletal domain

sanctuary- the year the sun died

while heaven wept- suspended at aphelion

fen- carrion skies

goatwhore- constricting rage of the merciless

iced earth- plagues of babylon

darkspace- III-I

anathema- distant satellites.

a lot of other good albums as well 2014 was awesome for music.

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

My favourite album this year is The Golden Echo by Kimbra. The rest I can't really rank yet, but some of my favourites are:

Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

Agalloch - The Serpent And The Sphere

Cynic - Kindly Bent To Free Us

Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun

Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel

Fen - Carrion Skies

Sanctuary - The Year The Sun Died

Opeth - Pale Communion

Casualties Of Cool - Casualties Of Cool

BADBADNOTGOOD - III

Xerath - III

Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright In The End

Kerretta - Perohia

Serdce - Timelessness

Blues Pills - Blues Pills

Robert Plant - Lullaby And... The Ceaseless Roar

Aenaon - Extance

Beyond Creation - Earthborn Evolution

Anathema - Distant Satellites

Animals As Leaders - The Joy Of Motion

I still need to listen (or re-listen) to:

J. Cole - 2014 Forest Hills Drive

Smashing Pumpkins - Monuments To An Elegy

Soen - Tellurian

Crowbar - Symmetry In Black

John Wesley - Disconnect

Royal Blood - Royal Blood

Foster The People - Supermodel

I still have a few to go through that I'm finding out about right now. 2014 has been a great year, and 2015 looks even better so far.

• Like 1

My favourite album this year is The Golden Echo by Kimbra. The rest I can't really rank yet, but some of my favourites are:

Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

Agalloch - The Serpent And The Sphere

Cynic - Kindly Bent To Free Us

Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun

Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel

Fen - Carrion Skies

Sanctuary - The Year The Sun Died

Opeth - Pale Communion

Casualties Of Cool - Casualties Of Cool

BADBADNOTGOOD - III

Xerath - III

Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright In The End

Kerretta - Perohia

Serdce - Timelessness

Blues Pills - Blues Pills

Robert Plant - Lullaby And... The Ceaseless Roar

Aenaon - Extance

Beyond Creation - Earthborn Evolution

Anathema - Distant Satellites

Animals As Leaders - The Joy Of Motion

I still need to listen (or re-listen) to:

J. Cole - 2014 Forest Hills Drive

Smashing Pumpkins - Monuments To An Elegy

Soen - Tellurian

Crowbar - Symmetry In Black

John Wesley - Disconnect

Royal Blood - Royal Blood

Foster The People - Supermodel

I still have a few to go through that I'm finding out about right now. 2014 has been a great year, and 2015 looks even better so far.

shit i forgot anathema :lol:

High Hopes (Bruce Springsteen) - not his best outtake collection by a long shot, but it's great. We finally got American Skin (an apropos song for this week) and the electric Tom Joad in studio form, as well as a handful of other great tunes (and some less great ones). Even when you can tell exactly why Bruce left a song off the record, it's always great to get a peek behind the Boss's curtain.

Modern Vintage (Sixx:AM) - my favorite of the three AM releases. I absolutely love the way they blend different influences, borrowing from and then building on old tunes. Dj quotes some of his work in GNR at points, great solos by other bands elsewhere (Barracuda in the Give Me A Love solo for example). James' voice sounds great, and the interplay between James' and Dj's melodies is as great as ever. Solid energy, great vibe, love it up and down

Run The Jewels 2 (Run The Jewels) - best rap group in the game today. Close Your Eyes would be a track of the year candidate for me no matter what, but add in Zac? Perfection. Love everything those guys have done so far.

• Like 1

burzum- the ways of yore

opeth- pale communion

I thought Opeth definitely perfected the Heritage direction, there was more cohesion in the songs and it retained a lot of the older songs bite and sharpness with little superfluous meanders, even though I dig 75% of Heritage, I just feel Mike's pushes his growls and metal so fucking far, he's earned some prog chill, it's brilliant stuff too so there's no 'I'll settle for this instead' feeling with me.

Once More Round The Sun I am still digesting, it's crazy, it's weird, these are two good things as always with that band. It sounds little like anything that came before, which again, it's a positive vibe.

I haven't heard that new Burzum record, my fave by Varg is Det Som Engang Var (if I remember the name right) and Filosofem, is this worth checking out?

burzum- the ways of yore

opeth- pale communion

I thought Opeth definitely perfected the Heritage direction, there was more cohesion in the songs and it retained a lot of the older songs bite and sharpness with little superfluous meanders, even though I dig 75% of Heritage, I just feel Mike's pushes his growls and metal so fucking far, he's earned some prog chill, it's brilliant stuff too so there's no 'I'll settle for this instead' feeling with me.

Once More Round The Sun I am still digesting, it's crazy, it's weird, these are two good things as always with that band. It sounds little like anything that came before, which again, it's a positive vibe.

I haven't heard that new Burzum record, my fave by Varg is Det Som Engang Var (if I remember the name right) and Filosofem, is this worth checking out?

its very ambient and atmospheric and really has 0 to do with metal or black metal for that matter, it is a style that he started with his prison albums. the album is pretty similar to his last album, sôl austan, mâni vestan maybe with a little more folk influence to it.

burzum- the ways of yore

opeth- pale communion

its very ambient and atmospheric and really has 0 to do with metal or black metal for that matter, it is a style that he started with his prison albums. the album is pretty similar to his last album, sôl austan, mâni vestan maybe with a little more folk influence to it.

I remember reading of those ambient records he did in prison, I'll be sure to check them out first actually. I think DSEV is a seriously good album, Key To The Gate man :headbang:

burzum- the ways of yore

opeth- pale communion

I remember reading of those ambient records he did in prison, I'll be sure to check them out first actually. I think DSEV is a seriously good album, Key To The Gate man :headbang:

yeah it is great, snu mikrokosmos tegn and lost wisdom are fantastic as well. my favorite burzum album is filosofem.

1. Sevendust's Time Travelers and Bonfires

2. Big Wreck's Ghosts

Tied for 3rd (I can't seem to favor one of them over the other, dang it). Slash Featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators' World on Fire and Foo Fighters' Sonic Highways

5. California Breed's Self-Titled

Pretty good year for me. I listened to 27 new albums this year. Most of them were good/great/excellent, some were dull, and some were really weird like the Nickelback album.

Edited by Anguyen92