Black Friday

Ace Nova

I'm just disappointed in people that their consumerism is so bad that they actually buy into doing Black Friday during Thanksgiving dinner. If nobody went shopping, stores wouldn't open then. I'm disappointed that so many people feed the monster.

Maybe we should make a list of well-known stores that are closed on Thanksgiving, so that we can consider giving them more of our business, and giving the stores that are open less business.

Costco is closed on Thanksgiving. Great place to shop.

These shoppers are so stupid they don't realise the best deals are to be had online every fucking day of the year! :rolleyes:

And the ridiculous thing is that a lot of these stores deliberately ship in inferior quality products that are used in the supposedly amazing sales. It's tragic!

I remember back in 1989, I got my first part time job at the age of 15 at FoodPlus, which was a local equivalent of 7Eleven. My sister had worked there too for her first part time job and that's how I got the job. The guy who operated the store was a pretty nice guy but my heart sank when I got my roster for the Christmas period which had me working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day (December 26 public holiday), New Years Eve and New Years Day!!!! I was particularly fond of Christmas and asked to have at least Christmas Day off, thinking that was not an unreasonable request for a 15 year old high school kid with a part time job. The answer was "no". Apparently being a convenience store (back in the day before 7 day a week trading was normal) they had every staff member rostered on to cope with what was always the busiest time of year.

So I quit.

I told the guy "if you can't give me just Christmas Day free to spend with my family I'll not be available for any of the days". He didn't want to acquiesce so accepted my resignation. I was really happy to have all the time free and a few weeks later got a part time job at one of the local fashion boutiques that was more suited to me anyway and from whence I met one of my best friends. :) A year later my sister saw the guy who ran the shop and he said he had a lot of respect for me and what I did. I felt proud at that time for standing up for what I valued. Fortunately, I didn't have to pay the gas and electricity bills and the mortgage so I was enabled to be so principled. It's very unfortunate that certain industries (hospitality as well as retail) don't fight for those days off for EVERYONE.

Are we that addicted to consumption that we can't even curb our appetites for one day so that manipulated employees can have a special day with the people they love? Apparently, yes we are. :rolleyes: That's some pretty fucked up shit. I consider myself pretty materialistic.....I buy a lot of clothes and shoes, yet even I have no problem with the shops closing on certain days completely. But some people are SO fucked up that they would actually prefer to be in a shop rather than spend the day with someone they love. It's actually quite scary how numb their souls must be. :huh:

hooray for tolerance! every Friday's Black Friday.

I jest. :D

Nothing in London that I heard about this year, last year at Midnight Xbox One & PS4 got released.

My friend bought one/missed the Pizza Party that Dizzee Rascal threw for people waiting out for one/blamed me for not going and Tesco not selling them at midnight/drafted me in to help find one in town later that day, this day last year...

You don't need black friday round here, Thieving Cunt Down the Market Friday is the day you want :lol:

The whole Black Friday epidemic is disgusting and humanity should be ashamed of themselves. Morons acting like assholes just to save a few dollars. It's pure idiocy and people who participate in the frenzy aspect of it by lining up and stampeding stores are douchebags in my opinion. People will spend hours upon hours waiting in line for this shit but people won't spend 5 minutes donating blood or helping in a soup kitchen for an hour or whatever. Black Friday madness is a black mark on humanity in my opinion.

Do you donate blood or help in a soup kitchen?

These shoppers are so stupid they don't realise the best deals are to be had online every fucking day of the year! :rolleyes:

Yup.

And the South Park Game of Thrones 3 part parody addressed Black Friday excellently.

The other day I bought this dress online for A$11 (US$9.36) and it included shipping!!!. :lol:

No need to look for a carpark, stand in line, hang around the sterile environment of a shopping centre on a day which I would rather spend with my family and friends.......just a few clicks online at 11pm one evening just as I was about to hop into bed......a week later there it was on my doorstep, all the way from the UK to Australia for US$9.36. :awesomeface:

(I must add though that I will wear it back to front because the low cut V looks much better on my back than on my front. The colour is great on me too, if I say so myself :P)

112bbkp.jpg

Basically I think the retail industry needs to start trying a lot harder than making their customers venture out on a day that they should be spending with their families, not to mention allowing their employees to do the same, for the sake of a few sales. It's time for them to wake up.

I do Black Friday for clothes, I don't doorbust at Best Buy, fuck that shit honestly.

I love Black Friday. This year I only spent around $200, saved maybe $80. The deals this year were unquestionably not as good as last year's, where I spent over 300 because I was just saving so much.

It really angers me how malls are starting to open at 6 pm on Thanksgiving Day instead of midnight. I'm supposed to change my dinner routine just because of your greedy competition with other stores? I had to go to a different mall this year (Cherry Hill instead of King of Prussia, both are great but my preference is with the latter) because KoP opened at 6.

Got a couple pairs of joggers from Pacsun, buy one get one half off. After taking them home I'm not sure I really love one of them, but I know taking it back would only give refund the half price and I'm not sure it's worth it.

Express had some good sales.

Got a sick buttonup from Guess, marked down from $80 to $55. I should've bought more there.

H&M had jack shit, which is what to expect 4/5 times you go there. There were some things I wanted there but the poor quality of the items + how little money I was saving on them made the monstrous line not worth it.

Got a nice flannel from Against All Odds as well as some blue pants that were supposed to be skinny, but they're more like a slim fit. Not really liking how they fit so far, too lengthy and slightly baggier than I wanted them. I have these long and skinny lady legs basically so jeans/pants are hard to get right.

Got a sick buttonup from Guess, marked down from $80 to $55. I should've bought more there.

That's pretty much 30% off which is not a great saving. You'll find better deals than that online every week of the year. Figure out your measurements, read the size charts, learn the returns policy (which are nowadays fantastic) and then reap the rewards ALL YEAR ROUND. You need to know the websites to go to, but they're there. The US has the most amazing online shopping.......I can't believe all of you aren't capitalising on it. :huh:

H&M had jack shit, which is what to expect 4/5 times you go there. There were some things I wanted there but the poor quality of the items + how little money I was saving on them made the monstrous line not worth it.

The thing with H&M is that they're already beyond cheap so at sale time it's just not substantial. Consider that as a shop where you can go all year round and get good deals and forget it if you want a discount. As a female I'm really only knowledgable on the women's stuff which I can't fault for quality based on the price. Having said that I'm also working in fashion so I often alter things to fit me better and will happily do that considering what I'm paying.

• Like 1

The whole Black Friday epidemic is disgusting and humanity should be ashamed of themselves. Morons acting like assholes just to save a few dollars. It's pure idiocy and people who participate in the frenzy aspect of it by lining up and stampeding stores are douchebags in my opinion. People will spend hours upon hours waiting in line for this shit but people won't spend 5 minutes donating blood or helping in a soup kitchen for an hour or whatever. Black Friday madness is a black mark on humanity in my opinion.

Yknow some people who dont earn a lot look forward to that day so they can buy shit that they otherwise couldnt afford, more power to them, i mean everybody jumps on working class folkses back going on about how they dont live within their means...whilst at the same time looking down on them for taking full advantage of shit like this.

I think it is disgusting. The scenes witnessed in that electrical store are truly disgusting. They are like a herd of wolves devouring their prey, the prey being oversized televisions. You can see the greed on their faces. It truly is one of those moments in which I wish to resign my membership of the club of homo sapiens.

• Like 1

I was gonna say that, it's odd to see all these avowed capitalists having such responses towards something which is sort of like the heart and soul of capitalism laid bare for all to see. I'd be curious to know the same peoples opinions on Wall Street and all the shouting and shoving that goes on at the stock market.

Do you donate blood or help in a soup kitchen?

No but he listens to U2, which is the same thing :lol:

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1

Neo-liberalism did its job, somewhat. It couldn't erase all the borders like it wanted to. Erase them for capital, that is. We're beyond that now, and, in a way, responding to the more egregious and ignorant aspects of neo-liberalism. At this point, everyone, so-called multinationals included, is beholden to a finacialized, debt based, super leveraged and, ironically, highly regulated (so that the right people win, of course) economy. We'll see who's allowed to go boom, or should I say bust, first - multinational corporations or banks. I'll bet good money it won't be banks.

I'm just disappointed in people that their consumerism is so bad that they actually buy into doing Black Friday during Thanksgiving dinner. If nobody went shopping, stores wouldn't open then. I'm disappointed that so many people feed the monster.

Maybe we should make a list of well-known stores that are closed on Thanksgiving, so that we can consider giving them more of our business, and giving the stores that are open less business.

Costco is closed on Thanksgiving. Great place to shop.

And the ridiculous thing is that a lot of these stores deliberately ship in inferior quality products that are used in the supposedly amazing sales. It's tragic!

I remember back in 1989, I got my first part time job at the age of 15 at FoodPlus, which was a local equivalent of 7Eleven. My sister had worked there too for her first part time job and that's how I got the job. The guy who operated the store was a pretty nice guy but my heart sank when I got my roster for the Christmas period which had me working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day (December 26 public holiday), New Years Eve and New Years Day!!!! I was particularly fond of Christmas and asked to have at least Christmas Day off, thinking that was not an unreasonable request for a 15 year old high school kid with a part time job. The answer was "no". Apparently being a convenience store (back in the day before 7 day a week trading was normal) they had every staff member rostered on to cope with what was always the busiest time of year.

So I quit.

I told the guy "if you can't give me just Christmas Day free to spend with my family I'll not be available for any of the days". He didn't want to acquiesce so accepted my resignation. I was really happy to have all the time free and a few weeks later got a part time job at one of the local fashion boutiques that was more suited to me anyway and from whence I met one of my best friends. :) A year later my sister saw the guy who ran the shop and he said he had a lot of respect for me and what I did. I felt proud at that time for standing up for what I valued. Fortunately, I didn't have to pay the gas and electricity bills and the mortgage so I was enabled to be so principled. It's very unfortunate that certain industries (hospitality as well as retail) don't fight for those days off for EVERYONE.

Are we that addicted to consumption that we can't even curb our appetites for one day so that manipulated employees can have a special day with the people they love? Apparently, yes we are. :rolleyes: That's some pretty fucked up shit. I consider myself pretty materialistic.....I buy a lot of clothes and shoes, yet even I have no problem with the shops closing on certain days completely. But some people are SO fucked up that they would actually prefer to be in a shop rather than spend the day with someone they love. It's actually quite scary how numb their souls must be. :huh:

Typical lazy Gen X kid. Today's Gen Y kid would have been grateful for the opportunity to work during the holidays.

• Like 1

Typical lazy Gen X kid. Today's Gen Y kid would have been grateful for the opportunity to work during the holidays.

I actually asked my employer if I could work both Thursday and Friday; they wouldn't let me. :(

The other day I bought this dress online for A$11 (US$9.36) and it included shipping!!!. :lol:

No need to look for a carpark, stand in line, hang around the sterile environment of a shopping centre on a day which I would rather spend with my family and friends.......just a few clicks online at 11pm one evening just as I was about to hop into bed......a week later there it was on my doorstep, all the way from the UK to Australia for US$9.36. :awesomeface:

(I must add though that I will wear it back to front because the low cut V looks much better on my back than on my front. The colour is great on me too, if I say so myself :P)

112bbkp.jpg

Basically I think the retail industry needs to start trying a lot harder than making their customers venture out on a day that they should be spending with their families, not to mention allowing their employees to do the same, for the sake of a few sales. It's time for them to wake up.

Not a bad deal for that dress, how much for the girl?

I actually asked my employer if I could work both Thursday and Friday; they wouldn't let me. :(

If only your Boomer/Gen X parents had been as wise as you, we wouldn't be living in this atrocious society today.