Axl n Gilby ?

Snowmass

It's not any rock guitarist role to wait for their chance to prove themself. They have to get up in your face and show they can hack it. He failed.

Bullshit. Nobody but Axl wanted to even sack Gilby, nor were even consulted on the decision, so he presumably did 'show' he could 'hack it' to the majority of the band.

"After a few months during which everyone did their own thing and we got nothing done when we met, Axl fired Gilby without consulting anyone." (Slash, Autobiography)

"Gilby didn't deserve that kind of treatment - especially when he covered our ass so we could complete the world tour when Izzy quit." (Slash, Kerrang, 01/95)

Slash was even recording demos for a future Guns N' Roses album with him at the time. The sacking of Gilby was pure Axl, wanker-type behaviour.
I don't give a fuck what the band (who were likely just glad that the newcomer was in no danger of overshadowing them) think. I'm talking about the fans, numbnuts. He never made an impression on them. Ever.

Not sure I agree. He had a stage persona, slightly more active than Izzy, and seemed to come across well in interviews. I do not know what you expect him to do more? Increase his guitar heroics? He was not brought into the band to fulfill that role.

If he had a stage persona I blinked and missed it. Even DJ gets a bigger reaction by the crowds - I know Gilby is a better player by a country mile and it's not all about showboating but he was always replaceable. Lifted right out.

What do you want him to do on stage? Compete with Axl and Slash? That was not why he was hired. His stage persona was roughly akin to Izzy's whose role he was filling. He was a bit more active than Izzy and seemed to mingle with Slash more, but it was loosely similar, i.e. Keith and Ron style ragged guitar shapes. He also had a duet (Wild Horses) with Slash where he got to demonstrate his style.

Come to think of it Wild Horses was a good part of the show, I'll give him that. Do I want him to compete with Axl and Slash? In as much as I think he should have raised his game and distinguished himself more than he did, yeah. Your point on Izzy is the closest we've come to agreement - yes, that's exactly what he was. A less good replacement Izzy. He had the chops and capability not to stand in that shadow.

another stupid topic that depends solely on personal taste without any relevance.

ie. there are clowns who will say that CD was not only better Than Slash, Snakepit's or Neurotics and VR, but better than UYI's.

People will say Izzy's albums are better than anything Slash did post UYI, just cause they don't like Slash, truth, non of Izzy's albums is not only worse than any Slash, but worse than any Duff or most Gilby albums.

Honestly, Izzy was a founding member, but image wise, Gilby was better fit than Izzy, not to forget Izzy wanted to leave. Also, music wise, there was no great differance. Composing? Hard to tell as there was never GNR written maerial realeased with Gilby.

Fact is, TSI sounded great. ie. Raw Power, Ain't it fun, Black leather...

Same goes for Sorum vs Adler.