Buying albums in 2014

username

Buying albums in 2014  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To be fair, I get a promo copy of every single mainstream country release. So, do those count?

But, I do go back and track down classic rock albums that I missed the first time around, or stuff from the '90s that I loved as a kid that I just never got around to buying at the time (because I was a kid and had no income.)

So far this year I have bought;

Xscape by Michael Jackson
Ghost Stories by Coldplay
World On Fire by Slash
Everything Will Be Alright In The End
The Endless River by Pink Floyd
Sonic Highways by Foo Fighters
Rock Or Bust by AC/DC

I buy CD's most of the time and sometimes I'll buy a certain mp3. The last one I downloaded was probably Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel.

I'll never buy a digital release. I'll still buy physical copies if I deem the album worthy.

Same.

The biggest trend in country music now is releasing a 4 or 5 song digital EP a few months ahead of an album's release, especially for new artists. I'll buy one or those every once in a while, especially if I like the single that's sent to radio. I'm sure that I could just ask the record labels for a download code or for the songs outright, but I do feel it's partly my duty to support new artists that I believe in by dropping a few bucks for their digital EP. It's my small sign of support and token of appreciation if nothing else.

I'll never buy a digital release. I'll still buy physical copies if I deem the album worthy.

Same.

The biggest trend in country music now is releasing a 4 or 5 song digital EP a few months ahead of an album's release, especially for new artists. I'll buy one or those every once in a while, especially if I like the single that's sent to radio. I'm sure that I could just ask the record labels for a download code or for the songs outright, but I do feel it's partly my duty to support new artists that I believe in by dropping a few bucks for their digital EP. It's my small sign of support and token of appreciation if nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

New CDs?

Well, this year was probably my favorite year for new music since 2008! So I bought a bit more-

U2, Floyd, Royal Blood, Slash... I still need to pick up the new Foo Fighters, Robert Plant, and AC/DC records sometime soon. I also haven't listened to the new Black Keys and Ace Frehley albums yet.

I also got a ton of random CDs both used and new throughout the year.

Edited by ZoSoRose

No option for zero?

Question to those that buy a lot of albums, do you buy them after listening to the album and deeming it to be good? Or do you just buy out of respect for the artist? If it's the latter, how often do you find that you just bought a shitty album?

I don't mean to sound condescending, that's great if you buy albums while fucks like me just steal them all, but my thing is that out of all the albums I downloaded this year, I'd only want to pay for a few of them, while the rest I didn't find good enough.

Edited by Jakey Styley

No option for zero?

Question to those that buy a lot of albums, do you buy them after listening to the album and deeming it to be good? Or do you just buy out of respect for the artist? If it's the latter, how often do you find that you just bought a shitty album?

I don't mean to sound condescending, that's great if you buy albums while fucks like me just steal them all, but my thing is that out of all the albums I downloaded this year, I'd only want to pay for a few of them, while the rest I didn't find good enough.

a little bit of both of all those, i respect them, usually if im not totally sure about the album ill listen to the singles or a stream of it and buy it then...

I think ive pretty much given up on downloading music illegally, dont usually trust where im getting them from...

No option for zero?

The only album this year I can think of being disappointed by was Siren Charms by In Flames - I'd heard the 2 songs they put out beforehand and wasn't impressed but expected at least a few good songs on the album (for the album prior they released what I thought were 2 of the weakest tracks first). Normally I'll download an album before I buy it, but that time I didn't, and I regretted it <_<

I download most albums before I buy them, I downloaded or streamed way more albums this year than I actually bought. But if I really like the album, not 2-3 songs, I'll pay $12~ for the physical thing. I like to flip through the artwork and stuff, and sometimes I just feel like listening to something on my stereo or record player. It's not about 'supporting the artist' really, unless they're albums I bought through bandcamp or something - I'll try to catch them live if I'm trying to support them.

edit: I also bought a few Buckethead Pikes this year. Not only is the music awesome but it's cool to have an album sleeve that's signed and has a drawing on it. The Pike albums really are 'unique', though.

Edited by RickRoses