Stairway To Heaven - Yay....or Nay....?

Ace Nova

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yay!

This is the only song I liked Led Zeppelin performing live. They don't change it at all and live it's amazing, but that was in 1973.

All the other LZ songs would go on forever live so Jimmy Page could play his guitar for an hour. LZ has so many amazing songs, but they never performed them live. Always the same songs that would go on and on. Always a drum solo and many guitar solos.

Robert Plant was one of the all time best rock/blues singers in the 60s and 70's yet, he would just sing the same lines over and over again. Really a shame and a waste of talent.

But STH is one of the all time best rock songs ever! Doesn't make much sense, but it still rocks.

It's a masterpiece; nice song structure. Imo, the "Bohemian Rhapsody" level.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a bunch of nonsensical claptrap. And Stairway ain't too far behind, it's just cod-intellectual rubbish thats just meant to sound all literary and clever when it's just a load of shite.

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 2

All the other LZ songs would go on forever live so Jimmy Page could play his guitar for an hour. LZ has so many amazing songs, but they never performed them live. Always the same songs that would go on and on. Always a drum solo and many guitar solos.

They did extend Stairway live, that solo expanded in length pretty much after the first tour.

The notable long jams were on Whole Lotta Love and Dazed & Confused, but songs like The Song Remains The Same, Rock And Roll or The Rain Song didn't change from the studio version.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a bunch of nonsensical claptrap. And Stairway ain't too far behind, it's just cod-intellectual rubbish thats just meant to sound all literary and clever when it's just a load of shite.

I listen to Queen and Led, but these two songs are certainly not my favorites. To me the song is indeed overrated, just as Bohemian is. I don't consider it shite, but by far not their best.

I listen to Queen and Led, but these two songs are certainly not my favorites. To me the song is indeed overrated, just as Bohemian is. I don't consider it shite, but by far not their best.

What bothers me is the phoniness of the intellectualism of it. I mean fans of this kind of shit are the first to pick holes in certain stuff that is very literate and actually clever with it and using it to serve a function other than to make the artist work appear grand or deep, these people will get written off whilst shit like this is considered masterpieces.

For example someone like Morrissey, highly literate, writes amazing clever poigniant songs that are smart and literary but their purpose is very acute, its actually about something and attempting to communicate something, as opposed to just dupe you.

Well to that all i can say is that I'm glad i didnt grow up with an awareness of like 'the classics' of the hard rock ouevre cuz it appears to impair judgement. I just find myself judging that stuff on its own merit. Its worth noting also that like, its young peoples music too so when you come to it when you're younger it probably has a better effect, i only really gave Zep a chance like 5 years ago and they suffered for it.

• Like 1

(I can't quote for some fucking reason) I totally respect someone not liking LZ or Stairway or whatever, I don't go much on Bob Dylan to be honest but I'm not going to try and downplay the guy and his songs.

Don't get me wrong, I don't stand to attention and salute the flag everytime I hear Stairway or anything.

I do genuinely think it's pretty poor though, not just cuz it's Zep', i like some of their stuff, Heartbreaker i think is fantastic, same with Dazed and Confused, same with Black Dog, same with Rock n Roll. Stairway is pretty fuckin' dreadful though. Immigrant Song too.

We can shitcan and denigrate Stairway till the cows come home, it will still be regarded as one of the very best rock songs of all time...because it is.

It's weird with a band like this, because they have so many songs that their fans love, it was never just one song or one album. But Stairway is definitely up there.

I do genuinely think it's pretty poor though, not just cuz it's Zep', i like some of their stuff, Heartbreaker i think is fantastic, same with Dazed and Confused, same with Black Dog, same with Rock n Roll. Stairway is pretty fuckin' dreadful though. Immigrant Song too.

Stairway is just a little too much of everything.

I actually am a Zep fan and like most their songs. Black Dog is to me far better then Stairway. I like the more simple songs the most.

The psychedelic bit in the middle of Whole Lotta Love, when Plant starts shrieking like an organismic woman over a drum track, is tedious beyond belief.

That bit only works the first few times when you newly find out that the pay off is in the impending drum thump. Which is kinda part of the issue with Zep, it sounds like it was made by people on drugs, which often results in an inordinate amount of focus on periphery.

The psychedelic bit in the middle of Whole Lotta Love, when Plant starts shrieking like an organismic woman over a drum track, is tedious beyond belief.

I agree, actually. As a massive Zeppelin fan, Whole Lotta Love is pretty blah as a whole. That bit in the middle is just unnecessary droning to me.

All that said, the rest of their "epics" are awesome to me. Achilles being the best of the lot.

When I was a stoned teenager, I thought that bit was fucking awesome. Especially when it starts switching from speaker to speaker. Now, not so much...

You guys confuse overplaying and "getting used to"ness with quality and creativity. You gotta judge it by the inpact it had when you first recognized the genius of it, and the whole impact it had when it was released and how Whole Lotta Love made fans and critics want LedZep III to be 12 songs worth of that. How artists wanted their Whole Lotta Love and how promiscuous that middle section was. WTTJ ripped off of thaf.