Stairway To Heaven - Yay....or Nay....?

Ace Nova

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's a masterpiece; nice song structure. Imo, the "Bohemian Rhapsody" level.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a bunch of nonsensical claptrap. And Stairway ain't too far behind, it's just cod-intellectual rubbish thats just meant to sound all literary and clever when it's just a load of shite.
I listen to Queen and Led, but these two songs are certainly not my favorites. To me the song is indeed overrated, just as Bohemian is. I don't consider it shite, but by far not their best.

What bothers me is the phoniness of the intellectualism of it. I mean fans of this kind of shit are the first to pick holes in certain stuff that is very literate and actually clever with it and using it to serve a function other than to make the artist work appear grand or deep, these people will get written off whilst shit like this is considered masterpieces.

For example someone like Morrissey, highly literate, writes amazing clever poigniant songs that are smart and literary but their purpose is very acute, its actually about something and attempting to communicate something, as opposed to just dupe you.

If you judge music for lyrical content, then you're always going to find that the vast majority of rock bands were fairly talent-deficient (though nowhere near as talent deficient as today's pop and rock acts). I listen to classic rock, blues, hard rock, metal, etc. for the music, not the lyrics. I judge what I listen to based on how it sounds, not what it says.

The lyrics are gibberish.

Most lyrics are gibberish to me.

Same.

• Like 3

Bob Dylan is considered one of the greatest and one of the most influential lyricists of all time and most of his songs made little sense to me. The only ones I could understand were what he wrote on Blood on the Tracks were most of it was about his deteriorating marriage. Lily Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts probably had nothing to do with it though.

Stairway to Heaven is probably something to do with the writer's spiritual journey where Bohemian Rhapsody was probably more personal, have some deep meaning or it could just be nonsense. What I do know, is that they compliment the music.

Another great song, with no chorus, music structure changes and nonsense lyrics would be A Day in the Life by The Beatles. To me none of these lyrics mean anything, they just go with the song.

f you judge music for lyrical content, then you're always going to find that the vast majority of rock bands were fairly talent-deficient (though nowhere near as talent deficient as today's pop and rock acts)

Which is what my point was, thats its an affectation but a really obvious one that clangs really badly because you have these working class shit shovellers trying to write they are Tolkein, it just doesn't work and the reason why bands like Queen and Zep suffer more than your 99% of all other rockers who write naff lyrics is that Zep and Queen appear to think they are creating high art...and that makes it clang all the worse.

You say you listen to Classic Rock, Metal, Blues, Hard Rock etc...thinking about the genres, which do you think does the best job, lyrically speaking? I'd say Blues...and the harder a given contigent tries the worse it seems to come off, which again kinda hits upon the heart of what I'm getting at.

ok song but for me personally, no way I could ever listen to it again....in fact, that goes for any zeppelin song

what if they recorded or released a song titled: Stairway To Salami Heaven?

debatably the best worst song of all time.

Corrected.

are you really this retarded or this is just a cheap trolling attempt?

I do honestly think it's pretty dreadful? Does that mean I'm retarded then? :lol:

Nope, you just have poor musical taste in rock music,that's all :shrugs:

ok song but for me personally, no way I could ever listen to it again....in fact, that goes for any zeppelin song

what if they recorded or released a song titled: Stairway To Salami Heaven?

debatably the best worst song of all time.

Corrected.

are you really this retarded or this is just a cheap trolling attempt?

I do honestly think it's pretty dreadful? Does that mean I'm retarded then? :lol:

Nope, you just have poor musical taste in rock music,that's all :shrugs:

Well thats curious cuz i think rock music is a load of shit in general.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a bunch of nonsensical claptrap. And Stairway ain't too far behind, it's just cod-intellectual rubbish thats just meant to sound all literary and clever when it's just a load of shite.

are you talking about gangsta rap or hip hop in general? :lol:

(i like both genres, though, but you're just a fucking hypocrite cupcake on this one)

(i like both genres, though, but you're just a fucking hypocrite cupcake on this one)

So, just so im clear here, you citing hip hop in general as an example of faux intellectualising? Are you quite sure about that? Aren't the usual criticisms of hip hop to the contrary? And whats hip hop got to do with Led Zeppelin?

Edited by Lennie Godber

So, just so im clear here, you citing hip hop in general as an example of faux intellectualising? Are you quite sure about that? Aren't the usual criticisms of hip hop to the contrary? And whats hip hop got to do with Led Zeppelin?

I'm quite sure

I don't care about usual criticism

You said you're not a fan of rock music. Then whats your opinion got to do about a timeless masterpiece rock ballad?

Edited by Motivation

'm qutie sure

I don't care about usual criticism

What?

You said you're not a fan of rock music. Then whats your opinion got to do about a timeless masterpiece rock ballad?

Pretty invaluable for a contrary position, don't you think? I mean it's in the thread title sir, yay or nay, like or dislike, I'm in the dislike category, the whole idea of such questions is to assess the assertion of 'timeless masterpiece', don't you think? Unless I misunderstood and the purpose of this thread was so a bunch of Zep fans could agree with each other in writing.

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1

:hahafyou: Stairway is the best

If you disagree you are a hooray for tolerance!

Yes, well i imagineblack people would take a dim view to Zep too, cant say i blame em, being as how they nicked their music :lol:

lol black people's MUSIC

Music is for everyone

You're a racist

The songs are famous because of the performance/quality

yes LZ were a bunch of thiefs/plagisators

But they were the best cover band in the world

Unless I misunderstood and the purpose of this thread was so a bunch of Zep fans could agree with each other in writing.

That's pretty much what the Nobody puts baby in a corner contingent of MyGNR wants My World to be.

Oh fuck off you muppet

What the fuck are you doing here, on a Nobody puts baby in a corner forum if you don't like Nobody puts baby in a corner?

why don't you go and masturbate on kanye west's new shithop album?

same applies for the "i'm a british cool cat" too

Edited by Motivation

lol black people's MUSIC

Music is for everyone

Of course it's for everyone but it's by everyone, is it? It's by the fuckin' author. By the way, the idea of using capitals for emphasis is that you capitalise the thing over which you are being incredulous, which i presume was the notion of musical exclusivity based on race, it might've been a good idea to capitalise BLACK PEOPLE'S. Unless your incredulousness was due to the fact that you're having a discussion about music.

You're a racist

And what if I was, whats it gotta do with you or to do with the fact the blues comes from black people and when you steal things, we're not talking about mimicing a genre, we're talking about stealing actual songs and pieces of music and avoiding giving just dues, whether monetary or in terms of credit, thats you taking from the author and it's wrong on a number of levels.

The songs are famous because of the performance/quality

Yes? And? Whoose disputed that? The problem lies in the fact that that quality was not the construct of Led Zeppelin.

yes LZ were a bunch of thiefs/plagisators

But i thought music was for everyone?

But they were the best cover band in the world

I'll take your word for it.

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1

Oh fuck off you muppet

What the fuck are you doing here, on a Nobody puts baby in a corner forum if you don't like Nobody puts baby in a corner?

why don't you go and masturbate on kanye west's new shithop album?

same applies for the "i'm a british cool cat" too

Why do you have to be such a fuckin' bitch about it, it's just music and we're in a thread designed to give opinions on liking or disliking it, it's not a fuckin' war, we're adults here right? I mean how fuckin' old are you, why are you getting your panties in a bunch over the fact someone doesn't like the same band as you? Do you see how ridiculous that is, do you see what an absolute fucking fool you look behaving like that?

When i criticise Led Zeppelin thats not me attacking you, i don't know you, i don't care to know you, a thousand morons like you could fall off a cliff this very second and it wouldn't make a turds worth of difference to me or anyone i know, it's a discussion about music, if you're that much of a fuckin' 4 year old that you can't handle that kinda shit without behaving like a bitch with a skinned knee playing tug of war over a fuckin' Barbie doll maybe you should just like, y'know, not engage in em?

It's music, these people don't belong to you, they are people that create something that you pay for, thats it, thats the end of your relationship, there is no need to jump to their defence over the fact that their music is not to some peoples taste, i didn't slap your mother here, i gave my opinion on minstrels...and thats all any of these fuckers are, whether they're your favorite band or my favorite band or whoever, it's the equivalent of you looking to get into a barney with me over the fact that i bought a Panasonic dvd player and you got a Sony one.

As far as me liking Kanye West, yeah, good call dickhead, you got that one spot on :lol: 'what the fuck am i doing here?' Hmmm, what i fuckin' like, whats it gotta do with you? Do you own the forum? No. Are you in charge of who gets to post on here? No. Honestly, ain't you got no fuckin' loved ones or family or a bird to direct these attachments towards, those are the people that kinda high emotion is supposed to be reserved for, not people you've seen on the telly, it's bordering on creepy.

Edited by Lennie Godber