Reckless Road and CD

Marc,

Have you ever drawn any parallels between your journey to get out your book and Axl's journey to get out CD? Both took roughly about the sometime to get to the public and was beset by a slew of unforeseen obstacles. I would like to know what the "fuck it" moment was for you in releasing your book. There had to be a moment when you said Im doing this regardless of Axl's wishes. What was that moment. It can't just be sharing it with the fans. This was a passion project.

Edited by Carlos Castaneda

Marc, you told us before that it took a long time to get the book out, but at the same time you told us that you did not have the time to edit it properly, because it had to be released.....I do not really understand this.

Edited by LyndaRose

The draft that I gave them didn't have any typos. The problem was in 2007 we decided to interview all the other people that talk in the book. Those interviews were then transcribed and then parts of them put in the book as place holders around the photos. Then my publisher when ahead and spent a lot of the investors money on himself and thought he would pay it back with the preorders. The problem is my publisher thought there would be about 30 thousand preorders but was wrong, we only had 13 hundred. So he was out of money and rushed out the book thinking that stores would start to sell them faster and that he would then have money to promote the book the way it should have been done. All I know is that I got to look at word docs of the text one day before it went to print. I found a ton of mistakes plus some things that should not have been in the book. I made a list of over 100 things that needed to be fixed. I sent it in and also changed a lot of them on the phone with the publisher but there were problems with the format that the book was in while it was at the printer. Every time we fixed one thing, it would grab a word from the next page to make up for something we took out. My publisher informed me that there is nothing he can do but wait until the reprint. None of this would have happened if he didn't spend money that was not his. We could have had the book proofread and I could have taking out a few things that didn't belong in the book in the first place. Also I wanted to add more info that got cut out because it didn't fit with the sections of subjects of text chats that were put in the book after the interviews were done.

• Like 1

Spencer Proffer and Desi Craft said some things that were not true and I would have taken the out.

At the time which was in 2001 I told Slash about playing on a few songs on CD and what Axl's demands were. There was no way he would do that, he felt that he did nothing wrong and had nothing to apologize for and would no way work with the people that were in the band at that time. He would have still done a reunion but not play on just a few songs with a different band.

Spencer Proffer and Desi Craft said some things that were not true and I would have taken the out.

At the time which was in 2001 I told Slash about playing on a few songs on CD and what Axl's demands were. There was no way he would do that, he felt that he did nothing wrong and had nothing to apologize for and would no way work with the people that were in the band at that time. He would have still done a reunion but not play on just a few songs with a different band.

So there would be zero chance for a reunion even if Axl wants it, lol

Rami Jaffee was on Stern talking about his friendship with Jakob Dylan being pretty shaky, but I don't think they're as bad as Slash and Axl as far as the disconnect goes. I guess after 10-20 years, something's going to give.

I think working with family has to be a lot tougher, so how do you do it??

Marc, if you had been around during the transitional period in which the Newer Lineups developed and had taken pictures and stuff...

...do you think you would have released a book based around that era?

I ask because that period of time is largely shrouded in mystery...

...I think it would be cool to hear their stories too. What do you think?

I don't have any real numbers but I can guess that around 35 to 40 K of the american ones have been sold. There were 6 or 7 other ones made for different countries and they probably printed up around 2 to 5K each and then there are around 5K that were made bad and have bad spines . All I know is that I'm storing around 50k of them so i'm up to my ears in Reckless Road books.