MyGNR International Guitarist's Tone Shootout Super Championship Grand Prix Competition of 2014 Official Competition Thread

Alright, the moment you've all been waiting for.

Me, Rovim, and uncivil war will be judging.

Rules & Regulations:

Submission are open now, you may submit a SoundCloud link or an embedded SoundCloud clip in this thread any time from now, 12/7/14, until 12/21/14 @ 11:59PM - two weeks. I know some of you have done yours already - great, some people haven't, and I'm accounting for last minute entries.

Submissions should be anywhere from 1-3 minutes long, demoing whichever tone(s) of yours you think will win. Video via YouTube, audio via SoundCloud (or YouTube).

In your post, it would be nice (but not required) if you could write a short bullet point list, or paragraph summary of your gear, and recording process.

1 submission per participant.

General notes:

If you have questions or anything other than a "hey man that sounded great," take it to PM or use the discussion thread, so that we can all easily view submissions in a concentrated and efficient manner.

Good luck! Winner gets insurmountable bragging rights, and the right to be jokingly condescending about everyone else's tone.

Edited by OmarBradley

Ok, Like I promised, here's my stuff. this is actually my first recording ever, also the first thing I have ever uploaded.

Since I couldn't find a good and affordable mic, I had to use this camera:

16lgz7n.jpg

It has a lot of background noise, including pedal switching and of course the quality is a bit poor (sorry about that).

So, for the rig rundown:

104qa2c.jpg

Signal goes like this:

Philosopher's tone > JC wah > Big Muff > Nobels ODR1 > BOSS MD2 > BOSS NS2 > (send) > Neo Clone > Variphase >(return) > amp

My amp is a Peavey Envoy 110 40w and my guitar is a Jackson DKA8. Everything was recorded using the high gain input and channel of the amp. I used a V-pick Psycho as my plectrum.

High: 5

Mid: 3

Low: almost 10

Reverb: 7

Boost: 6

The Philosopher's tone (compressor) and NS2 (noise gate) were on thru all the recordings

In the first part I used the ODR1 for the soft verses and the big muff (both tone and wicker on) for the riffs and solo (I actually wanted to use the MD2 for the riffs, but I was having problems with the camera, it wouldn't record it properly). For the solo I also used the wah.

On the second part, I used the neo clone and variphaser + wah to make those fading effects. on the sanitarium verse I simply disengaged the wah.

The third part is my modded MD 2.

The fourth part is, again, the chorus + phaser + wah combo.

There's no post-editing on it, except the tools I used to cut unwanted parts and glue the ones I wanted into a single submission.

Here are the sites I used to do it:

http://cutmp3.net/

http://audio-joiner.com/

This last one added that awkward cross fade thing on the recordings, which kinda messed up the riffs a lil' bit... oh, well

• Like 2

Not too happy with how this turned out, I recorded it through a terrible USB mic in my dad's horribly insulated basement. My volume on my drive sections was low too because it sounded horrible through the mic at louder settings. Meh it just all sounds too muddy through the recording :shrugs:

Either way! This is my submission. It sounds a lot better in person!

https://soundcloud.com/alexstevens404/tone-test-zosorose

Now to talk a bit about my gear-

I updated my entire rig starting in August. In fact, the only piece of gear I use from before that now is my crybaby.

The amplifier is a 40 watt Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. This thing is LOUD and all tubes, baby. The drive channel is not good on it, but the cleans are impeccable. EQ is dialed in as follows-

Treble- 8

Mid- 6

Bass- 5

Reverb- 4

Presence- 9

Volume- 2

Next up I have 3 pedals plugged in-

My overdrive/boost and secret weapon is my Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET

I am using both the OD and boost settings throughout the demo and using the FM and MOSFET settings. OD and Boost are at about half

My delay is a Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail. I almost always have it on to give my tone texture and a bit of an echo effect. GREAT pedal.

Finally is my Dunlop Crybaby 535q. This wah has a lot of settings and right now I am using it to where the signal peaks right before your foot goes all the way forward.

Now the star of the show-

My 2013 Gibson Les Paul Signature T. Just an AWESOME Les Paul. It has a '57 Classic pickup in the neck and a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge. It has coil tapping, Min Etune, and traditional weight relief. Looks, plays, and sounds fantastic.

Here's a few pics I took a while ago, the delay and wah are absent-

ViUFy60.jpg?1

LTFeh9M.jpg?1

(With the Blues Deluxe and Fulldrive. Pickguard is staying off for now)

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2

Since I play out of a Marshall, I don't have a clean tone, so I didn't even record one. I do have an amp I can play clean out of, but honestly I never do. So why even bother with it here???? I play dirty all the time :)

Well here goes, my OFFICIAL submission. There are some mistakes in it, as I did 3 quick takes and took the best one.

Here is my Rig Rundown video. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

http://youtu.be/9t0D1AyV6Cs?list=UU3pVqX9CVHsL9xkeEl-H3GA

Here is another one just for kicks....

I also have a few other recordings with my old band on here, if anyone wants to check them out. I figured since I had to create a Soundcloud page for this competiton, might as well throw soem of my older things on there as well, enjoy.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

Here's my submission, not that I recorded this with this propose but here it is:

Les Paul -> cheap Marshall Jackhammer Pedal -> Computer

I don't play clean so I skip that part :)

The song is about the legends of long ago... Thin Lizzy - Back Rose

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And the winner is...............

ZoSoRose

There were a lot of really great tones on MYGNR, and it was tough to pick. The judges had a lot of back and forth, and discussion, but in the end we had to choose one. Even though the entry had a lot of recording distortion, we could hear the natural rich fullness to the tone. It was all around warm, with grit and clarity. It's tough to get a good recording on a low budget, and everyone did a really good job. Perhaps we'll make this an annual competition around the holiday times. Hope everyone had fun, everyone did a great job!

• Like 4

Holy shit! Did not expect that with all of the really good submissions!

Thanks a ton! Glad to know all that money I blew on my new rig was worth it :lol:

Huge shout out to Omar, this was a lot of fun, and I hope everyone continues to rock! We should definitely make this an annual thing :headbang:

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

Nice job by all.........

My personal favorites were

1. Axlisold

2. Klay

Volunteer to judge next time! :P

But in all seriousness, this is why it's tough to really put a "#1" on any of these recordings. Even with 3 judges... it's still a subjective decision. More judges/different judges next year would be a good idea. Maybe even an open poll?