MyGNR International Guitarist's Tone Shootout Super Championship Grand Prix Competition of 2014 Official Competition Thread

Nice job by all.........

My personal favorites were

1. Axlisold

2. Klay

Volunteer to judge next time! :P

But in all seriousness, this is why it's tough to really put a "#1" on any of these recordings. Even with 3 judges... it's still a subjective decision. More judges/different judges next year would be a good idea. Maybe even an open poll?

WUT? :wow: I was certain my position as a judge is secure for next year. Don't try me Omar. :max:

Nice job by all.........

1. Axlisold

2. Klay

But in all seriousness, this is why it's tough to really put a "#1" on any of these recordings. Even with 3 judges... it's still a subjective decision. More judges/different judges next year would be a good idea. Maybe even an open poll?

WUT? :wow: I was certain my position as a judge is secure for next year. Don't try me Omar. :max:

ab9.jpg

• Like 2

Nice job by all.........

1. Axlisold

2. Klay

I knew I should have asked for bribes while I had the chance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know a winner has already been chosen, but just for giggles here's a more in depth breakdown with a brief clip. Here is a clip of me playing with a local country singer.

Gibson Les Paul traditional pro II

Seymour Duncan Pro Alnico II bridge

Gibson '57 classic Neck

Ernie Ball power slinky's (.11-.48)

1.14 mm tortex pick

Amp

Marshall DSL 100h head, JCM 800 A angled cab

Treble: 7

Mid: 7

Bass: 5

Presence: 8

Resonance: 9

Gain: 6-7

I'm of the church of Marshall + Les Paul. Not that other tones are invalid, but it is what works for me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know a winner has already been chosen, but just for giggles here's a more in depth breakdown with a brief clip. Here is a clip of me playing with a local country singer.

Gibson Les Paul traditional pro II

Seymour Duncan Pro Alnico II bridge

Gibson '57 classic Neck

Ernie Ball power slinky's (.11-.48)

1.14 mm tortex pick

Amp

Marshall DSL 100h head, JCM 800 A angled cab

Treble: 7

Mid: 7

Bass: 5

Presence: 8

Resonance: 9

Gain: 6-7

I'm of the church of Marshall + Les Paul. Not that other tones are invalid, but it is what works for me.

Holy fuck, that's just the DSL?

The newer DSL's (50H, 100H, 40C, 15C, 5C) actually get pretty good reviews from everywhere. The previous JCM 2000's, the DSL401C, and I don't remember what the head was called, had more mixed reviews. But yeah the newer DSL's are generally really good sounding for rock/hard rock/metal with a pedal.

the DSL's are only as good as the cab it goes through and the guitar with it. Mine goes through a JCM 800 1960A cab. The clean/crunch tube Chanel emulates the JCM 800 sort of tone. On the video I posted though I used the lead channel which still goes through tubes but the gain is augmented digitally. So if your guitar center had the head going through an MG cab, it's going to sound shitty (which might be what they want so you go after the more expensive models).

I use the crunch channel as my rhythm and use the channel switch as my lead. The difficulty is figuring settings to get the tones to match in such a way that there isnt a jarring different going from rhythm to lead playing. But the amp is very versatile and you can make it do some great things.

Edited by TeeJay410

the DSL's are only as good as the cab it goes through and the guitar with it. Mine goes through a JCM 800 1960A cab. The clean/crunch tube Chanel emulates the JCM 800 sort of tone. On the video I posted though I used the lead channel which still goes through tubes but the gain is augmented digitally. So if your guitar center had the head going through an MG cab, it's going to sound shitty (which might be what they want so you go after the more expensive models).

I use the crunch channel as my rhythm and use the channel switch as my lead. The difficulty is figuring settings to get the tones to match in such a way that there isnt a jarring different going from rhythm to lead playing. But the amp is very versatile and you can make it do some great things.

Are the speakers in the cab the 65's, or 75's? Or did you put new ones in?

I'm honestly not sure, I didn't put any new ones in. I believe it's the 65's Edited by TeeJay410

I'm honestly not sure, I didn't put any new ones in. I believe it's the 65's

Nice yeah, most people prefer the 65's, but I've seen preference for the 75's too. It can depend on the amp, but the 65's are generally rounder and warmer, and less harsh/bright than the 75's. Marshall switched from the 65's to the 75's in the early/mid 80's, right around '83/'84 I think.

The DSL will go out of production this year and be replaced by a new series.

Marshall is going to have a product offensive, several models will come out during 2015.

People who have tested both amps seem to prefer the original JCM 2000 made in UK; the demos I've heard online of the DSL 100 seem to be great!