New Toho Godzilla in 2016

Amir

3 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I'd it just me, or did it look like that one of the Generals was the SAME guy that played the General in some of the Heisei films? Sorry I don't remember his name, but he was in a few of them, he also had a cameo in Final Wars.

Are you referring to Takai Aso? I didn't see him in there. I thought I saw Kenji Sahara but as far as I know, few of the older actors return in this film. I do see some familiar faces from the later Godzilla and Gamera films.

I am really excited about this film. More so than the 2014 film. 

12 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Are you referring to Takai Aso? I didn't see him in there. I thought I saw Kenji Sahara but as far as I know, few of the older actors return in this film. I do see some familiar faces from the later Godzilla and Gamera films.

I am really excited about this film. More so than the 2014 film. 

Yes that's who I was talking about, Commander Takai Aso. I looked it up, and he isn't in the new movie. I always liked him, so that's a bummer, oh well. He is probably my favorite returning character over the course of the Heisei series.

I know some people liked Miki Seagusa, and I did in the first couple of films she was in, Biollante especially. But as the Heisei series went along, she got in my nerves. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is everyone aware of the major changes they made to Godzilla's origin? I mean ok, we had Godzillasaurus and all but this is a whole new level we're taking about

multiple forms and origin story

And the pictures of the last scene left me really wondering what they're planning for the franchise's future... Completely different from anything we've seen so far.

Plus:

most powerful atomic breath yet, bunch of lasers coming out of his back and "atomic breath" also coming out of the tip of his tail

Wow that Godzilla design is amazing! How creative and monstrous.

I've never watched any of the Japanese classics, or even the newer ones. I think I've only seen the two shitty American ones.

I think I'll give this a go. That trailer looked good, and I absolutely love the look of Godzilla

On 10/7/2016 at 2:48 PM, Dan H. said:

Wow that Godzilla design is amazing! How creative and monstrous.

I've never watched any of the Japanese classics, or even the newer ones. I think I've only seen the two shitty American ones.

I think I'll give this a go. That trailer looked good, and I absolutely love the look of Godzilla

The latest american one is pretty good, IMO. If you wanna watch the Toho films, I suggest:

Showa Era:

Gojira (1954)

Godzilla VS King Kong

Terror of Mechagodzilla

Godzilla VS Mothra

Heisei Series:

Godzilla (1985)

Godzilla VS Biollante

Godzilla VS King Ghidorah

Godzilla VS Destoroyah

Millenium Series:

Godzilla 2000

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla

Godzilla Final Wars

• Like 2

It was good, but much like how I felt after Godzilla 2014, I felt like I didn't really get the film I expected. I'll say this out front - there was a lot more Godzilla in this than 2014 luckily. It was nice that they introduced Godzilla plenty early also. 

That said, a better title for this film would've been "Godzilla Vs. Red Tape". Much of the human story in the film revolved around how they couldn't get anything done because of the political process. There's one scene even where a helicopter gunner asks if he's allowed to take a shot while there's a civilian in the area, and the question gets passed through about 10 different people in 10 different agencies, going all the way to the Prime Minister. The Godzilla scenes were pretty good, but the human scenes were pretty taxing at times with so much political jargon. 

Also, what the fuck is with the vast difference in quality of the CGI from Godzilla's first appearance to Godzilla's second appearance? His first scene is literally worse than the CGI in Jurassic Park, I couldn't help but laugh out loud at it :lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

It was good, but much like how I felt after Godzilla 2014, I felt like I didn't really get the film I expected. I'll say this out front - there was a lot more Godzilla in this than 2014 luckily. It was nice that they introduced Godzilla plenty early also. 

That said, a better title for this film would've been "Godzilla Vs. Red Tape". Much of the human story in the film revolved around how they couldn't get anything done because of the political process. There's one scene even where a helicopter gunner asks if he's allowed to take a shot while there's a civilian in the area, and the question gets passed through about 10 different people in 10 different agencies, going all the way to the Prime Minister. The Godzilla scenes were pretty good, but the human scenes were pretty taxing at times with so much political jargon. 

Also, what the fuck is with the vast difference in quality of the CGI from Godzilla's first appearance to Godzilla's second appearance? His first scene is literally worse than the CGI in Jurassic Park, I couldn't help but laugh out loud at it :lol:

Im sure if I go back to the 2014 Godzilla thread I said I loved the movie. Now that years have passed, I can clearly say it was a big let down. My hype for this wasnt near like that so I am excited to see this. Ill see it when I can get it on video (or download), with some popcorn and weed and have a good time lol

• Like 1

Just got back from this. Was pretty cool. More politics than I expected, but I also liked the politics and the human characters much more than I was expecting so it was fine by me. Soundtrack sounded like it was basically lifted straight from Neon Genesis Evangelion. First Godzilla movie I've seen and it was pretty damn good, honestly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally watched it. I thought it was better than the Legendary film from 2014. The FX weren't as good but they had the balls to show Godzilla in daylight and without brief glimpse. I felt in the Legendary film the only showing Godzilla at night and brief glimpse was an excuse for audience to not notice the CGI. 

I have yet to watch it dubbed but I wonder if the film is better for it. The Japanese actress who played the "Japanese-American" diplomat spoke English very poorly for someone who was born and raised in the United States. Her last name was "Patterson". The subtitles came in handy during her English speaking scenes. A Japanese who had a couple lines in English spoke it more fluently. 

As usual the English language dialog is the worse part of these movies. They hire the worse English speaking actors possible. Possibly because money.