New Toho Godzilla in 2016

Amir

As long it is nothing like Final Wars.

I enjoy Final Wars, its the best of the Millenium films IMO. IMO it's the grand finale to the Heisei era, Godzilla jr's final ride if you will. Ya the whole mutant matrix dudes are annoying, but most of the nonmonster characters are boring anyways. Only a handful of nonmonster Godzilla characters were EVER any good IMO. But I don't watch those movies for the actors anyways, so that never really bothered me. Honestly the original, Ghidorah 3 headed monster, and invasion of the astro monster are the only films of the entire series where I don't get completly bored when the actors are on screen. So 3 out of 30ish??? Great ratio!!! :)

The worst for me are the twin Mothra fairies, I hate those two, lol. Also that lady that sings the song that goes on for forever in the original Godzilla vs mechagodzilla. That might be the longest and boringest scene in the history of cinema. It's like watching paint dry....

Edited by Mike420

The mothra twins are horrible... Man, when they're on scene, I get my cellphone. And I enjoyed Final Wars. The battle scenes are great. That Gigan scene is legendary. The Zilla vc Godzilla battle was fun too. So many monsters, liked it a lot. Haven't watched all from the millennium series but so far my fave was 2000.

The mothra twins are horrible... Man, when they're on scene, I get my cellphone. And I enjoyed Final Wars. The battle scenes are great. That Gigan scene is legendary. The Zilla vc Godzilla battle was fun too. So many monsters, liked it a lot. Haven't watched all from the millennium series but so far my fave was 2000.

Agreed. FW has some great battles in it. I do wish Zilla would have lasted more than 5 seconds though.... They couldn't kill that atrocity fast enough, lol. It would have been better to let the big G finish Zilla like he did in the new film, that was a finishing move and a half. I was waiting for Shao Khan to say "Fatality."

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Mothra twins. In every film. Especially in their own language.

I look forward to the Legendary Godzilla sequels, I just hope Edwards can show more Godzilla.

As much as I love the look and design of LegendaryGoji, I can't wait to see the man in the suit again. They have to do the suit.

I really hope they fire Edwards. He blew his chances with Godzilla. Godzilla was awesome but everything else sucked. Aaron Johnson sucked, Olson was boring and also killing Byran Cranston was dumb. You don't leave the prized horse in the stable during The Kentucky Derby.

I liked the new Godzilla, its pretty much everything 10 year old me wanted in a Godzilla movie. Ya the actoers weren't the greatest, but I don't hate them as much as some. But I will say this, the old Toho classics will always be the holy grail for Godzilla to me, especially the Showa and Heisei eras.

Who would you say were the best non-monster Godzilla characters? I guess Miki Saegusa stands out because she was in so many films, I liked Shinsuke Shindo from Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah as well, the scene where he's looking into Godzilla's eyes before he gets vapourised was quite moving from what I recall (though I haven't seen that film since I was a kid, and I cried when they torpedo-ed the giant octopus in It Came From Beneath The Sea, so I can't really claim my judgement will stand when viewing the film as an adult.)

Akira Ichinose from Terror of Mechagodzilla was another one, I felt really sorry for him at the end.

Edited by Graeme

I've had a crush on Miki when I was a kid. The Toho films for the most part had some pretty likable human characters. I don't know much about the male actors, save Nick Adams who basically went to Japan because he wasn't getting enough offers in Hollywood, but I imagine they were pretty well known in Japan. The actresses, many of them were known beauty queens. Two of them were Mie Hama and Akio Wakabayashi went on to be Bond girls in You Only Live Twice.

I think the most well known actors for fans were Akihiko Hirata, Akira Takarada and Kenji Sahara. Hirata was in a lot of the Showa films, but his best roles were Serizawa in the first film and Mifune in Terror of MechaGodzilla.

Oh, I take that back. The most well known Japanese actor in the Godzilla films has only been featured in one film and basically had a cameo in another. Takashi Shimura, most famous internationally for his work with Kurosawa. He basically gave that film a boost. He was filming Seven Samurai nearby, I think the actors used to visit each other's sets. One set he is this frail old man, another a bad ass samurai.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

To be honest I'm not a big Miki Saegusa fan. I mean she is alright, I don't dislike her. The first couple of films were fine, but towards the end of the Heisei series I was just plain sick of her, especially since she didn't add much to the story except "Godzilla expert Miki Saegusa." But as I have said before, all of the actors in the original really stand out, as well as Ghidorah the 3 headed monster and Invasion of the Astromonster. I can't remember all the characters off the top of my head, but I found them all to be far more engaging and interesting than any other Godzilla films.

I'll also add the characters from Godzilla vs Biolante as my honerable mention. For one it is the first film to feature Miki, but also the doctor and Miki's friend were also suprisingly remeberable (even though I can't remember any of the names for the life of me.) Well except for Miki (because she is in so many films) and the characters from the original, I remember them. But the rest all sound Greek to me.....

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Who would you say were the best non-monster Godzilla characters? I guess Miki Saegusa stands out because she was in so many films, I liked Shinsuke Shindo from Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah as well, the scene where he's looking into Godzilla's eyes before he gets vapourised was quite moving from what I recall (though I haven't seen that film since I was a kid, and I cried when they torpedo-ed the giant octopus in It Came From Beneath The Sea, so I can't really claim my judgement will stand when viewing the film as an adult.)

Akira Ichinose from Terror of Mechagodzilla was another one, I felt really sorry for him at the end.

Don Frye in Final Wars.

I find it interesting they've decided to make another film. Back in the 90's when Toho allowed Tristar to film their version of Godzilla and the planned sequels, Toho did not plan to get back into Godzilla until 2003. Then they saw how poorly received Zilla was and both sequels were cancelled, they've decided to film and release Godzilla just one year later. That was Godzilla 2000.

Also Gamera was generating some revenues and rave reviews, can't let that happen. Now with the success of Godzilla 2014 in Japan and a sequel coming in 2017, plus a Gamera film next year, it is now or never for Toho.

• 2 weeks later...