New Toho Godzilla in 2016

Amir

On 8/24/2019 at 5:56 PM, ZoSoRose said:

SUPER Bump

Finally watched it yesterday. I loved it. Way better than the 2014 and 2019 American films. Godzilla was legitimately scary and I liked the human parts. The atomic blast scene was breathtaking. Easily my favorite Godzilla movie. 

While I'm not trying to persuade you (we are all entitled to our opinions), but perhaps you might of missed some of the nods to the Toho films in KOTM? These little nods made me "geek out" if I'm honest, and I thought they were done very well.

Here is the list 

Dr. Shirizawa (that's the same name as the main character in the 1954 film)

Oxygen Destoyer (same device used to kill Godzilla in the 1954 film)

Monster Zero (in invasion of the Astro Monster, King Ghidorah is called Monster Zero)

The Mothra twins (Mothra has always been included with "Mothra Twins." Which KOTM continued that tradition. While they were fairies in the Toho films, they made them human in KOTM, but still it was a nice touch. 

These are the big ones that come to mind right now, but there are probably more. I thought they were REALLY well done, and nice touch for G fans. On par with anything Marvel has done (in regards to Easter Eggs) imo. 

As far as comparing KOTM to Shin Godzilla, it's kinda apples and oranges to a certain extent. Shin Godzilla has more in common with Goijira/ Godzilla 1954 and Godzilla 1985/ Return of Godzilla than it does to the rest of the films. Those were the films that portrayed Godzilla as force of nature more so than a "monster mash." He was also CLEARLY the enemy of mankind. While I DO enjoy those style of Godzilla films, if I'm honest, I prefer the "monster mash" films. If you like Force of Nature G Films though, nothing tops the original. Even with its primitive technical abilities, it's an amazing achievement in cinema. As well as being really well written. 

Godzilla King of the Monsters on the other hand is the greatest Showa era type film EVER imo (excluding the original). I either have seen or OWN most of Godzilla movies, and while I LOVE the Toho films, they are NOT what I would call "Great Movies" (except for the original). The Showa era especially, I would call fun, campy, cheesy, etc. But they are also the films that creates this universe known as Godzilla. Except for Destroyah, Space Godzilla, Orga, and a few others, ALL other Godzilla monsters are from the Showa era. So for me to say that Godzilla King of the Monsters is the BEST Showa era Godzilla movie ever, is really something. 

If you are looking for some Showa films to watch, here are my recommendations

1. Goijira 

2. Godzilla vs King Kong

3. Mothra vs

4. Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

5. Invasion of the Astro monster

6. Godzilla vs Gigan

7. Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla

These films will help you understand what the Monsterverse is doing.

My final point, King Ghidorah has NEVER looked better. He is imposing, sinister, and a TRUE threat to Godzilla. It really is the King Ghidorah movie. Which he has ALWAYS been my 2nd favourite Kaiju behind Godzilla. Rodman and Mothra also look great, but King Ghidorah is EPIC.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...