New Toho Godzilla in 2016

Amir

It might be different to see him in motion. Is it me or is Toho trying to pretend the Heisei series never happened? Pretty much every film since 1999 was a direct sequel to the 1954 film. Then again they were all mostly reboots. This new look is a throw back to the Showa. Except more terrifying. Godzilla meets Attack on Titan.

Yeah, every since the end of the Heisei era, it's been nothing but reboots. I love the Millennium series but I agree that there could be more continuity to it. But to be fair, Godzilla does die at the end of the Heisei series so... There's no way to go on from that. And you just have to ignore most of the showa era as it just got silly.

Yeah, every since the end of the Heisei era, it's been nothing but reboots. I love the Millennium series but I agree that there could be more continuity to it. But to be fair, Godzilla does die at the end of the Heisei series so... There's no way to go on from that. And you just have to ignore most of the showa era as it just got silly.

He dies but Junior pretty much becomes Godzilla at the end.

He dies but Junior pretty much becomes Godzilla at the end.

Yeah but it's not REALLY Godzilla, it's now "the prince of monsters" :D

• 1 month later...

Just watched a few videos on youtube and some guys have a nice theory: Godzilla looks that way 'cause it's a sequel to the original 1954 Godzilla, and he's regenerating from the oxygen destroyer. That matches up with that rumor that said Godzilla was gonna have multiple forms on the movie.

• 1 month later...

Trailer looks awesome. I love that they don't shy away from showing Godzilla in the promotional material, unlike Godzilla 2014. The trailers for that built a great atmosphere, but unfortunately it wasn't representative of the final film at all.

This could be the case for this film, but as long as I get Godzilla taking on the Japanese military, I am set. I wonder if they felt that LegendaryGoji taking on the US military would not have been well received, given the conflict of the last decade. 

By the way, fans are calling this Godzilla the ShinGojira or ShinGoji, which means "Resurgence Godzilla" 

I also liked that they did not screw around and showed Godzilla in full. The filmmakers seemed very confident. Plus a lot of wide angle shots, so you will see Godzilla in the whole instead of filling the frame. The Japanese are doing this old school but with CG enhancements. 

My expectations have gone up since the trailer. I was a little uneasy with the design but it is done by the same guy who did the 90's Gamera Trilogy which really topped the 90's Godzilla in special effects. Even the Millennium Series didn't come close. 

On 4/14/2016 at 10:12 AM, Raykugen said:

Sorry, but it looks ridiculous to me.

Don't be sorry, it isn't for everyone. Tokusatu fans know how unrealistic the effects are but they don't care about that. Even CGI has its limits. There's a reason why they barely show Godzilla in the 2014 film because after awhile you will see he is just CGI. 

• 1 month later...

This is looking like what I wanted from the 2014 film, I liked it at the time of its release but having rewatched it a bunch of time since, it's disappointing IMO, not only because of the little Godzilla screentime or wasting Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe's characters or even with that Aron Johnson person being a terrible lead but because of the tone, I remember following news of the film during its production and at first it was described as Godzilla coming to punish man for his arrogance or something like that, I thought that was really cool and the trailers seemed to reflect that but it ended up not being the case, I wanted and expected Gojira 1954 and instead got a gritty Showa film.

On 18/5/2016 at 8:33 AM, Georgy Zhukov said:

I still lose my shit at the way he says Destoroyah :lol:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...