John Lennon, 8th December 1980

Len Cnut

34 years to the day :( The greatest man in the history of popular music was cut down by a fat fuckin' prick who i hope is in a lot of pain wherever he is, the odious little cunt.

I think you have misunderstood John Lennon with Chuck Berry?

Nah, I am only joking. Yes, I read Chapman's book and still came across completely confused about his motivation. I have heard it was religious, but, it was not that religious and besides, the whole 'bigger than Jesus' stuff was ancient history by 1980. It was narcissistic attention speaking - pure and simple. By murdering the most famous musician in the world at that time, he, a non-entity drifter, became a public figure.

I ain't reading his book, the fat shit, just what he'd like is someone to care about whats going on in his fuckin' head, fuck him and his book, i really fuckin' hate that bloke, even just the sight of em, fuckin' fat inadequate pussy with no talent, no heart and absolutely nothing about him, what the fuck do you wanna kill John Lennon for?!? Go shoot the fuckin' president or something, thats what yanks usually do, whats fuckin' John ever done cept make music.

If you really think about it, poor John, 40 years his fuckin' feet never touched the ground, born, his parents don't want him, lives with his aunt, Mum comes back, soon as he's close to a relationship with her she gets killed by a drunk copper, gets famous, whole world fuckin' loves him, he gets hounded and chased around the world (not making that aspect out of be expressly tragic, i mean he sought fame and he got it), then he leaves The Beatles, campaigns for peace and for all his troubles he gets hounded by the fuckin' American government...and then just when he's at that point in life where you feel like maybe he's got himself in a place he's happy at and what, he ends up getting killed by some little fatty.

• Like 2

34 years to the day :( The greatest man in the history of popular music was cut down

Its been 34 years since Michael Jackson died???

No, it has not been 34 years since the worlds greatest James Brown knock off died :lol:

Fuck off Len. ;)

Wow, you lost your sense of humour a bit lively eh? :lol: But yes, that was pretty much the length and breadth of your position the last time we had this little discussion :lol: I think it's what is commonly known as 'not having an argument' :lol:

34 years to the day :( The greatest man in the history of popular music was cut down

No, it has not been 34 years since the worlds greatest James Brown knock off died :lol:

Fuck off Len. ;)

Wow, you lost your sense of humour a bit lively eh? :lol: But yes, that was pretty much the length and breadth of your position the last time we had this little discussion :lol: I think it's what is commonly known as 'not having an argument' :lol:

Mozza fans don't justify their opinions. Come to think of it, they also don't refer to their opinions as an "opinion", just a fact that lesser mortals don't understand.

Fuck off Len. ;)

Mozza fans don't justify their opinions. Come to think of it, they also don't refer to their opinions as an "opinion", just a fact that lesser mortals don't understand.

Yeah well Mozza fans can go chase themselves then can't they cuz no ones telling me how to think :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I love me some John Lennon. But MJ was born with an almost supernatural musical gift, I don't think even the most ardent Beatles fan could say the same about John, as brilliant as he was.

Seriously, are you having a laugh, comparing John Lennon to MJ? Lennon and McCartney had a fuckin' production line going of the greatest pop music the world has ever seen, they reeled this shit off over fuckin' egg and chips, Michael Jackson has nothing, literally nothing in talent stakes to compare to John Lennon, literally nothing. The fact that John could sit with Paul McCartney and write a classic album over a weekend is nothing short of phenomenal, I mean the guy was doing this shit from his late teens onwards, its just fuckin' mental. Jacko had an amazing singing voice and could dance very well...but thats about it, comparing him to John Lennon is just absolute lunacy.

Even like writing, Lennon just knew how to write, inately, he could put pen to paper and just write stuff, nonsense prose, in the Lewis Carroll sense, just reeling it off offhand, in his spare time, again, something he'd been doing since his teenage years. Fuckin' proper literary journals picked up on it and said it was fucking brilliant, this was back in the day when literary publications didn't much respect working class writers of pop songs, he was so talented he was doing shit that he didn't even know he was doing, reporters would grill him on literary techniques he was using and he didn't even know he was doing it.

THAT is the very definition of genius. Michael Jackson a supernatural talent? Bollllllllocks. Even as a human being, as a conversationalist and a wit John Lennon was miles and miles and miles ahead of the likes of Michael Jackson, Lennon was so sharp as a wit when you listen to him talk it's as if it's scripted, you just could not get ahead of him in the verbals, he had a withering wit.

There is literally no level upon which Michael Jackson could be considered comparable to John Lennon, none whatsoever, John Lennon was in another stratosphere to him, John Lennon is on the originator level with people like James Brown and Chuck Berry, whilst people like Michael Jackson, and history has and does bear this out, are in the shit knock offs category. Michael Jackson had a better chance in aspiring to be a Mick Jagger than touching the hem of John Lennons garment, he at least had a chance there...and Mick was pretty far beneath John too. Another James Brown rip off artist, note the end of Sympathy for the Devil, Micks performance, and tell me you don't hear Jacko in there.

Quite frankly it's a ludicrous proposition, Michael Jackson over John Lennon, just laughable. Paul McCartney too for that matter (as in Jacko can't touch him either). I dunno what Beatles fans you've been talking to that reckon Jacko over John, i can't believe I'm actually having to explain this to someone. Lennon was so talented it was frightening.

Jacko had an incredible voice, don't get me wrong...but thats about it. Other than that he weren't exactly the worlds greatest writer and other than that, what, he danced very well, 80% of em James Brown moves, OK, he might've perfected them and made them sharper and crisper and he created a wicked spectacle...but thats not enough. Quite frankly Johns songwriting alone, even if he couldn't sing or do anything else, just that ability to write the songs he did the way he did on it's own puts him above Jacko...the rest is just icing on the cake.

Edited by Lennie Godber

Nah, not having none of it I'm afraid Len.

Michael Jackson, like The Beatles, is responsible for some of the best pop music of the last 100 years, and the industry today is literally awash with copycats. If MJ was no more than a cheap JB-knock-off as you like to infer, then why are todays crop looking to Jackson, not Brown for inspiration? Michael Jackson literally set the template for modern-day pop artists, and did it better than anyone before or since.

He was fucking reducing adults to tears at the age of 5, when he first sang in public, singing Climb Every Mountain at his school nativity play. Vocally he could outsing any Beatle, as a songwriter he single handedly penned just as many pop classics as The Beatles, he could pull off genres ranging from funk, pop, R&B, disco, gospel, soul and rock. As a performer, he was second to none. Watch him do Billie Jean on any of his world tours, he had 85,000 in the palm of his hand, no special effects, no backing dancers, literally just him and a spotlight and his God-given showmanship.

MJ was the greatest of all time.

Edited by Towelie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kTR8MXmmUE

Chapman was a nobody and wanted to be somebody. He resented Lennon for being "man of the people" and living in the upper west side of Manhattan. It sucked for Salinger because he'd have this overshadowing him, between Chapman and Hinckley's attempted murder of Reagan a few months later.

Edited by dalsh327

If MJ was no more than a cheap JB-knock-off as you like to infer, then why are todays crop looking to Jackson, not Brown for inspiration? Michael Jackson literally set the template for modern-day pop artists, and did it better than anyone before or since.

Because Jackson/Jagger etc are from a generation where they all looked to James Brown for inspirations, they were just plain and simple rip offs of his shit and thats what modern day pop artists are looking to for inspiraton, a James Brown rip off. And this isn't just me that infers this, i didn't just dream this shit up by myself, Michael Jackson was just that next artist in line to the James Brown template. Jaggers shit is a JB rip off, Jackos is, tons of peoples is, and the people that lead off from there, the way Jagger was like the archetypical rock frontman and the people that led off from there like your Jim Morrisons and Iggy Pops etc, Christ how much of James Brown is there in people like Iggy? Tons. I mean I could literally go on all day about it.

he could pull off genres ranging from funk, pop, R&B, disco, gospel, soul and rock.

So could a great many of the Motown artists though, it was sort of there sphere.

Aside from that there's nothing you've really said in your post to stand up to what I cited as John Lennons talents. He could sing amazingly, thats about all you've really said there in terms of his own inate personal talent.

Jacksons nothing compared to Lennon, he's not even in the same tier, there are people like John Lennon, James Brown, Chuck Berry, who belong in this totally other sphere...and then beneath you have people like Michael Jackson and such. I'd put him on a par with people like Madonna, Prince etc, huge artists in their own right and really not the sorts of people that should have an inferiority complex about their shit, it's just they don't compare to that toppermost percentile, they just don't.

Let's leave the MJ comparisons out of this thread and keep it respectfully on topic, please.

I'm trying but I won't hear a word against dear John :lol: Most especially when stacked up against Jacko...but no, you're right, zipping up :)

If MJ was no more than a cheap JB-knock-off as you like to infer, then why are todays crop looking to Jackson, not Brown for inspiration? Michael Jackson literally set the template for modern-day pop artists, and did it better than anyone before or since.

Because Jackson/Jagger etc are from a generation where they all looked to James Brown for inspirations, they were just plain and simple rip offs of his shit and thats what modern day pop artists are looking to for inspiraton, a James Brown rip off. And this isn't just me that infers this, i didn't just dream this shit up by myself, Michael Jackson was just that next artist in line to the James Brown template. Jaggers shit is a JB rip off, Jackos is, tons of peoples is, and the people that lead off from there, the way Jagger was like the archetypical rock frontman and the people that led off from there like your Jim Morrisons and Iggy Pops etc, Christ how much of James Brown is there in people like Iggy? Tons. I mean I could literally go on all day about it.

he could pull off genres ranging from funk, pop, R&B, disco, gospel, soul and rock.

So could a great many of the Motown artists though, it was sort of there sphere.

Aside from that there's nothing you've really said in your post to stand up to what I cited as John Lennons talents. He could sing amazingly, thats about all you've really said there in terms of his own inate personal talent.

Jacksons nothing compared to Lennon, he's not even in the same tier, there are people like John Lennon, James Brown, Chuck Berry, who belong in this totally other sphere...and then beneath you have people like Michael Jackson and such. I'd put him on a par with people like Madonna, Prince etc, huge artists in their own right and really not the sorts of people that should have an inferiority complex about their shit, it's just they don't compare to that toppermost percentile, they just don't.

Let's leave the MJ comparisons out of this thread and keep it respectfully on topic, please.

I'm trying but I won't hear a word against dear John :lol: Most especially when stacked up against Jacko...but no, you're right, zipping up :)
Don't even get me started on how much more talented Prince is than The Beatles.

Okay, fucking off outta this thread now...

Edited by Towelie

I have a bit of trouble listening to some of his solo stuff as i get older. Its great when you're a kid and everything and it still is great musically but its just too much emotionally.

When you rate someone like i rate John its kinda weird cuz...Mother, Isolation, Hold On, Crippled Inside, I Found Out. its like watching someone you care about go through something awful.

Its some of his best work really but like, lately its nicer hearing the guy on a happier tip, Starting Over, Nobody Told Me...or his more protestey stuff. Or just that he's in love with Yoko and Sean :)

Edited by Lennie Godber

34 years to the date that Mark David Chapman became the man most likely to get rubbed out if someone had a chance to get to him is more like it. Everytime I read the story about it happening I still tear up. It was like his life had finally reached some level that was real to him. He had his family, the drugs and alcohol bullshit was behind him and he'd just returned to music and then this pissflap fucking shot him.

PS We need a Dimebag thread. At least his fat fucking douchebag cunterer got what he deserved. I'd start it but I just worked 17 hours and I'm rooted.

I have a bit of trouble listening to some of his solo stuff as i get older. Its great when you're a kid and everything and it still is great musically but its just too much emotionally.

When you rate someone like i rate John its kinda weird cuz...Mother, Isolation, Hold On, Crippled Inside, I Found Out. its like watching someone you care about go through something awful.

Its some of his best work really but like, lately its nicer hearing the guy on a happier tip, Starting Over, Nobody Told Me...or his more protestey stuff. Or just that he's in love with Yoko and Sean :)

Woman is still perfection.