John Lennon, 8th December 1980

Len Cnut

PS We need a Dimebag thread. At least his fat fucking douchebag cunterer got what he deserved. I'd start it but I just worked 17 hours and I'm rooted.

I made a thread for both of them earlier, but I don't think the title was obvious enough. It was called "Rock in Peace."

The most overrated band ever (followed closely by Led Zeppelin). John the solo artist > anything the Beatles ever did.

See, they have somewhat decent music towards the end, albums like let it be and abbey road. Until Paul opens his mouth and ruins the songs. He's a bad singer. John should have sang them all. Paul's solo career is awful, he's got just a handful of good songs, whereas John is the opposite. I've actually yet to hear a bad Lennon solo song.

They've also got the worst fan base ever. Point out they're nothing more than a boy band and the one direction of the 60's (except 1D has talent!) and all of the sudden you know nothing about music, you have shit taste, etc.

This is a PSA. Fuck the Beatles.

The most overrated band ever (followed closely by Led Zeppelin). John the solo artist > anything the Beatles ever did.

See, they have somewhat decent music towards the end, albums like let it be and abbey road. Until Paul opens his mouth and ruins the songs. He's a bad singer. John should have sang them all. Paul's solo career is awful, he's got just a handful of good songs, whereas John is the opposite. I've actually yet to hear a bad Lennon solo song.

They've also got the worst fan base ever. Point out they're nothing more than a boy band and the one direction of the 60's (except 1D has talent!) and all of the sudden you know nothing about music, you have shit taste, etc.

I forgot about that post. I know we are allowed to our own opinions but it seems Beatles hate are just irrational hatred. Hate them or not, but you can't deny their influences. They changed the game. They turned the studio into a instrument.

Motley Crue, on the other hand... :lol:

• Like 1

I remember it very well, mostly cause it made my mother cry all day.

She was very upset and suddenly started to play the Beatles music again. It's what made me know them and how I became a Beatles fan.

Edited by MB.

He's right about the solo careers though.

I still remember the day I heard this news. I turned on my radio and didn't hear any music. then I heard the djs talking about how John Lennon was murdered last night in front of his apartment building in NYC. I was stunned and then I started to cry.

John was always my favorite Beatle. I loved his sense of human and then how compassionate a man he was. He believed in peace and love and he was one of the people who actually meant it.

I remember thinking how unfair it was for John to be shot dead in the street when all he wanted was peace in his lifetime. It was just so heartbreaking to me. I felt like this murderer took away a very special part of my life.

I hope you have found peace John because you deserve it.

I still remember the day I heard this news. I turned on my radio and didn't hear any music. then I heard the djs talking about how John Lennon was murdered last night in front of his apartment building in NYC. I was stunned and then I started to cry.

John was always my favorite Beatle. I loved his sense of human and then how compassionate a man he was. He believed in peace and love and he was one of the people who actually meant it.

I remember thinking how unfair it was for John to be shot dead in the street when all he wanted was peace in his lifetime. It was just so heartbreaking to me. I felt like this murderer took away a very special part of my life.

I hope you have found peace John because you deserve it.

Do you think he was going for peace and love when he smacked his wife around? Or showing compassion when he abandoned one of his sons?

Yes, he was one of the most talented musicians of all time. But to paint him as a deity or imply that he is a better person than the rest of us - just because he wrote great songs and had an amazing voice - is just ludicrous.

What's utterly tragic about it all is Lennon finally seemed like, truly happy and at peace with himself for the first time in his life. He wasn't the angry young man anymore, wasn't the mega star Beatle, wasn't taking heroin just to cope with everything anymore, stopped railing against the government, society and everything and just seemed content and happy with everything in life for once, and then bang, he's gone.

He's right about the solo careers though.

No

What's utterly tragic about it all is Lennon finally seemed like, truly happy and at peace with himself for the first time in his life. He wasn't the angry young man anymore, wasn't the mega star Beatle, wasn't taking heroin just to cope with everything anymore, stopped railing against the government, society and everything and just seemed content and happy with everything in life for once, and then bang, he's gone.

His relationship with Julian improved slightly. I think Yoko took better care of him though.

At least John changed his ways and had a better relationship with Julian and his younger son Sean.

No man is perfect, but John tried to be a better man near the end of his life. That's all any of us can do.

John Lennon was human just like the rest of us, but at least he tried to be a better person and his music showed that to us all.

The Beatles were not a boy band. Their music and their style changed the music of the 60's. That was something amazing.

Very few bands can say that.

George Harrison had the best solo career of the Beatles

John - best solo career

Paul - most successful

George - best album

Ringo - most successful initially and best song with Photograph.

IMO of course.

Kind of nails it.

George came right out of the gate with All Things Must Pass. The BEST album post Beatles by any of them (IMO of course). Then stayed strong with the fantastic Concert For Bangladesh. Unfortunately, he could only fall from there. He didn't fail, but nothing even measured up close, and due to bad album deals, a lot of his records just went unheard. He did fine, but nothing beat ATMP.

Paul's solo stuff was never my cup of tea. Band On The Run is good, I never really got the hype of it all. I love Ram, I think McCartney is alright. Wings Over America is a live album I grew to really appreciate, and maybe his best thing solo. Other than that, he kind of lost me. I agree, he basically had the success, but his songs never hit me and I thought they were all so far below the Beatles bar of his past songs. His solo career was saved by his 1989 tour where he finally pulled it all together, and its the reason he's still so successful today.

John had an excellent underrated catalogue. Like George, very strong out of the gate with Plastic Ono Band. A hard hitting, introspective, and solid record that was maybe his best. Followed up with Imagine, another winner and I guess his "Band On The Run" in terms of success. Mind Games is a great underrated record, as is Walls And Bridges. With each record it got a little worse, but overall I don't think he has a solo album thats lower than a 7/10 which is impressive. He only got worse slightly. And ended strong with Double Fantasy, of which every one of his songs was a home run. If anything, that album is what makes his death so sad, because he'd finally found his music again and it was SO good. Not really fair because it was the shortest, but overall he had the best solo catalogue with no real stinkers.

Ringo, was Ringo. One incredible album in 73, up there with the best post-Beatles solo albums, but thats it. I guess Johnny Drama had it down pat, but I just figured I'd expand a bit.

• Like 1