The big stoner/space rock thread

st0n3r

Anyone heard the last DOWN record? I love that they brought back some of the old aggression, Steeple is beyond epic. I think a lot of DOWN's stuff is as strong as Pantera, obviously in a completely different way, I've never found Damageplan that appealing, Down is something magical.

They've pretty much been my favorite band for the last couple of years. That said I thought Down IV part 2 was their weakest effort yet. Have barely listened to it since it's release.

Anyone heard the last DOWN record? I love that they brought back some of the old aggression, Steeple is beyond epic. I think a lot of DOWN's stuff is as strong as Pantera, obviously in a completely different way, I've never found Damageplan that appealing, Down is something magical.

They've pretty much been my favorite band for the last couple of years. That said I thought Down IV part 2 was their weakest effort yet. Have barely listened to it since it's release.

I really dig it, We Knew Him Well is another highlight, I didn't know Phil could still sound that revved up.

• 2 weeks later...

He said in an interview he wanted to make a new album but everyone was so focused on other stuff he said he'd make a new redux album meanwhile, so he got the only other album he head left from Napalm records and remade it. He says he might have gone too far on this one and it's time to make new stuff now.

I just had time to listen to Cobras and fire (the mastermind redux)

It is great

It also featured Tim Cronin who was a member in the early days!

Dave really pushing it to the limit

I just hope a totally new record will pop up in 2017

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would vote Space Lord, honestly

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-monster-magnet-rock-star-wars/?trackback=tsmclip

What better way to become a “Space Lord” than with a “Rocket Girl,” right? Only this time, you’ve got to choose as Guns N’ Roses face Monster Magnet in the first round of our Rock Star Wars battle.

To try and fill our days between now and the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens movie, we’ve tracked down 32 space-themed classic rock songs and paired them off against each other in 16 first-round battles. The field will be halved every week based on your votes, until only the spaciest song in rock history remains standing.

“Rocket Queen,” from Guns N’ Roses’ 1987 debut album Appetite for Destruction combines a riff Slash wrote with Duff McKagan from a prior band they were in with future GNR member Steven Adler. That was combined with a lyric from Axl Rose about a key figure in the underground scene back then.

Meanwhile, “Space Lord” became Monster Magnet’s breakout single in 1998, thanks in part to the psychedelic rock song’s distinctive video from director Joseph Kahn. (Attentive viewers will notice an homage to Metallica‘s clip for “Enter Sandman.) “Space Lord peaked at No. 3 on Billboard’s mainstream rock charts and at No. 29 on the alternative list.

So, which of these songs will emerge victorious from this round? It’s your choice. You can listen to both tracks below, and vote once per hour in each of the this round’s Rock Star Wars battles until polls close on Nov. 23 at 11:59PM ET. Your choice for our Rock Star Wars champion will be revealed on Dec. 22, 2015.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...