The big stoner/space rock thread

st0n3r

hard as fuck to find any acid bath songs on youtube but I guess they're doom/stoner metal. their 2 albums "when the kite string pops" and paegan terrorism tactics are some of my favorites from the mid 90s

their post break up shit "agents of oblivion" is more psychedelic/blues rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhz4s1TJ5rM

Edited by spliff
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

This topic died. :max:

Anyone heard the latest from Monster Magnet (Milking the stars)? I think it's quite interesting. Seeing them live in about a month and they will play it there. I wonder if they will manage to bring it live as good as it sounds on album.

Bought on Vinyl a month ago or so. Excellent album. Love the new version, especially the new The Duke. It's better than the original.

Hmm, I wouldn't call any song 'better', but definitely not worse. Love what they did with this album. I'm just a bit afraid it won't sound as good live as the 'original' last patrol. Album sounded amazing. (BTW, the two live tracks on milking the stars are from the concert that I attended :) ).

• Like 1

Bought on Vinyl a month ago or so. Excellent album. Love the new version, especially the new The Duke. It's better than the original.

Hmm, I wouldn't call any song 'better', but definitely not worse. Love what they did with this album. I'm just a bit afraid it won't sound as good live as the 'original' last patrol. Album sounded amazing. (BTW, the two live tracks on milking the stars are from the concert that I attended :) ).

Yeah, after the new version I barely listen to the original anymore, unless I'm listening to the full album. But which songs are you referring to when you say you're "afraid"? My guess is they won't play songs like Let The Circus Burn and No Paradise For Me, at least not the way it's on the album. Let The Circus burn could be the intro like a playback maybe, but that's it. I'm wondering how Mindless Ones '68 is gonna sound. I'm sure the new Duke and Milking The Stars are gonna be sweet though.

Yeah, after the new version I barely listen to the original anymore, unless I'm listening to the full album. But which songs are you referring to when you say you're "afraid"? My guess is they won't play songs like Let The Circus Burn and No Paradise For Me, at least not the way it's on the album. Let The Circus burn could be the intro like a playback maybe, but that's it. I'm wondering how Mindless Ones '68 is gonna sound. I'm sure the new Duke and Milking The Stars are gonna be sweet though.

Well, Mindless Ones '68 is one of the songs I'm not so sure about. Last Patrol (the whole album) sounded even better live than on album, so there's that.

Edited by st0n3r

Was just listening to some Tame Impala last night.

They would qualify, yes?

They do, although they are more 'poppy' than most of the bands posted here, which are more 'rock'. :)

If you like them, you should also like the song 'The Duke' Cosmonaut was talking about. Amazing song. Very chill and heavy at the same time. :)

Also, for old times' sake and to keep this thread going: two of monster magnet's best songs ever:

Edited by st0n3r

Man I almost forgot! By ONE day I missed a Truckfighters concert in sydney when I was there. And by a Weekend I missed what could have been THE concert of my life: my favorite band, Wolfmother, played an unexpected gig in a small record store in Byron Bay called Guitar Bazaar in which for the first time ever the played their latedt album from top to bottom and then signed albums and chatted with fans. The price? The price if the album. That they would sign later. Fuck me.

• 2 weeks later...

Orange Goblin ft. John Garcia

And next week Monster Magnet! Setlist seems nice (nice mix of old classics, some hits and quite a lot of Last Patrol). The youtube video's also show that they tend to play Last Patrol version of the songs instead of Milking the Stars versions. I don't mind either way. :)

I just noticed this band of all bands has not been mentioned yet in this thread. Shame on us.

False. I mentioned them. :P

Haha, I see now that you did. Sorry. :)

Anyone like Unida? Band with Garcia and Reeder. Saw them live last year. :)

Edited by st0n3r

Any good acoustic recommendations?

These are more prog than modren stoner rock but give them a listen.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23el8h_fresh-maggots-1971-full-album_music

And more pre-Monster Magnet goodness. early days when they were known as Dog Of Mystery

And a clip from Love Monster,.

Love Monster is an EP released by the band Monster Magnet, although all songs on the album were recorded by the lead singer, Dave Wyndorf, in 1988, a year before the band was formed. Only 3,000 copies of Love Monster were released, making it Monster Magnet's rarest material

I have all of this stuff to share since it's obviously not in print. PM me if interested.

Edited by Jabberwocky
  • Like 1

Rarest MM right now are the 2010 and 2011 tour 10" vinyl EPs, limited to 500 copies each, but the thing with love monster is, it's hard to find one in mint condition. Great material!

Yep. In fact I think most of what is on Love Monster could have easily been on Powertrip if it was beefed up. The reason I think Spine Of God is their quintessential is because of the experimentation that John McBain and Tim Cronin (Dog Of Mystery) provided. They were just greasy stoners crawling out of a stack of amps trying to figure their way out and succeeded.

I uploaded one of their (DOM) full demos here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGgpYbaEtIN904ApYCeQLmBPYBD-2Tpo1

Very different of what they became

Edited by Jabberwocky