The big stoner/space rock thread

st0n3r

On 16-2-2019 at 10:30 AM, CheapJon said:

Skraeckoedlan released what may be the album of the year, yesterday. It's fantastic. Amazing atmospheric, heavy ass riffs and beautiful harmonies.

Never heard of them. Gave it a listen and immediately ordered the vinyl! Thanks a bunch for the recommendation!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Stoner Rock, this should be right up my alley, someone gimme a reccomendation, whats the greatest fuckin' stoner rock album out there, whats the Sgt Peppers of Stoner Rock, I need to give this shit its day in court. 

Many possible answers. For me it's Superjudge by Monster Magnet. 

Most people would probably say Blues for the Red Sun by Kyuss.

• 1 month later...
On 18/02/2019 at 9:16 PM, st0n3r said:

Let us know what you think. The bands in this topic are quite varied. I'm quite sure you'll find something to like. But those two are a good starting point, imo.

I got round to listening to Superjudge.  It was pretty good y'know, heavy riffs, really loved the tone on the lead guitar work, the singer kinda lets it down a bit though, a bit by the numbers growley.  When I heard the name Stoner Rock I thought for some reason it'd be like heavy psychedlia, feels more like aggressive workout music.  Guitar work, the lead stuff, was the best thing about it to my mind. 

13 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I got round to listening to Superjudge.  It was pretty good y'know, heavy riffs, really loved the tone on the lead guitar work, the singer kinda lets it down a bit though, a bit by the numbers growley.  When I heard the name Stoner Rock I thought for some reason it'd be like heavy psychedlia, feels more like aggressive workout music.  Guitar work, the lead stuff, was the best thing about it to my mind. 

Maybe you should try this song called  "Dopesmoker’’. It tells the story of a caravan of ‘‘weed-priests’’ traveling across the ‘‘sand-sea’’ in search of the ‘‘riff-filled land’’ so as to fulfill their ‘‘desert legion smoke-covenant.’’ It's completely bonkers, 63min long, but considered a landmark in the genre. 

4 hours ago, st0n3r said:

Maybe you should try this song called  "Dopesmoker’’. It tells the story of a caravan of ‘‘weed-priests’’ traveling across the ‘‘sand-sea’’ in search of the ‘‘riff-filled land’’ so as to fulfill their ‘‘desert legion smoke-covenant.’’ It's completely bonkers, 63min long, but considered a landmark in the genre. 

This sounds more my cup of tea, thank you, I'll have to check it out.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:34 AM, Len Cnut said:

Superjudge is good but Spine Of God is sooo much better. The guitar tone was different because they had a different lead guitarist named John McBain. His playing was more subdued instead of all fiery in your face. The thing with Monster Magnet is who they were influenced by. Yeah they liked psychedelic stuff like Blue Cheer but also liked early Hawkwind and The Stooges. I think that accounts for the aggressive nature. My favorite line from an interview they did back in the early 90's was "everybody wants Woodstock...we want Altamont.

I can dig stoner rock but not while I'm high as fuck. I'd rather throw on some funk or electronic records and just chill out. Just riding a groove instead of being banged upside of the head with loud guitars.

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 1:10 AM, Len Cnut said:

Stoner Rock, this should be right up my alley, someone gimme a reccomendation, whats the greatest fuckin' stoner rock album out there, whats the Sgt Peppers of Stoner Rock, I need to give this shit its day in court. 

Kyuss- Welcome To Sky Valley is considered THE stoner rock album. I would also recommend Fu Manchu- The Action Is Go...a lot of Stoner rock bands are generic Sabbath rip offs who overuse their fuzz pedals but theres  some awesome bands in the genre.

Edited by Silverburst80

• 4 weeks later...

@st0n3r and anybody else interested

Made this video the other day using a mix of Monster Magnet's songs Tab..., Nod Scene, and 25. Just wanted to experiment with some chroma key stuff I created and make it trippy as fuck. All of the rest of the details are in the description.

Edited by Jabberwocky

• 4 weeks later...