Slash Interview on Talk Is Jericho (evolving story of friendship with MJ)

Jordan Rose

http://podcastone.com/Talk-Is-Jericho

Scroll down to download.

Don't know if this was posted before but i'm bringing it up because I find it interesting how he's changed his stories regarding Michael Jackson over the years. Axl and Canter have both said that Slash will always say whatever makes him sound the coolest at any given time and this just proves it to me.

Back in 1993 MJ told Oprah that Slash was 'a very dear friend' of his and they both love animals and things. That was a big whopper on MJ's part because they were very casual acquaintances. MJ said 'hello' then left the studio when Slash recorded his parts for Dangerous in 1991. They played the MTV Awards together and Slash guested at a few MJ shows in 92-93. But they only saw eachother during rehearsals and didn't actually 'hang out'. Slash said as much and politely distanced himself from the 'very dear friend' comment.

But he's always been very respectful and complimentary of MJ and put him over big time as a talent.

They did a bunch more shows together in 99-01 and during the 03-05 allegations and trial Slash was casually supportive saying he 'never saw anything' and reaffirming that he liked him and thought he was a huge talent but not wanting to dwell on it.

Then MJ died and Slash's praise became effusive, and along with everybody else, he suddenly had a lot to say about their time together and how cool MJ was.

But in this Jericho interview Slash goes much further and says that they hung out all the time and MJ would call him and say 'Hey i'm playing this crazy town in Italy or wherever, i'll fly you out..' and talks at length about it.

I'm not knocking him for it but it seems pretty obvious that back when it wasn't so cool to talk about Michael, Slash just told the truth about how well he knew him wheras now he's dead and it's cool to be an MJ fan again he explicitly gives the impression that they were friends who hung out regularly.

Just an observation.

It's a cool interview. Lots of fun talk about horror movies and dinosaurs.

This passive aggressiveness makes MJ's embalming fluids boil.

First good use of the "boil" bullshit ever. Congrats.

Well, Axl also used to destroy Izzy on stage to look cool to the crowd and the band. And now they play together again and they are good friends again. People change.

This thread isn't about Axl or how Izzy used to badmouth Axl in interviews to make himself look cool. This thread is only another example of Slash being a poseur.

Slash was kind of in tough situation being in such a hard rock band sort of meant you weren't meant to hang out with pop stars?

Axl seemed to have this kind of take on Slashs bits on the side. Why are you playing with pop stars?

But it worked out long term because Slash is well known to the mainstream. But I think maybe that's why he downplayed it sometimes.

Home and Always on the Run were cool. Actually the Give in to me and Black n White were pretty cool.

Edited by wasted

I'm sure slash says he only played the intro on black and white and not the actual song on the Jericho interview? He also blames axl for them becoming alci's, he says that because he was always late an they planned to go on stage at 9 but didn't go on till 11/12 they just had to drink!

But a very good interview, I enjoyed both parts, well worth a listen

I don't recall MJ saying that about Slash in the 93 Oprah Winfrey interview

You're a bad MJ fan!

I think Slash was joining Michael on stage in the mid-late 90s and the MSG concert.

"I only knew him on a professional level", which is pretty consistent with what he's said in other interviews.

But not consistent with this one, which is my point. It's now cool to say you used to hang out with MJ all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a subject that interests me greatly - being a fan of both Slash and MJ.

His words on Talk is Jericho were the most I've ever heard Slash say about MJ. I sometimes think that for Slash "any way the wind blows" is where he will go... I've read stuff where he has been massively complimentary about MJ and other stuff where he sounds really hacked off.

What the truth is about how friendly they were... God knows. But Slash was involved in a few MJ recordings apart from 'Black or White' and 'Give Into Me'. He also plays on 'Morphine' from the Blood on the Dancefloor album and 'DS' from HIStory. There's some confuion as to whether he appeared on 'Privacy' (Invincible) as he is not credited but halfway through MJ shouts, "Slash!" before a great guitar solo.

:shades:

I don't recall MJ saying that about Slash in the 93 Oprah Winfrey interview

Yeah, he does say it. You can read a transcript online. MJ says something like "...Slash... he's a great friend of mine because we like animals, snakes..."