Vocals for new album, what should we expect?

I imagine Axl has a few options on what type of vocals to put on the new album.

Do we get old recorded vocals from 02?

Maybe he updated the unreleased songs with his 06 vocals...

He could have done some recording in 09-10?

If he records fresh vocals will they be closer to how he sings The Seeker, or will he go for that really deep rasp that to be honest has sounded very forced?

I think Fortus said Axl was recording vocals last week? Or did I misread that. If so it could mean fresh vocals, or like CD Axl might just be layering old vocals on top of each other.

I'm hoping for Seeker vocals if he's recording this year. The perfect scenario would be for the 06 vocals to show up on the album. We will never hear the voice from illusions or appetite..that voice is gone, but 06 could provide a close alternative.

Either way it will be interesting, what are you guys hoping for? If there is a new album in the works

He left IRS, Madagascar and Catcher intact between 1999 and 2008 because he sang them the way he wanted to at the time and had no reason to change them.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the 'high, piercing, screaming' vocals on The General.

But it bothers me that there will probably be many more songs like Twat and Prostitute that he'll almost never sing live because they're brutal.

Edited by Jordan Rose

I would expect incredibly processed vocals in the studio with a very forced and unnatural sounding rasp. I'm just be real to what I think but in my opinion his voice is finished. I didn't really like the way he sounded on CD except for maybe Better so..... I felt his voice was beyond processed and I think it would be even worse on a new album

Edited by Bono
  • Like 2

I wouldn't expect a new album. That was your first mistake.

This. There is no new album. Axl may record music but he'll never release it.

Of course there is a "new" album. It will be new to us anyway. To deny it's real and is going to come out is silly. You're silly maynard. He'll be late as usual, but he'll release it.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Very true. Axl Rose just loves to record music and hide it deep in his vault where it will never be heard and serve no purpose. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly nuts.

Of course there is a "new" album. It will be new to us anyway. To deny it's real and is going to come out is silly. You're silly maynard. He'll be late as usual, but he'll release it.

Of course there is "new music", it would be new to us anyway. To believe it's going to come out is silly. You're silly Rovim. He'll keep touring and playing his hits as usual, and will never release new music.

I like the vocals on CD, I'd like them even more if they were more natural, but still, Axl is one of my all time favourite singers, so I will like anything he puts out.

And also, the superposition of vocals in some way has helped me tolerating the wait for the new album. Just yesterday I found some really high piercing screams at the very end of Sorry, thank to the multitracks, and there are plenty of interesting stuff

Edited by BreakDown2014

Of course there is "new music", it would be new to us anyway. To believe it's going to come out is silly. You're silly Rovim. He'll keep touring and playing his hits as usual, and will never release new music.

You're a poo poo head chinese 2 will rock you like a hurricane. Again.

Anyone who says otherwise is clearly nuts.

Shit... can't say shit to you now. Bulletproof argument you've got there. I'm clearly insane.

Edited by Rovim

Maybe we should start off by not expecting a new album. Or not even an album of re-hashed old material.

Nah, expect away. It will happen, it just won't be tied to a normal time frame or plan, but considering Axl actually wants to do it and has expressed his desire to release CD ll, and talked about it's status (done) and his intentions (look seriously into it, getting it out)

It's safe to expect a new album. Fuck...it's only natural after 6 years of waiting. Axl you asshole. (im sorry i love u xD)

Expect the unacceptable. Ginger magic powder.

Edited by Rovim

He left IRS, Madagascar and Catcher intact between 1999 and 2008 because he sang them the way he wanted to at the time and had no reason to change them.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the 'high, piercing, screaming' vocals on The General.

But it bothers me that there will probably be many more songs like Twat and Prostitute that he'll almost never sing live because they're brutal.

Madagascar vocals were recorded in 2006

Richard Abowitz of the Los Angeles Times reports: Next month will mark two years since audio engineer Mark Gray, 31, dropped by the studio at the Palms to say goodbye to his co-workers before departing for a vacation. His boss asked him if he would be willing to come back early to do some just-booked sessions. "I went from 'no way,'" he recalls, "to changing my plane ticket right away." All it took to change his mind is what the sessions were for recording. And, on Dec. 27, 2006, Gray found himself one of the many engineers to be connected to the legendary GUNS N' ROSES disc "Chinese Democracy".

Axl Rose arrived at the Palms Studio inside the resort and worked for 13 days in 2006 on his vocals for the finally released disc. Gray recalls a list of 14 songs (the same number as on the released version) many with working titles. Among those Rose worked on at Palms Studio he is sure are on the disc are "Chinese Democracy", "Madagascar" and "Prostitute".

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-engineer-talks-about-recording-process-for-chinese-democracy/#Lldh8TDtYxzftD8v.99

I think there's indeed an album coming out.... he posted a picture of the studio and that in Axl terms like a huge big fuckin' deal... really.

As for expecting vocals, I expect amazing shit of course because he's amazing and if he recorded new stuff in the past weeks makes me wonder if that was for songs recently written. It'd be nice to listen to material he's written this year or somewhat recent.

I'm ok with anything he puts out because I just love it all. Even the Rapidfire crap. :lol:

Edited by tinyrobot

I think we can expect vocals in the style of CD... I like the CD voice though! so I guess I do't mind. His CD voice is quite different to the illusions Axl, but the Illusions Axl was quite different to the Appetite Axl. His voice has changed a lot throughout the years. What I really want is for Axl to sing some great rock songs, I love the sweeping ballads but I think a new gnr album should have a bit more of a focus on hard rock as well as a few ballads/power ballads.

If he records fresh vocals will they be closer to how he sings The Seeker, or will he go for that really deep rasp that to be honest has sounded very forced?

I think Fortus said Axl was recording vocals last week? Or did I misread that. If so it could mean fresh vocals, or like CD Axl might just be layering old vocals on top of each other.

I'm hoping for Seeker vocals if he's recording this year. The perfect scenario would be for the 06 vocals to show up on the album. We will never hear the voice from illusions or appetite..that voice is gone, but 06 could provide a close alternative.

Either way it will be interesting, what are you guys hoping for? If there is a new album in the works

I'll tell you what you shouldn't expect - a new album.

I'll tell you what you shouldn't expect - a new album.

Some people think that not expecting a new album is being "silly". Yep, you read it right. Not expecting a new album from Axl Rose is considered silly by some.

Richard Abowitz of the Los Angeles Times reports: Next month will mark two years since audio engineer Mark Gray, 31, dropped by the studio at the Palms to say goodbye to his co-workers before departing for a vacation. His boss asked him if he would be willing to come back early to do some just-booked sessions. "I went from 'no way,'" he recalls, "to changing my plane ticket right away." All it took to change his mind is what the sessions were for recording. And, on Dec. 27, 2006, Gray found himself one of the many engineers to be connected to the legendary GUNS N' ROSES disc "Chinese Democracy".

Axl Rose arrived at the Palms Studio inside the resort and worked for 13 days in 2006 on his vocals for the finally released disc. Gray recalls a list of 14 songs (the same number as on the released version) many with working titles. Among those Rose worked on at Palms Studio he is sure are on the disc are "Chinese Democracy", "Madagascar" and "Prostitute".

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-engineer-talks-about-recording-process-for-chinese-democracy/#Lldh8TDtYxzftD8v.99

No.

Pitman told the specific story of Axl recording the lead vocal in 1999. It's the exact same vocal you can hear in the Boston 2002 promo. In 2006 he probably worked on backgrounds. The Blues vocals were also done by 2002 and can be heard in the Boston clip but, like the live version, he hadn't finished the lyrics for the final part. He added 'What'd I tell you...One more failure' etc in 2006. You can hear the transition quite clearly, especially on the isolated audio stems.

It says he 'worked on' those titles. You really think he hadn't laid down vocals for the title track until December 2006?! Prostitute is a Bucket song and he'd left in 2004!

Boston 2002 promo:

Edited by Jordan Rose
  • Like 1

I think Madagascar was done by '00, you can hear clips on the CD 2002 promos, and Beavan said most of the tracks he worked with Axl on, the vocals were exactly the same on the album as they were back in '99/'00. CD, though, I can see him adding the raspy vocals in 2006.

Hah, Jordan Rose saved me the time to find the YT link.