Horrific mass murder in Peshawar, Pakistan

SoulMonster

This sounds so horrific that it doesn't seem real, I'm so far removed from it that I can't conceive of how terrible it must be at the scene.

I still wouldn't lay the blame for this at the door of the religious doctrine itself, blaming "Islam" or "Muslims" is cheap, lazy and doesn't acknowledge the real root of the problem. Most religions (except perhaps Buddhism) could lead, and have led to atrocities as bad as this and worse. Christianity in Uganda, where homosexuals are outed, hunted and murdered with assistance from the state, is probably every bit as barbarous as Islam in Afghanistan or Pakistan, the problem lies within a patriarchical society with low levels of socioeconomic development relying on religion to fill a gap which should be occupied by education. If we had an example of an "Islamic" country where resource distribution and access to education were as high as in any of the "Christian" countries at the top end of the inequality-adjusted Human Development Index then I think it would be as moderate and as functional as most "Western" nations. The problem is, we don't have examples of Islamic countries like that, even places like Qatar, the UAE or Brunei-Darussalem have tremendous amounts of wealth but it's all in the hands of a tiny proportion of the population, keeping the rest impoverished and ill-informed which is a fertile soil for fundamentalism.

Extremism is a disease.

No religion preaches moderation. Sometimes it's current leaders will, but it's doctrine always mandates extremism.

Absolute garbage.

Which religious book preaches moderation?

Too many to name. Graeco-Romano polytheism was syncretic which inherently contains a spirit of religious co-existence. Buddhism proliferated into multiple beliefs, most of which co-existed and even traded sutras among each other. Post-Reformation era Christianity has developed many moderating influences. Islam historically actually co-existed among other religions under the Caliphate and the Ottomans.

Extremism is a disease.

No religion preaches moderation. Sometimes it's current leaders will, but it's doctrine always mandates extremism.

Absolute garbage.

Too many to name. Graeco-Romano polytheism was syncretic which inherently contains a spirit of religious co-existence. Buddhism proliferated into multiple beliefs, most of which co-existed and even traded sutras among each other. Post-Reformation era Christianity has developed many moderating influences. Islam historically actually co-existed among other religions under the Caliphate and the Ottomans.

I'll concede my statement may have been too broad. I'm not talking what the leaders of the Church, or even the vast majority of it's followers believe and are preaching, so the Christian religion's influences or Islam's peaceful history do nothing to negate my point. I should have said "official text" instead of doctrine. I'm talking about what the Holy Bible, Quran and other books teach. The official texts don't preach moderation, so regardless of what the official "church" of whatever time period teaches, there will always be the potential for a revival of extremism or "fundamentalism".

Extremism is a disease.

Absolute garbage.

I'll concede my statement may have been too broad. I'm not talking what the leaders of the Church, or even the vast majority of it's followers believe and are preaching, so the Christian religion's influences or Islam's peaceful history do nothing to negate my point. I should have said "official text" instead of doctrine. I'm talking about what the Holy Bible, Quran and other books teach. The official texts don't preach moderation, so regardless of what the official "church" of whatever time period teaches, there will always be the potential for a revival of extremism or "fundamentalism".

If, by moderation, you mean religious toleration, the following texts apply?

"Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt''

Exodus 22:21

In the first year of King Cyrus, Cyrus the king issued a decree: "Concerning the house of God at Jerusalem, let the temple, the place where sacrifices are offered, be rebuilt and let its foundations be retained, its height being 60 cubits and its width 60 cubits; with three layers of huge stones and one layer of timbers. And let the cost be paid from the royal treasury. Also let the gold and silver utensils of the house of God, which Nebuchadnezzar took from the temple in Jerusalem and brought to Babylon, be returned and brought to their places in the temple in Jerusalem; and you shall put them in the house of God."

Ezra 6:3–5

"the church should let dissent grow with orthodoxy until the Lord comes to separate and judge them"

Matthew 13: 24-30

The beloved of the gods, King Piyadasi, honors both ascetics and the householders of all religions, and he honors them with gifts and honors of various kinds. But the beloved of the gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values this - that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions. Growth in essentials can be done in different ways, but all of them have as their root restraint in speech, that is, not praising one's own religion, or condemning the religion of others without good cause. And if there is cause for criticism, it should be done in a mild way. But it is better to honor other religions for this reason. By so doing, one's own religion benefits, and so do other religions, while doing otherwise harms one's own religion and the religions of others. Whoever praises his own religion, due to excessive devotion, and condemns others with the thought "Let me glorify my own religion," only harms his own religion. Therefore contact between religions is good. One should listen to and respect the doctrines professed by others. The beloved of the gods, king Piyadasi, desires that all should be well-learned in the good doctrines of other religions.

Those who are content with their own religion should be told this: the beloved of the gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions. And to this end many are working - dhamma Mahamatras, Mahamatras in charge of the women's quarters, officers in charge of outlying areas, and other such officers. And the fruit of this is that one's own religion grows and the dhamma is illuminated also.

The Edicts of Ashoka (Buddhism)

Christianity doesn't preach moderation or tolerance? :lol:

The Golden Rule of Jesus Christ, maybe? "Love Thy Neighbor as Yourself" - Mark, 12:31

That is the epitome of tolerance and moderation.

Jesus was a nice guy by all accounts but God was a fuckin' psycho!
  • Like 2