The Festival Thread

blablabla123

I've gone to at least one festival every year for the last 5 years or so. I've been to:

Sonisphere Stockholm 2010

Heavy TO 2011

Rock On The Range 2012

Amnesia Rockfest 2013

Governors Ball 2013

The Battle Of San Bernardino 2013

Bravalla Festival 2014

Sonisphere Knebworth 2014

Heavy MTL 2014

The Sonispheres and Heavy MTL were the best. Rockfest and Bravalla were the worst.

I think for me, if there is one festival, where I do not mind traveling out of the country for, it would be the Download Festival in the UK, because a lot of the bands I follow and know always plays there, so I'm sure there's bound to be something for me to watch even if the line-up may not be up to snuff.

The 2015 line-up is all right so far. A good mixture of genres of bands, spanning a lot of generations of rock.

http://d3t8sfqb28m9ma.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/download-poster.jpg

Edited by Anguyen92

^^ Yeah, I understand that and all, but there is the best festival, and then there's the festival where I want to be an environment where I feel the most comfortable in, and I think Download does just that better than Glastonbury from what I've read and heard, etc.

Not knocking on Glastonbury, of course. It's a big-time festival that gets big-time live stream exposure on the BBC and rightfully so. You can't beat that.

Edited by Anguyen92

^^ Yeah, I understand that and all, but there is the best festival, and then there's the festival where I want to be an environment where I feel the most comfortable in, and I think Download does just that better than Glastonbury from what I've read and heard, etc.

Not knocking on Glastonbury, of course. It's a big-time festival that gets big-time live stream exposure on the BBC and rightfully so. You can't beat that.

The thing that Glasto has that the other festivals don't is no segregation of the campsites from the stages. There's no fences around the arenas that stop you taking your own booze in and you don't get kicked out after the main stages close. It all keeps going 24 hours for five days which is pretty amazing.

I hate festivals. You pay £300 for the privilege of spending a considerable time in mud and shit. You never really get near the stage and if you do, you are surrounded by sweaty horrible people. There is no where to sit. You are sort of expected (by your peers) to see bands for three nights running (most of which are shit) when all you want to do really is go home and watch Coronation Street. You have to live in a tent. The beer is overpriced. You have to get buses and trains there - it is never simple to travel. And worse still, now this is a middle class thing - fuckin' Ed Sheeran and Kate Moss in a pair of designer wellies with a glass of Pimms going ''look at us, we are in the VIP section - Plebs''. At least when it was a freebie, it had some pretension of the hippy ideal - dropping out, peace, (however vacuous). Now it is a question of getting your Visa out.

It is horrible.