Slash's Wife Gets Him A One Of A Kind Birthday Present

KeyserSoze

"A Comox Valley guitar maker, with just seven years of experience, nabbed a huge client for one of his custom-made creations — Slash.

Luthier Reuben Forsland, 41, says he’s blown away that the former lead guitarist for Guns N’ Roses chose him out of eight luthiers from around North America, many of whom have 30 to 40 years of experience.
“I was really excited,” the owner of JOI Guitars says with a grin. “To be this young ... and also this short into (my) career, this is really a good thing ... this is opportunity ... who knows what can happen.”

The guitar is a birthday present to Slash from his wife Perla Ferrar. The choice of who would make the six-string acoustic guitar was narrowed down to luthiers who could offer a very rare kind of Honduran mahogany; Forsland was one of just eight in North America.

“It’s very, very good sounding,” says Forsland. “It’s one-of-a-kind.”

The wood certainly is one-of-a-kind as it comes from one particular tree, which was cut down in 1965 in a Honduran jungle. The tree fell into a deep ravine and stayed there until the early 1980s, when it was quartered then removed. Most of the tree was made into furniture but, because the sound is exceptional, the furniture is re-used for instruments; the piece used in the body of the guitar Forsland is making used to be a table."

Full Interview/news report here: http://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/news/283243871.html

progress on the guitar back from November: http://joiguitars.com/slash-guitar/

10407101_10152492020666921_8335122920558

A present to Slash or from Slash?

My guess is, the present is for Slash, probably paid for by Slash's cash. Chosen by Purla.

Given it's shape, I guess it was no surprise at all. Similar to receiving a Toblerone bar, but a bit more expensive.

Edited by star

• 1 year later...