Rock in rio 91 in HD

brn

You know HD... wasn't... well it didn't really exist in 1991... right?

It certainly did not. But the resolution of film is more than enough to get a 1080p transfer out of. If I recall, the 70mm film that Spartacus is shot on could give you a 2160p (4k) transfer. So anything shot on film in any time, ever, can benefit from an HD transfer. So if this person got ahold of the film that RIRII was shot on, yes, there could be an HD version. What is more likely, is that someone just upconverted the resolution of a 480i signal on their computer and uploaded it to youtube.

• Like 2

It certainly did not. But the resolution of film is more than enough to get a 1080p transfer out of. If I recall, the 70mm film that Spartacus is shot on could give you a 2160p (4k) transfer. So anything shot on film in any time, ever, can benefit from an HD transfer. So if this person got ahold of the film that RIRII was shot on, yes, there could be an HD version. What is more likely, is that someone just upconverted the resolution of a 480i signal on their computer and uploaded it to youtube.

Oh I know, it's been done to TV shows like Friends and I'd love to see any/all proshot Guns concerts remastered. It wouldn't be 2014 quality but it would be awesome still. Sadly no-one bothers..

It would be 2014 quality. No one bothers because the only person that would have the film capable of a transfer would be Axl

Oh I know, it's been done to TV shows like Friends and I'd love to see any/all proshot Guns concerts remastered. It wouldn't be 2014 quality but it would be awesome still. Sadly no-one bothers..

It would be 2014 quality. No one bothers because the only person that would have the film capable of a transfer would be Axl

Unless camera technology hasn't advanced in 25 years I don't see how it would be..

It isn't the camera, it's the film. And that doesn't matter. Like I said, spartacus could give you a 4k master and that was shot in the 60's, Indiana Jones is one of the best looking movies on Blu ray, and it was shot in 89. As long as you have film, (35mm) you have stock for a 1080p transfer.

Unless camera technology hasn't advanced in 25 years I don't see how it would be..

It isn't the camera, it's the film. And that doesn't matter. Like I said, spartacus could give you a 4k master and that was shot in the 60's, Indiana Jones is one of the best looking movies on Blu ray, and it was shot in 89. As long as you have film, (35mm) you have stock for a 1080p transfer.

But it still wouldn't be 2014 quality, it wouldn't be AFD 1080p quality. It would technically be 1080p in resolution though, yes.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
13 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I've been looking for footage of them playing Bad Apples at this gig, is it right there's none? Does it even exist, or just audio? Even the audio has that annoying host interrupting

No, there's no footage of that, the tv broadcast stopped after Civil War. Globo TV may still have the footage, but they won't likely liberate it. The only audio source that exists is from the fm broadcast (the one with the host talking)

20 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

One of the cameramen from Rio saved the physical tape from the camera he was manning and transferred it - probably the best quality you'll see from the event:

In reallity we have 2 cameraman tapes, the Slash's cam [authored as UncleT, It also has soundboard auudio, but it wasn't properly recorded, so it is a bit clipped] and Axl's cam [authored by Limulus, it has the audio from the camera's mic, unfortunately, it was next to the bass monitor, so you can barely hear anything, but it also contains the tv broadcast audio]. Unfortunately, both of them are incomplete (wonder why).

Edited by fanfzero
  • Like 1

Is this coming up as an issue again? If it's a direct tape transfer, you will get 240p. That's the maximum possible for the technology. If it was filmed (unlikely) THEN you could get a 720, maybe 1080 transfer (you probably won't).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

Is this coming up as an issue again? If it's a direct tape transfer, you will get 240p. That's the maximum possible for the technology. If it was filmed (unlikely) THEN you could get a 720, maybe 1080 transfer (you probably won't).

Incorrect - VHS resolution if 240p, but standard definition videotape is 480p

The Slash cam footage above was from the 480p master