The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

8 hours ago, wasted said:

I'm not sure it is the only one. Harbin often partners with NBA and WC. But my guess would be it was the first western style beer to be made in China. The brewery in Qingdao was built by Germans. So it's the one Beijing push. 

Theres no point in buying Bud in china bcos Suntory (blue) and Harbin are so close. Suntory is japanese comp i think. Thats 15rmb for 4 x 500 ml cans. But bud isnt exactly expensive 3 x 600ml bottles for 20rmb. 

Asahi silver can is better quailty and 4.3% or something. 

But actually craft beer just hit Shanghai. So there are a lot of Belgium beer bars like Kaiba. But expect to pay 38rmb a glass. 

Also if you go in a Lianhua supermarket theres a lot of imported German beers. Wheatbeer etc. 10-20 rmb. 

If you want cheap drinks go to Windows bars. They are like a chain. 25rmb a pint. Some do all day happy hours. 2-for-1. Basic sports bars with rock music. Draft Tiger and Bud is good option. Also food is cheap here if not luxurious. 30rmb pizza is hard to beat. If you see a Yang's Fry Dumplings try that. 6 dumplings for 12rmb. Say "liu ge" - 6. Jiaozi. 

www.smartshanghai.com

this site is good cos it gives you addresses in chinese , show it to taxi driver. To stop say zhelli - "Jelly"

Taxis are cheap at 15 rmb. Subway or Metro is 4 rmb a ride. You can get a travel card from the office in the stations 20rmb deposit/30rmb charge. Say "Ka"

if you cheap electronics and bootleg stuff go to Nanjing xi lu /Chengdu lu - theres a big fake dept store. Don't go with randon guys do sidestreets they will rip you off. 

Also don't stop to take pictures with girls they are hookers who are hard to get rid of. 

"Bu yao" - don't want - say that a lot. 

I'm impressed sir; legacy of the Kaiser's short-lived (foreign) Second Reich no less. The Japanese besieged and ultimately occupied the city in 1914, the Japanese being on the side of the allies during The Great War. The Germans however left behind their legacy thus giving the Chinese beer!

Tsingdao is the only one that tastes like bootleg Heineken. There's Taingdao Dark now which is a Guinness copy. Actually not bad. 

Snow is one to check out as it's the best selling beer in the world. But it's almost too much like water  for me. 

Reeb is the Shanghai beer but I haven't seen it much. 

Lianhua has a lot of random microbrewery beer from Germany. 

China has gone Craft beer crazy. I think there's a place called Mr. Beer on Fumin lu and there's a chain called Kaiba. 

Hengshan lu and Dongping lu is a bar area. Sasha's is a post colonial mansion of some mistress. And there's a Beatles Theme bar, Abbey Road with beer garden. And of course Beavers. Also a new one Shanghai Brewery. Probably all serve somekind of Belgium beer at this point. 

Edited by wasted
Typo
  • Like 1

Last time I was on a Stella binge - ten pints +, losing count thereafter - my legs became drunk. What I mean to say is my head was perfectly lucid but my legs could not be coordinated the way I wanted them to; I could have passed a three hour history exam, yet couldn't stand let alone walk! It was the weirdest drinking experience of my life. In the end I had to ring somebody to come and collect me.

Do not think I've touched the wife-beater since.

On April 17, 2016 at 9:39 PM, wasted said:

Tsingdao is the only one that tastes like bootleg Heineken. There's Taingdao Dark now which is a Guinness copy. Actually not bad. 

Snow is one to check out as it's the best selling beer in the world. But it's almost too much like water  for me. 

Reeb is the Shanghai beer but I haven't seen it much. 

Lianhua has a lot of random microbrewery beer from Germany. 

China has gone Craft beer crazy. I think there's a place called Mr. Beer on Fumin lu and there's a chain called Kaiba. 

Hengshan lu and Dongping lu is a bar area. Sasha's is a post colonial mansion of some mistress. And there's a Beatles Theme bar, Abbey Road with beer garden. And of course Beavers. Also a new one Shanghai Brewery. Probably all serve somekind of Belgium beer at this point. 

Awesome, all on my list to check out. 

So so are you in Shanghai? It'd be cool to meet up if possible. 

4 minutes ago, darknightfan said:

Could you plz elaborate? I am incapable of understanding right now.

I can not discern the diff-er-ence dear :lol:. Fuckin lightweight yanks, im on my 9th pint of Stella and i feel vital!

Edited by Len B'stard

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Awesome, all on my list to check out. 

So so are you in Shanghai? It'd be cool to meet up if possible. 

some relatives are here right now and we are moving apartments on May 1. But I might be free around 28-29 this month. 

Shanghai Brewery is a microbrewery. It's close to Hengshan lu metro station. Line 1. It's pretty big and obvious. 

Also there's House of Blues and Jazz near the Bund. There's pretty good Terrace rooftop in the Peninsula hotel on Bund. 75rmb a beer though. Good for lights at night. 

13 hours ago, wasted said:

some relatives are here right now and we are moving apartments on May 1. But I might be free around 28-29 this month. 

Shanghai Brewery is a microbrewery. It's close to Hengshan lu metro station. Line 1. It's pretty big and obvious. 

Also there's House of Blues and Jazz near the Bund. There's pretty good Terrace rooftop in the Peninsula hotel on Bund. 75rmb a beer though. Good for lights at night. 

Ah, we head back to Beijing the evening of the 27th :( Too bad, but I'll definitely check out some of the places and beers you've mentioned. 

Seems like I am Charlie Sheen after all. 

No that sucks Im going crazy having to pretend to be normal. As soon as family go I'm going on a drinking binge. 

I'd go to Windows Garage on Nanjingxi lu for all day happy hour. Then go Hengshan lu, Shanghai Brewery for fancy beer maybe check out Glo London terrace if it's sunny. Weather is kind of f'd at moment. It's rainy, sunny, cloudy bullshit right now. 

On 20 April 2016 at 3:23 AM, wasted said:

The word 'bund' in urdu means arsecrack.  Pointless trivia of the day, always a pleasure!