The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

The sing song bit went out after the 50s but that was a thing, yeah.  I suppose in them days there was a lot less to do, telly with only two channels (right up until the 70s), 8 hours at work and then...well, jack shit really :lol:. Bingo for the old blue hairs, literally jack shit going on.  I mean theres always been clubs but you cant go clubbin' every day and not everyones age appropriate for the club.

Sing song!

Any time you're Lambeth way, any evening, any day, you'll find us all......doin' the Lambeth Walk!

There are a few essential ingredients that make a good pub.

1. It's got to have a solid name for a start. Not like clubs which are called Fabric or Breeze. My local is called The Picton Arms. Nuff said.

2. Got to have a pool table with its own complex set of rules. New rules is it son? Do you go for 2 shots on the black? Nominate a pocket? I've seen grown men square up to each other during a game of killer over whether or not a ball had to go down off the break.

3. A couple of regular day drinkers. Old Boys who go in for a read of the paper and a few jars at 11am. You don't realise they are pissed until you get into a convo with one in the bogs and the old duffer just looks at you with a red face just grinning like a spaz.

4. Nowadays it needs some kind of beer garden or even a yard will do so you can have a fag.

I do like a pub dog aswell who laps up the beer when you slosh a bit on the floor for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Confuse americans why don't you?

actually that one does not confuse this American. i have known it means a cigarette there for years. what did confuse me was for the longest time i did not know the word bloody was a curse word. i was reading a book and the mom was chewing out the daughter for using a curse word in front of the bishop. i read and reread the passage looking for a damn or a hell or something! eventually it did sink it that she used the word bloody and that was considered a curse word!

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

6 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

wait! you have pubs that let dogs in?? that is so cool! 

Even better than that, the dog is normally owned by the person running the bar so he is sort of like part of the pub. Just wandering around the place taking snacks off the drinkers :lol: pub dogs are the happiest dogs in the world.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

actually that one does not confuse this American. i have known it means a cigarette there for years. what did confuse me was for the longest time i did not know the word bloody was a curse word. i was reading a book and the mom was chewing out the daughter for using a curse word in front of the bishop. i read and reread the passage looking for a damn or a hell or something! eventually it did sink it that she used the word bloody and that was considered a curse word!

Its a curse word but not really.  It was in the 60s and prior or something.  Kinda like how hell is a curse word or was a curse word in America back in the day.  Hell and damn.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

Even better than that, the dog is normally owned by the person running the bar so he is sort of like part of the pub. Just wandering around the place taking snacks off the drinkers :lol: pub dogs are the happiest dogs in the world.

that is so cool! and i am sure the pub dogs are very happy, mine would be over the moon if he were a pub dog :lol: would love if we had that kind of thing here :) 

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Its a curse word but not really.  It was in the 60s and prior or something.  Kinda like how hell is a curse word or was a curse word in America back in the day.  Hell and damn.

yeah this was an old romance novel i read when i was maybe 10. why was it considered a curse word? always wondered that. some people here still consider hell and damn curse words, on a couple of channels they bleep them even! some here are still very puritanical.

• 2 weeks later...

Bockbeer walk last Saturday. Sevenm bars, seven bock beers, seven snacks, and then some. Great fun! ^_^

14520485_10153896362610924_8054461064287

Texel's Bock and tomato soup @ Klikspaan 

14492313_10153896405715924_5556778884927

Berend Bockje, a colaboration between Rockin Ludina and Martinus breweries with some brie and caramelized pear as well as dades and goat cheese @ Martinus 

14519751_10153896517025924_5742894557230 

Matured Momerite smoke bock from 2014 with onion soup @ De Toeter 

14517554_10153896564780924_3348825885938 

Maximus Bok 7 with mashed potatoes with endive and bacon @ Heerenhuis 

14469673_10153896677185924_5754908023522 

Bax Bock with mushroom brushetta @ Koffer 

14479817_10153896768590924_8566736849259 

Jopenbock with hotchpotch and meat stew @ Koetshuys 

14520361_10153896897900924_2440224519336

La Trappe Bock with hotdogs (sort of) @ Pintelier 

14450019_10153896909890924_3400583294290 

Edited by username

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Yknow ive never tried a flavoured spirit before, whats it like?  Is the flavour strong or is it just like a 'hint of' kinda thing?

In my experience most are a total overkill. It's just brought back in ABV (losing a lot of natural flavor from the spirit and the cask) and then they add what I can only assume is basically artificial candy-flavouring. The only one that comes to mind that has some form of subtlety is Drambuie. And even that is sweet enough to lose a few teeth on. Not for a night of drinking, but it can be nice after dinner accompanied by a good espresso. Kind of like Grand Marnier or Cointreau.

But the honey-versions of Jim Beam or Jack Daniels for example have the subtlety and finesse of being on the receiving end of a double-barreled shotgun. And the likability to match. 

9 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Yknow ive never tried a flavoured spirit before, whats it like?  Is the flavour strong or is it just like a 'hint of' kinda thing?

I've tried others that were "a hint of" kind of thing. This is more of an "in your face" deal. It's really good though IMO.