The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

1 hour ago, arnold layne said:

Well there was this specific time at LSU when I was 'throwing up stuff that shouldn't have been thrown up.'

There's a semen joke in there somewhere but I'm not going to lower myself. :D

9 hours ago, arnold layne said:

Well there was this specific time at LSU when I was 'throwing up stuff that shouldn't have been thrown up.'

Probably doesn't help either. 

Took a month off and got my blood work done today. See what happens. 

Weird because from your posts you serm to drink light beer or craft beers. You aren't downing bottles of wine or spirits. 

1 hour ago, arnold layne said:

My liver enzymes are back to normal so these past few beers have been liberating.

Taking a break from the Prozac.  

Really happy to hear the good news about your liver enzymes!  Way to go!

• Like 1

So it was anti depressants that messed up the enzyme levels? I'll drink to denying alcohol is bad for you. Everyone knows it's the cornerstone of a healthy lifestyle. 9 times out 10 a beer is a better option than food. 

On 7/6/2017 at 9:50 PM, wasted said:

So it was anti depressants that messed up the enzyme levels? I'll drink to denying alcohol is bad for you. Everyone knows it's the cornerstone of a healthy lifestyle. 9 times out 10 a beer is a better option than food. 

No. 

It seems I can either take pills or take the booze.

There was a time where I didn't take Prozac and drank daily, my liver was fine. 

Then I took Prozac daily and never drank. My liver was fine too, and actually healed itself. 

I can't do both though. 

3 hours ago, arnold layne said:

No. 

It seems I can either take pills or take the booze.

There was a time where I didn't take Prozac and drank daily, my liver was fine. 

Then I took Prozac daily and never drank. My liver was fine too, and actually healed itself. 

I can't do both though. 

Alcohol is meant to be a depressant, which is weird because I feel great. 

So which way are you going?

Do people know about St Johns Wort?  Its a herb sometimes taken for depression and anxiety.  "Wort" may stand out to beer drinkers - wort is the beer mixture before yeast is added to ferment it.

This dude from back in the day named John used the flower now called St Johns Wort in the beer he brewed for those suffering from depression.  Thats where the name came from.  

It worked well enough to have name of plant changed to celebrate him and is used to this day to treat depression.

Ever noticed the "brewed in accordance with the Bavarian Purity act of 1500 (whatever year)" thing on some beer?  Thats celebrating the legal adoption of a churches edict that thought beer with any healing properties was witch craft, so they made it so only hops could be added to wort.  Hops make us sleepy and increase estrogen, by the way.

Before that gruits - beer with out hops - was used for a variety of ailments depending on their adjuncts.

I'm confident we can make a anti depressant beer once again!

I have never taken St. John's Wort. Not supposed to take it with SSRIs. Have you taken it? Has it been effective?

I hate to be such a downer, but I don't think doctors understand the depth of my depression. It isn't suicidal depression, but really drugs, sex, and sleep is how I get my kicks. I don't do anything with my life. 

29 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

I have never taken St. John's Wort. Not supposed to take it with SSRIs. Have you taken it? Has it been effective?

I hate to be such a downer, but I don't think doctors understand the depth of my depression. It isn't suicidal depression, but really drugs, sex, and sleep is how I get my kicks. I don't do anything with my life. 

do you have a job?

The doctor said I had atypical depression and offered meds. So I feel tired and socially awkward and now and then I have some mania. So I probably self medicate with beer. It's not real depression like if something good happens it effects my mood. So think I come across as a lazy, jinbering idiot who drinks a lot. Long periods of lethargy leads to mania which leads to beer. This is basically my lifestyle. 

16 hours ago, arnold layne said:

I speak from experience when I say that one does those things usually in order to avoid completing another task. It keeps the mind occupied fills the empty spaces but relying on it gets in the way of getting shit done. Unfortunately, that is something only you can figure out and it's up to you to break certain habits and at least attempt to do the things you find difficult or try to actively avoid.

Are you currently under cognitive behavioral therapy, or at least been referred for it? Medication can only help with the symptoms, it doesn't remove the cause.

Hah, nah. I can't really afford it. 

I do my best to go outside and do stuff though. I am actually pretty good at golf, so I go to the driving range quite frequently. 

I also like to joyride. Sometimes I drive two hours away for the hell of it and see some place I have never been before. 

I have come along way though. My main thing is just to see the positive side in things and take a deep breath. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, arnold layne said:

My Mom takes it and finds it effective.  Its an herb that requires substantial research to decide to utilize or not - much more so then a chamomile tea or something.  When she first started using it she felt much better.  Many herbs should be used in cycles with 2-7 day breaks every month or so.

I've been growing some for 3 years and finally harvested a bit this year.  I'll be making some probiotic soda/pop with it.  In future, larger harvest, I hope to make the beer.  Pop will also have chamomile and lemon balm so will be a sleepy time beer replacement.  I plan to put recipe in home cookin' thread if anyones interested.  

If its sometimes hard to get motivated and just drinking beer, maybe can get motivated to brew cheaper, healthier and potentially beneficial beer?

5p1Aagvl.jpg                       sSxayhel.jpg

In Garden.  Organic seedlings were $4 and its a weed so not picky about soil and no need to fertilize.   And drying in my bed room on old screen along with chamomile and lemon balm.  

12 hours ago, wasted said:

The doctor said I had atypical depression and offered meds. So I feel tired and socially awkward and now and then I have some mania. So I probably self medicate with beer. It's not real depression like if something good happens it effects my mood. So think I come across as a lazy, jinbering idiot who drinks a lot. Long periods of lethargy leads to mania which leads to beer. This is basically my lifestyle. 

i want to give you a hug :hug:

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

i want to give you a hug :hug:

Don't worry I'm fine. I think the medical terminology soumds more serious. I'm just sleepy all the time, but then might get really into something. I don't think I meed meds.

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Don't worry I'm fine. I think the medical terminology soumds more serious. I'm just sleepy all the time, but then might get really into something. I don't think I meed meds.

Meds can sometimes be a help, sleeping a lot is often a sign of depression. 

14 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Meds can sometimes be a help, sleeping a lot is often a sign of depression. 

I'm more day sleepy. The doctor offered meds but I just don't feel that bad. I'm used to it. I didn't know what he meant when he said atypical depression. I thought he meant like a common depression like just being down. When. I looked it up it wasn't that but then I just sort of forgot about it. Symptons are me though. Like if I feel sleepy in the day but I go out or get into something then I don't sleep much at all. People always used to think I smoked so much weed. But I didn't I prefer uppers to counteract the heaviness I feel. People I think get shocked because I look all dopey then they say something then I'm talking none stop at them. I don't feel bad or have an overly negative outlook, I'm just annoying!

• Like 2