The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

17 hours ago, PappyTron said:

True, but the sad part is that some people still peddle the narrative that Liverpool fans were drunk and charged the turnstiles, causing the crush, even though the findings have said, 100%, that that never happened. It's taken 27 years for those involved to be found out for what the did that day and the subsequent coverup and they've had 27 years of careers and lives, whilst the families have gone through Hell, never giving up hope.

I think it goes back to how many tickets were sold and how badly designed the stadium was. And how the fans were basically caged like animals. In the olden days of yore there was just a wall at the bottom of the Kop for example and crushes were commonplace. But fans just jumped that wall and lay on the floor if it got too much. Once the cages came it's pretty obvious it was going to happen. 

Once the hooligan political football got in play then cages and treatment of fans would enivitably lead to this kind of thing. Just to stop fans running on the pitch and offending the 9 O Clock news. So you got people killed. 

Obviously the cop who opened the gate was doing so because the fans wanted in to that game, had tickets. So greed is a part, the money they got from squeezing fans in etc. 

But once the cover up starts, it's really just the cops attitudes to these fans, they are all holigan scum and we can treat them like criminals. I wouldn't be surprised really if you can trace it back to the Sports minister and whatever political spin they put on football games that really just filters down into institutions attitudes. Of course it's hypocritical in a way or jealousy is involved. But in an ironic way painting football fans as criminals lead them to become criminals themselves. 

I don't think nailing a few cops up helps really because it makes us ignore that everyone in football was to blame. Clubs, fans, police everyone lead to that situation. You could cite the clubs greed for selling too many tickets and the ground's design, then the fans aggressiveness to get in. And then one innocent human error. That's all way before people started trying to save their careers. Yeah nail those guys but you have to look at the real reasons. Standing is okay and safe if you allocate sensible tickets and have sensible fans. But any organisation goes out the window if fans are storming the gates. Or even if there's just too many fans with tickets. It was going to happen eventually. 

Cant really blame the fans aggressiveness to get in, i mean its just a human rush, its not really aggressiveness, when a shitload of people move forward like that this is the sort of thing that happens.  All they were was people who paid their whack to see a game of football.

A really weird match. Villareal were nothing special, yet Klopp didn't bring Sturridge on to press for a goal and when he did bring a striker on it was Benteke in about the 88th minute. I can't help but think that if Humongous D had been on, at least for the second half, we would have won that game, no problems.

• Like 1

On 28 April 2016 at 7:58 PM, Len B'stard said:

Cant really blame the fans aggressiveness to get in, i mean its just a human rush, its not really aggressiveness, when a shitload of people move forward like that this is the sort of thing that happens.  All they were was people who paid their whack to see a game of football.

It's a factor though. You don't such pile ups at the opera. In fact it was kind of part of the fun. It was accepted. 

On 28 April 2016 at 7:58 PM, Len B'stard said:

It's a factor though. You don't such pile ups at the opera. In fact it was kind of part of the fun. It was accepted. 

23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

5,000- 1 at the beginning of the season! That is the Buster Douglas of a football league campaign.

I came here to post that too; 5, 000 to 1!

If I had a time machine...

21 hours ago, Snake-Pit said:

I came here to post that too; 5, 000 to 1!

If I had a time machine...

Bookies never would paid out, if you put down a big bet. It would have been passed off as a clerical error.

Munich are lot better now that Pep doesn't have them playing that tiki-taka nonsense they were playing a few years ago when Real hammered them.

-edit-

Simone just shoved the guy official up the substitute signal. Surely he'll get a touchline ban? Referee didn't see it.

Edited by AtariLegend