The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Gary Neville or Gareth Southgate haha?

Oh dear god, really? :lol:

I feel sorry for the next manager, what can they do about that defence and midfield? A blind man could wander through our midfield without getting tackled. And a blind granny could score against Hart! 

I'm thinking England are just going to have to wait for the next crop of talent to come through, this team is bad but there's been times we haven't even qualified for tournaments, so just going to have to have fingers crossed we have some good kids coming through. 

I wonder what it is though that Italy and Germany do to continuously have good national teams? We should spy on them. 

10 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Yeah yeah and our hooligans start all the trouble and we're the worst people in the world, what can i say, sorry you weren't born in England ;)

Suffice to say without England you'd all be watching the Eurovision Queers contest instead of football so have that, football exists because of England.

What has your country offered the world?  What, clog dancing?  Patterned sweaters maybe?  Communism?  Exactly, so sit down and shut the fuck up.

And looking to the past is why you lot can't see how bleak the future is - winning the world cup 50 years ago (on home soil with dodgy decisions) and inventing the game mean sweet fuck all boy. 

And then there's the typical arrogance, you treated Iceland as a joke, that a victory was a formality. Now look who the joke is. 

31 minutes ago, SoniaRose said:

And then there's the typical arrogance, you treated Iceland as a joke, that a victory was a formality. Now look who the joke is. 

Ehh, that is simply not true - and I read the English papers and watch/listen to most of the punditry. 

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Oh dear god, really? :lol:

I feel sorry for the next manager, what can they do about that defence and midfield? A blind man could wander through our midfield without getting tackled. And a blind granny could score against Hart! 

I'm thinking England are just going to have to wait for the next crop of talent to come through, this team is bad but there's been times we haven't even qualified for tournaments, so just going to have to have fingers crossed we have some good kids coming through. 

I wonder what it is though that Italy and Germany do to continuously have good national teams? We should spy on them. 

Neville and Southgate are pathetic. They just have the aura of defeatism all over them. Stuart Pearce was a disaster with the age teams and that Team GB nonsense. Shearer actually put his name forward on Match of the Day. I think the only guy is Redknapp. Curbishley maybe? I don't want to see the likes of Pardew or Allardyce near the national team! A wild card would be Eddie Howe. Any bugger? Maybe David Cameron? He'll be out of a job soon.

If you are going foreign, the Mourinho ship has sailed, but there is Benitez currently looking forward to Championship football with the Toon! He has abilities to win knock out football.

52 minutes ago, SoniaRose said:

And looking to the past is why you lot can't see how bleak the future is - winning the world cup 50 years ago (on home soil with dodgy decisions) and inventing the game mean sweet fuck all boy. 

Inventing the game means nothing, oh what, you would've just came up with it yourself eventually?  Course you would sweetheart.

And who treated Iceland like a joke, word was pretty consistently that England had better not fuck this up.

Quite frankly the arrogance is just your pre-existing prejudice, based on your total lack of contribution around here except to slag England off, particularly the fans.  

Arrogance, suck my cock, hows that?  You're sitting here discussing a sport the English created in the English language slagging off the English...apparently all that means nothing though.  You even try and type like you're from England! :lol:. 'Dodgy desicions' and 'sweet fuck all'.  

Edited by Len B'stard

9 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Inventing the game means nothing, oh what, you would've just came up with it yourself eventually?  Course you would sweetheart.

And who treated Iceland like a joke, word was pretty consistently that England had better not fuck this up.

Quite frankly the arrogance is just your pre-existing prejudice, based on your total lack of contribution around here except to slag England off, particularly the fans.  

Arrogance, suck my cock, hows that?  You're sitting here discussing a sport the English created in the English language slagging off the English...apparently all that means nothing though.  You even try and type like you're from England! :lol:. 'Dodgy desicions' and 'sweet fuck all'.  

If we can summarize what she says to, "The Enlglish team is shit," then she has a point. You say so yourself, but I gues sit is harsher to hear it from others ;)

• Like 1

On ITV's live punditry they were even discussing the Icelander's strengths, danger areas (if you are English), including their key Icelander players to watch out for. That does not seem to be an example of an ''Englishman dismissing Iceland as a formality''. If the English were cocky, we wouldn't have bothered discussing Iceland at all as we are ;;going to steam roll them''.

Trust me, England have not been cocky pertaining to their national football team in years!

We always joke, every competition, about ''them getting the early bus home'' or ''winning the thing on their playstations''. This is the sort of banter you hear in the pubs.

PS

HECK, consult this very thread. I always joke with Len about them coming home early and wasting his money on his shirt. I think you will see evidence of this in this thread.

Edited by DieselDaisy

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

If we can summarize what she says to, "The Enlglish team is shit," then she has a point. You say so yourself, but I gues sit is harsher to hear it from others ;)

Summarise as in edit you mean?  Well to summarise what I'm saying she can go fuck herself.  And probably does.  

1 minute ago, Len B'stard said:

Summarise as in edit you mean?  Well to summarise what I'm saying she can go fuck herself.  And probably does.  

Heh.

I can't really support the way you English flagellate yourselves over this loss. You do have a tendency to be overly critical of yourselves and your sport teams. Looking at the tournament as a whole, the English team didn't perform that much worse against Iceland than in other matches. That's just how good you are. In fact I think you were slightly better than Iceland, dominating the pitch, and really deserved a win. So chin up and all that.

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is this English bashing not the equivalent of kicking a man when he is down? Iceland did England a thorough working over last night. We can be spared further criticism!

Yeah, see that would require a bit of class.

They do seem to approach the competition differently, the two Irelands and Welsh (and Iceland). Their fans just get beery - but happy and beery, not morose and angry beery (a la Englishmen) - and their teams play for the badge and national pride and if they lose, they come away happy because they know their team have tried.

With England it is all so weighty. The players look like they are peeing their pants when they come out of the tunnel let alone when they are 1-0 down - there doesn't seem any elements of 'enjoying the competition' and 'enjoying your football''. The press are sniping. The FA are sending negative signals. The manager starts inevitably flapping (or going insane, as was the case with Fabio). The whole campaign is so negative. Even when England are winning (e.g. v Wales) it is negative, picked apart, tense, built upon rocky foundations.

It has always been that way with Ingerland in footy.

It is just the footy team also. It doesn't seem to exist with our cricket fans, where the fans got called the Barmy Army for supporting the England flops of the '90s, or the Rugger.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Neville and Southgate are pathetic. They just have the aura of defeatism all over them. Stuart Pearce was a disaster with the age teams and that Team GB nonsense. Shearer actually put his name forward on Match of the Day. I think the only guy is Redknapp. Curbishley maybe? I don't want to see the likes of Pardew or Allardyce near the national team! A wild card would be Eddie Howe. Any bugger? Maybe David Cameron? He'll be out of a job soon.

If you are going foreign, the Mourinho ship has sailed, but there is Benitez currently looking forward to Championship football with the Toon! He has abilities to win knock out football.

I do not know how they havent asked Redknapp before now, the only thing I can think is it's the same reason they never asked Clough, they want a puppet.  For the last decade we have been saying Redknapp should get the job, but never happened and now I doubt he would want to. 

Shearer is someone I can see as the number two guy to be fair, looking at him on the panel of MOTD he has good knowledge and all the other ex players he's on with clearly have huge respect for him. I would welcome the Redknapp and Shearer era :) 

They could have Chris Waddle around to give them a motivational lecture every now and then :lol: his little rant was hilarious! 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is this English bashing not the equivalent of kicking a man when he is down? Iceland did England a thorough working over last night. We can be spared further criticism!

You English do most of the bashing. You have a very masochistic side.

We bash you for the EU referendum, though, because that seems to have been pure idiocy. We don't bash you for simply being lousy at football.

3 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I do not know how they havent asked Redknapp before now, the only thing I can think is it's the same reason they never asked Clough, they want a puppet.  For the last decade we have been saying Redknapp should get the job, but never happened and now I doubt he would want to. 

Shearer is someone I can see as the number two guy to be fair, looking at him on the panel of MOTD he has good knowledge and all the other ex players he's on with clearly have huge respect for him. I would welcome the Redknapp and Shearer era :) 

They could have Chris Waddle around to give them a motivational lecture every now and then :lol: his little rant was hilarious! 

Yes, they plumped for Hodgson instead of Redknapp.

Harry and Wor Alan. That sounds about right.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

We bash you for the EU referendum, though, because that seems to have been pure idiocy. We don't bash you for simply being lousy at football.

You are not even in the bloody EU! Your politicians are wiser than ours were in the '70s when we joined the bloody thing. How could you possibly know how wank (or not) the EU is, and be so stridently pro-EU?

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Well most of us seem to think we will be just fine thanks ;)

If the EU hadn't taken advantage of us and milked off us, we would have stayed. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Cloughie would've been brilliant!  Shearer I'd like.  

• Like 1