The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

3 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

My favourite England defender ever, what a legend!  

My favourite player of all time, Mr Arsenal himself!  Bit wank as a manager but I'll love him forever!

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SoniaRose said:

Get a proper manager that won't succumb to the delusion of your press or fans. 

Where the heck is your team placed? I hope for the aptness of your triumphalism (at England's demise) that it is one of the teams in the last eight!

So where do we place Roy in the worst managers list? He got England qualified (in some style) but jesus, he made a dog's dinner of tournament football. I've never seen such tactical ineptness. Here is my list of rotting England managers,

1/ The Turnip (got to be?)

2/ Wally with the Brolly (dreary Newcastle manager also)

3/ Hodgson

4/ Capello (went actually insane!)

5/ Revie

Kev was iffy also, despite being fine at Newcastle.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

So where do we place Roy in the worst managers list? He got England qualified (in some style) but jesus, he made a dog's dinner of tournament football. I've never seen such tactical ineptness. Here is my list of rotting England managers,

1/ The Turnip (got to be?)

2/ Wally with the Brolly (dreary Newcastle manager also)

3/ Hodgson

4/ Capello (went actually insane!)

5/ Revie

Kev was iffy also, despite being fine at Newcastle.

1. Sven

2. McClaren

3. Hodgson

4. Hoddle

5. Crapello

I think that's about right for me, it's difficult because we have so much choice when it comes to utterly useless managers. 

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is this English bashing not the equivalent of kicking a man when he is down? Iceland did England a thorough working over last night. We can be spared further criticism!

Whats this fucking WE shit??? Your team is still in this competition!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

1. Sven

2. McClaren

3. Hodgson

4. Hoddle

5. Crapello

I think that's about right for me, it's difficult because we have so much choice when it comes to utterly useless managers. 

Are you a fan of the turnip?

Sven at least had England in the quarters though. 2002 was his best competition with victories over Argentina and (convincingly) Denmark, and he was unlucky to lose Rooney in Euro 2004. He sort of chocked in the last eight. He made a bit of a dog's dinner in 2006, his poorest tournament by far. Maybe if he didn't spend so much time shagging Ulrika he would have pushed England beyond the last eight stage? I don't think he is that bad - certainly not that great either. Hoddle had tactical and strategic abilities but lost the dressing room through quacks. He also refused to take Gazza. He definitely should have done better with that team of players but he isn't absolutely rotten like Hodgson, The Wally and Turnip.

PS

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are not even in the bloody EU! Your politicians are wiser than ours were in the '70s when we joined the bloody thing. How could you possibly know how wank (or not) the EU is, and be so stridently pro-EU?

We have had two referendums over it, and both times we have voted against becoming members. I don't know if that makes us wiser - I suspect we, too, voted more on gut feelings and whatever our politicians convinced us were right, rather than careful considering the complete pros and cons. We had our last referendum in 1994.

I wouldn't call myself stridently pro-EU. I am pro what I think the EU should be, but have an increasing awareness it falls short from that ideal.

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

We have had two referendums over it, and both times we have voted against becoming members. I don't know if that makes us wiser - I suspect we, too, voted more on gut feelings and whatever our politicians convinced us were right, rather than careful considering the complete pros and cons. We had our last referendum in 1994.

I wouldn't call myself stridently pro-EU. I am pro what I think the EU should be, but have an increasing awareness it falls short from that ideal.

Well then, how have you got the nerve to criticise us from laving the rotten thing when you yourselves have rejected joining it twice?

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Are you a fan of the turnip?

Sven at least had England in the quarters though. 2002 was his best competition with victories over Argentina and (convincingly) Denmark, and he was unlucky to lose Rooney in Euro 2004. He sort of chocked in the last eight. He made a bit of a dog's dinner in 2006, his poorest tournament by far. Maybe if he didn't spend so much time shagging Ulrika he would have pushed England beyond the last eight stage? I don't think he is that bad - certainly not that great either. Hoddle had tactical and strategic abilities but lost the dressing room through quacks. He also refused to take Gazza. He definitely should have done better with that team of players but he isn't absolutely rotten like Hodgson, The Wally and Turnip.

PS

I can barely remember Taylor :lol: 

I didn't really get into football until I was about 14 as there were no girls teams at school and I lived with my single parent mum, so she wouldn't have it on the telly or talk about it lol. We made our own girls team at school and I took myself off to games at Bramell Lane. 

Not taking Gazza was a mistake, but just look at him :( 

6 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I can barely remember Taylor :lol: 

I didn't really get into football until I was about 14 as there were no girls teams at school and I lived with my single parent mum, so she wouldn't have it on the telly or talk about it lol. We made our own girls team at school and I took myself off to games at Bramell Lane. 

Not taking Gazza was a mistake, but just look at him :( 

He refused to take Gazza because Gazza got caught eating a Kebab!

23 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Next up is supposed to be Gareth Southgate. I say dig up Cloughie and let him have a crack at it. I reckon he'd still be more inspiring than Southgate.

They never gave Bobby Moore a chance...but they will Southgate, this is a sick, venal, evil, twisted world.

55 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well then, how have you got the nerve to criticise us from laving the rotten thing when you yourselves have rejected joining it twice?

Why do you think I am not critical of Norway not joining the EU, too?

That being said, how Brexit took place was extraordinarily ridiculous. Have you seen the last episode of John Oliver?

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He refused to take Gazza because Gazza got caught eating a Kebab!

That was Hoddle who dropped him for eating the kebab. It was a disgrace. Thats what Gazza does, he eats kebabs. Deal with it with it Hoddle.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Why do you think I am not critical of Norway not joining the EU, too?

That being said, how Brexit took place was extraordinarily ridiculous. Have you seen the last episode of John Oliver?

Have you not heard all of these people in the European Union, Greeks, Spanish, Irish - even Germans and French - who hate the thing? Don't listen to me (not that you would) or those ghastly ''racist and bigoted'' British Leavers which you so disparage. Listen to other people in the EU - heck, even the majority of British Remainers would concede that the EU is in dire need of reform.

And you want to join this? As it stands right now, amidst clamours for referenda in other countries?

It is the equivalent of wanting to buy a ticket on board the Titanic, knowing the fate of that ship!!

5 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

They never gave Bobby Moore a chance...but they will Southgate, this is a sick, venal, evil, twisted world.

Harry Redknaps ship seems to have passed now so I'd go with Big Sam. Go back to route one, cans of lager sprayed around after the games in the big communal bath Big Sams big bollocks swinging everywhere. The players may man up a bit and take some responsibility during the match once they've experienced that :lol: you probably don't get it in the academies turns them into little girls. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Have you not heard all of these people in the European Union, Greeks, Spanish, Irish - even Germans and French - who hate the thing? Don't listen to me (not that you would) or those ghastly ''racist and bigoted'' British Leavers which you so disparage. Listen to other people in the EU - heck, even the majority of British Remainers would concede that the EU is in dire need of reform.

And you want to join this? As it stands right now, amidst clamours for referenda in other countries?

It is the equivalent of wanting to buy a ticket on board the Titanic, knowing the fate of that ship!!

Just like there are many people against the EU there are many people for it. Probably much more.

Don't insinuate I consider all Leavers for "racist and bigoted". What I have said, and which you exaggerate, is that xenophobia was a factor in the decision. If you disagree with that statement, please say so, and we can have a laugh, but don't twist my words.

I want to join the EU? Have I said that? I think I said to Amir that I voted YES back in 1994 but would have to look much more carefully into the matter before voting again. Fact is that Norway manages quite well outside of the EU. I fear Britain won't. So I could be against Britain leaving and yet for Norway remaining outside. That being said, I do believe I would have voted YES again if a new referendum happened.

Yes, EU is in need of reform. I suppose it always will be in need of reform. Like all large organizations.

Not Big Sam!! Long throw defensive 'Bolton tactics'.

26 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Just like there are many people against the EU there are many people for it. Probably much more.

Don't insinuate I consider all Leavers for "racist and bigoted". What I have said, and which you exaggerate, is that xenophobia was a factor in the decision. If you disagree with that statement, please say so, and we can have a laugh, but don't twist my words.

I want to join the EU? Have I said that? I think I said to Amir that I voted YES back in 1994 but would have to look much more carefully into the matter before voting again. Fact is that Norway manages quite well outside of the EU. I fear Britain won't. So I could be against Britain leaving and yet for Norway remaining outside. That being said, I do believe I would have voted YES again if a new referendum happened.

Yes, EU is in need of reform. I suppose it always will be in need of reform. Like all large organizations.

You have the best of both worlds as you are in the EEA. I do not see why you would want further, especially as an organisation as it stands now? Nobody in their right mind would join now, just like nobody in their right mind would join the Eurozone post-the Greek situation.

I am glad most of Norway is more sensible than you, rejecting this thing twice.