The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You have the best of both worlds as you are in the EEA. I do not see why you would want further, especially as an organisation as it stands now? Nobody in their right mind would join now, just like nobody in their right mind would join the Eurozone post-the Greek situation.

I am glad most of Norway is more sensible than you, rejecting this thing twice.

"This thing" is not the same now as it was in 1994, nor before that when we did the first referendum. In addidion, we are not the same nor is the rest of the world. If we were to vote today it would be over something else than what we voted over before. That being said, I am sure most Norwegians would vote NO again. Because, as I said, we manage quite well outside of the EU.

To me it's tactically that Roy was naive.

We need a Cup manager like Venables or Harry. I like the runs Pardew puts together. Get a set team playing together as a team. 

But England always face defensive teams. So Big Sam's set plays could really be interesting. Playing strengths of the English game with defensive mind set, counter attacking football after a scramble long throw into the box. Did I see one well worked corner? We also need a couple of leaders and someone to put foot in in mid. Better versions of Catermole and Barton. But the FA aren't winners. It's like a Michael Caine spy movie. If we are going out to frozen food I want see a headbutt or two. Put a tackle in! Rooney was the last to try but the media put him on a leash. 

This time it should have been Leicester Spurs players on the pitch. Rooney was worthless. Drinkwater would have been helpful in a defensive counter attack team. Put Carrol up there for set pieces. Press high up the pitch, Get the goal, then hit them on break with Vardy and Sturridge. 442 is perfect. 3 ball winners and 1 playmaker who can be rotated. We have the players to crush Iceland. But just playing for stats isn't going to work. 

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Where the heck is your team placed? I hope for the aptness of your triumphalism (at England's demise) that it is one of the teams in the last eight!

Ah good, that means I can make fun of England all I want :lol:

• Like 3

Everybody can make fun of a team that underperforms, regardless of how good your own national team might be ;) But again, England did quite well. Got themselves qualified and all the way to the round of 16. Sure, they got beat by a team from a country with less people than Croydon and with barely any outdoor pitches, but they really tried very hard and that counts for something!

Italy always put out a rugged team full of hardmen. England team is full of pussies.

You've got to mix it to knock Spain off their game. England are trying to be Spain with a few wingers. Selection was a problem. Rooney had bad season he wasn't fired up. If you can't create or score from mid might as well play a workhorse like Milner. 

It's more about the balance of the team and choosing a lane. 

Rashford is fine. But tactically the selections were wrong. 

In the prem Vardy for example is part of defensive team. His paced is used on counter attack. So if you play him you've got to orchestrate that situation. 

But if the other team parks bus. Then you need a way to unlock defensive. Maybe with someone with ariel threat like Carrol. As well as fiddlers like Sterling/Lallana/Rashford. 

But the team was set up to play one way. If you are dominating you need a playmaker like Sterling tic tacing through. A give and go from Sturridge. Someone who can deliver a cross to Carrol like Lallana maybe. In central mid you need 2 strong mids who can feed ballas to playmakers or drop back a make 6 unpassable defensivy. 

With Rooney and Alli its too attacking, with no way to revert to defensive counter attack. There's no balance or flexibility in that 433. When they went 1-0 up. They need to drop into a 442 and take off Kane and use Vardy on breank. 

So a balanced team would be 

hart

walker cahil smalling betrand

Milner Henderson  Dier Lallana

Sturridge Carrol

you dominating. Wide to Milner or Lallana cross into Carrol. Or into feet of Sturridge. Milner and Henderson can score from outside box. 

Once you get the goal. Off goes Carrol for Vardy you drop back into counter attack. You've got Milner, Henderson, Dier to defend. Bring on Sterling for his pace. 

We got the goal from a pen not Rooney or Alli breaking defense down. Just a fluke peno. Based on possession not penetration. 

But we had no way to defend that 1-0 in a dangerous way. 

So the selection at squad and match day wasn't right and that tactically made us rigid. 

Just a possession team. Not thinking of various ways to score enough especially against defensive teams. 

This was England's team on the pitch was some like a 2-5-3?

hart

cahil Smalling

Walker Alli Dier Roney Rose

Sturridge Kane Sterling

so attacking but no goals from

open play. Having got the first goal there's no way back to a 442 counter attacking team. 

Edited by wasted
Op

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The main problem was not putting on their best team. What, did they save Rashford foo the quarter finals??

It's more picking a flexible line up that can alternate between dominating and def counter attack. Over comitting to one style is a mistake. They got the early goal. But didn't have players to go 442 def counter attack. That's ok if you score 3 but they didn't so Rooney and Alli were a waste of time. Henderson and Milner are resl midfielders that could drop in and defend a 1-0. With Kane and Sturridge and Sterling on counter attack. Then bring on Vardy for Kane. 

5 hours ago, Juventino said:

Ah good, that means I can make fun of England all I want :lol:

I suppose it does if your team are in the top eight, but it seems rather hypocritical if your team are one of the other Euro flops such as Sweden, Russia or the Czechs - or for that matter the teams that didn't qualify in the first place such as the Scottish and Dutch. The recipient of this criticism can merely say in reply, ''well we're better than you'', or at a minimum, ''we're at least as bad as you so why are you having a pop at us?''.

I didn't for instance see such levels of triumphalism when the Swedes, who looked equally as awful, were dumped out, or for that manner any of the other teams! Why signal out England?

PS

Wasted for manager. Diet: Japanese beer and microwaved turkey burgers. Entertainment: Hot Shots and Platoon - Chinese Democracy on repeat in the team hotel. Tactics: pretty crazy really but it can't be any worse than Roy's.

Edited by DieselDaisy

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I suppose it does if your team are in the top eight, but it seems rather hypocritical if your team are one of the other Euro flops such as Sweden, Russia or the Czechs - or for that matter the teams that didn't qualify in the first place such as the Scottish and Dutch. The recipient of this criticism can merely say in reply, ''well we're better than you'', or at a minimum, ''we're at least as bad as you so why are you having a pop at us?''.

Because underperforming is worthy of criticism.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Because underperforming is worthy of criticism.

Yes but this, the original posts by soniarose, wasn't criticism per se but complete triumphalism. It wasn't a tactical critique of team for selection for instance, or an advocacy of 433, but essentially ''haha you're shit and your fans are delusional'. It does lead one to speculate her country of origin.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes but this, the original posts by soniarose, wasn't criticism per se but complete triumphalism. It wasn't a tactical critique of team for selection for instance, or an advocacy of 433, but essentially ''haha you're shit and your fans are delusional'. It does lead one to speculate her country of origin.

But on the other hand, she says nothing you and your media are not saying yourself.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

But on the other hand, she says nothing you and your media are not saying yourself.

True - except for the delusion part where she was very much in error (the English approached this campaign circumspectly) - but if someone from an outside country is saying, ''you're shit. Your fans and manager are shit. Hahaha'' I'm going to hope you are a German or Italian.

4 hours ago, SoniaRose said:

The suggestions for new manager are hilariously bad. 

We don't want a foreign manager, ours aren't very good but at least lose as England. Losing with an italian manager is worse. 

i guess we have to look at prem and ask whether having so many foreign players is good for English football. I get the impression England players worship Spanish football. 

It's more about the balance of the team and choosing a lane. 

Rashford is fine. But tactically the selections were wrong. 

In the prem Vardy for example is part of defensive team. His paced is used on counter attack. So if you play him you've got to orchestrate that situation. 

But if the other team parks bus. Then you need a way to unlock defensive. Maybe with someone with ariel threat like Carrol. As well as fiddlers like Sterling/Lallana/Rashford. 

But the team was set up to play one way. If you are dominating you need a playmaker like Sterling tic tacing through. A give and go from Sturridge. Someone who can deliver a cross to Carrol like Lallana maybe. In central mid you need 2 strong mids who can feed ballas to playmakers or drop back a make 6 unpassable defensivy. 

With Rooney and Alli its too attacking, with no way to revert to defensive counter attack. There's no balance or flexibility in that 433. When they went 1-0 up. They need to drop into a 442 and take off Kane and use Vardy on breank. 

So a balanced team would be 

hart

walker cahil smalling betrand

Milner Henderson  Dier Lallana

Sturridge Carrol

you dominating. Wide to Milner or Lallana cross into Carrol. Or into feet of Sturridge. Milner and Henderson can score from outside box. 

Once you get the goal. Off goes Carrol for Vardy you drop back into counter attack. You've got Milner, Henderson, Dier to defend. Bring on Sterling for his pace. 

We got the goal from a pen not Rooney or Alli breaking defense down. Just a fluke peno. Based on possession not penetration. 

But we had no way to defend that 1-0 in a dangerous way. 

So the selection at squad and match day wasn't right and that tactically made us rigid. 

Just a possession team. Not thinking of various ways to score enough especially against defensive teams. 

This was England's team on the pitch was some like a 2-5-3?

hart

cahil Smalling

Walker Alli Dier Roney Rose

Lallana Kane Sturridge

so attacking but no goals from

open play. Having got the first goal there's no way back to a 442 counter attacking team. 

Edited by wasted
Johnny

1 hour ago, wasted said:

We don't want a foreign manager, ours aren't very good but at least lose as England.

The only time England's made any hint of being a contender on tournaments recently, was when Sven was in charge. Not every English manager's gonna be at Robson's level. But he was from a time when the top teams there were managed by English, now even the vast underdog champions of the Prem have an Italian in charge.

Edited by moreblack

40 minutes ago, moreblack said:

The only time England's made any hint of being a contender on tournaments recently, was when Sven was in charge. Not every English manager's gonna be at Robson's level. But he was from a time when the top teams there were managed by English, now even the vast underdog champions of the Prem have an Italian in charge.

Sven's best competition was 2002. 2006 was a bit of a disaster and 2004, mediocre (unfortunate that Rooney was knackered). Capello was obviously a complete disaster. If going foreign, the FA would have really wanted Jose but that ship has sailed, leaving Benitez, who surely can be rescued from Championship Football, and Bilic.

2006 England sort of stuttered to the quarters. I remember an unconvincing 1-0 victory over Ecuador. I think that was the campaign when England ceased to be a good team, who were a bit unfortunate on the field or who were knocked out on pens, to being simply shite.

Edited by DieselDaisy

49 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Exactly so we should look at that and wonder what we are doing. The prem

doesn't help the England side really. 

The biggest problem is losing our way of playing. We are a copy of italian or Spanish football. Dooesn't look like we have mentality for it. 

Benitez does understand and admires the English style so if you are going foreign, he would be the best choice, however I would still plumb for Harry first: 1/ Redknapp 2/ Benitez 3/ my one year old nephew

Bloody hell!!! That weird scary Viking Handclap thing that the Iceland fans do, England fans doing it now at The Oval, England v Sri Lanka, as I speak (sky sports 2).

Redknapp hahahahaha

First thing you need to do is to stop thinking your players are special snowflakes that can't play for a foreign manager. Most of them do or have done it at their clubs. National team isn't any different. 

Players are currently managed by Pellegrini, Pochettino, Hiddink, Mourinho, Klopp, Koeman, Wenger and Ranieri

Redknapp fuckin lol

Just now, SoniaRose said:

Redknapp hahahahaha

First thing you need to do is to stop thinking your players are special snowflakes that can't play for a foreign manager. Most of them do or have done it at their clubs. National team isn't any different. 

Players are currently managed by Pellegrini, Pochettino, Hiddink, Mourinho, Klopp, Koeman, Wenger and Ranieri

Redknapp fuckin lol

Don't see what is so amusing? His credential are certainly good, winning the FA Cup for Portsmouth and steering Spurs into the top four, Champions' League position. He knows the English game in and out. He seems to be able to make smaller clubs play better than the sum of their parts.

You have to remember that the English have had two foreign flops already - indeed, Capello was a nightmare.