The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the newest football/soccer thread for the upcoming season.

As ever, we'll be running fantasy football:

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

League code: 1188020-282435

Please do feel free to join in.

With plenty more managerial replacements, big transfers, and intrigue, I'm sure we'll have a great season ahead.

Predictions for the Top 4 and beyond?

Edited by The Sandman

• 3 months later...
No, just stating the Invincibles weren't all they're made out to be

No, they were exactly what they were made out to be, a team that had a 49 game unbeaten run of Premier League games, like it says on the banners. You'll understand if your team ever has a mediocre run over a 10 year spell again how precious you end up getting about the records you do hold :lol:

What did you think of Bayern going 53 games unbeaten recently?

Has been really disappointing for Inter so far. May need some help in the transfer window just to make a Europa spot with how things have been going. Hopefully, the management change will inject some new energy to go on a run.

Would be nice to see Donovan go out with an MLS Cup win Sunday. Should be a good game--New England has been fun to watch, especially since adding Jermaine Jones with Lee Nguyen in the midfield, and with Robbie Keane leading LA. Going to miss seeing Thierry Henry play in the MLS. Really had a good year. Sounds like he's planning on returning to Arsenal in a coaching capacity in the near future.

No, just stating the Invincibles weren't all they're made out to be

No, they were exactly what they were made out to be, a team that had a 49 game unbeaten run of Premier League games, like it says on the banners. You'll understand if your team ever has a mediocre run over a 10 year spell again how precious you end up getting about the records you do hold :lol:

What did you think of Bayern going 53 games unbeaten recently?

I think the Bayern that won their treble, the pre-Guardiola teams is one of the best football team I've ever seen play.

Edited by Lennie Godber

Both messi and ronaldo scored hattricks again this weekend. Their goalscoring stats are just stupidly good. Its getting to the point where I reckon you have to start to questiom the quality of the defences in that league.

Interesting theory as they couldn't buy a goal in the world cup.

Both messi and ronaldo scored hattricks again this weekend. Their goalscoring stats are just stupidly good. Its getting to the point where I reckon you have to start to questiom the quality of the defences in that league.

Interesting theory as they couldn't buy a goal in the world cup.

Messi carried his fuckin' team to the final.

Fair enough don't get me wrong they are easily two of the best ever but they're scoring hattricks every few games. Ronaldo has scored more goals than he's played for Madrid and messi has 256 goals for barca. Their must be a way of slowing them down, they've been both in that league for years and years now, teams should have worked out a way to not get shown up time after time.

I'm trying to say its more about defences and other teams needing to step up a level I'm not trying to devalue what they achieved or how good they are. But fucking hell messi scored 71 goals in a season one year. You can't say that defences can let that happen year after year and not come in for some scrutiny. Every team wants to play nice football today and have a philosophy. What's wrong with the philosophy of defending well enough to not get beat 5-0. And having them twos stats look even slightly less freakish.

Our resident gooner Len must surely know where I'm coming from on this. Before Mr Wenger came along remember one nil to the arsenal?? That team prided themselves on defending well and knowing Ian Wright could pop up and get a goal. And I fucking loved that team in them days. Watching them in the European cup winners cup going away and drawing nil all and back to Highbury for 1-0. It was a fucking art and you just don't get that anymore. Which is why Arsenal lost 3-2 to Stoke by the way. Appalling defending there.

I love attractive football as much as anyone but it seems to have gone too far in one way now. Even fucking left backs and right backs want to be attacking wingers now. What's wrong with being a bloody good left back and priding yourself on that. Remember des walker. People could not get past him. He was a defender and he was fucking good at it that was his job.

Edited by spunko12345

Fair enough don't get me wrong they are easily two of the best ever but they're scoring hattricks every few games. Ronaldo has scored more goals than he's played for Madrid and messi has 256 goals for barca. Their must be a way of slowing them down, they've been both in that league for years and years now, teams should have worked out a way to not get shown up time after time.

I'm trying to say its more about defences and other teams needing to step up a level I'm not trying to devalue what they achieved or how good they are. But fucking hell messi scored 71 goals in a season one year. You can't say that defences can let that happen year after year and not come in for some scrutiny. Every team wants to play nice football today and have a philosophy. What's wrong with the philosophy of defending well enough to not get beat 5-0. And having them twos stats look even slightly less freakish.

Our resident gooner Len must surely know where I'm coming from on this. Before Mr Wenger came along remember one nil to the arsenal?? That team prided themselves on defending well and knowing Ian Wright could pop up and get a goal. And I fucking loved that team in them days. Watching them in the European cup winners cup going away and drawing nil all and back to Highbury for 1-0. It was a fucking art and you just don't get that anymore. Which is why Arsenal lost 3-2 to Stoke by the way. Appalling defending there.

I love attractive football as much as anyone but it seems to have gone too far in one way now. Even fucking left backs and right backs want to be attacking wingers now. What's wrong with being a bloody good left back and priding yourself on that. Remember des walker. People could not get past him. He was a defender and he was fucking good at it that was his job.

ONE GEORGIE GRAHAM, THERE'S ONLY ONE GEORGIE GRAHAM!!

They are really relying on Wengers philosophy than just buying great players. You've got to get a Costa or Suarez. Giroud just isn't a real threat. Is Oxlade really as good as Willian or Hazard? Oscar seems more effective than Carzola and Ozil. But I'm not sure they even know their best position. They just seem unsure what they are actually meant to be doing.

He was not short on goals at this World Cup. A lot of the time he was the main difference maker for them.

Actually that's a myth. He didn't do anything past the group stages.

At least Ronaldo who had basically been injured for a while before that had to play with a rubbish team whose only other non rubbish player's AKA Pepe is a psycho path, Coentrao who got injured first game and Nani who they'd have been better of playing with 8 players.

In defense of Messi though, he scored 4 goals against Arsenal that year in 1 game. Crazy to say it's just a La Liga thing.

Edited by AtariLegend

He was not short on goals at this World Cup. A lot of the time he was the main difference maker for them.

Actually that's a myth. He didn't do anything past the group stages.

He set up the winner for DiMaria aganst the Swiss. But yes no more goals after the group stages.

Edited by moreblack